By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

StarCraft MMO blasts into orbit
Blizzard's new sci-fi MMO is set to rock the world later this month, CVG has learned

The long-rumoured new instalment of Blizzard's massive StarCraft series is set to be unveiled later this month - and it's another massively-multiplayer online game in the style of World of Warcraft, CVG can reveal.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the StarCraft MMO will be unveiled at an upcoming Blizzard event on May 19 in South Korea - the epicentre of the sci-fi RTS series' rabid fandom.

The unveiling of the new instalment has previously been rumoured for the South Korea event, though we now know that the title is in fact an online spin-off and not a new RTS game as previously assumed.

Of course this is massive news for both Vivendi and the MMO world; Blizzard's other online offering World of Warcraft has topped 6 million subscribers and is arguably the biggest game around today.

The question is, is there room for both World of Warcraft and a StarCraft MMO? The later will have to be a very different type of online game to convince gamers to subscribe to both of Blizzard's pair.

We will of course let you know as soon as soon as Blizzard officially confirms the game on May 19.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163207

Around the Network

blizzard i know you're making loads of money on these, but please make us a real game for god's sake.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

well, starcraft is basically the only game koreans play, so why not make them pay each month to play the new one? smart business move even though i would have preferred SC2. I wonder how the RTS-crazy koreans are going to react. Or could it be a MMORTS if such a thing can exist/work?

Hmm, I just want to play games! I have been watching the Gears of War videos as of ate, and ...thinkin bout getting rid of my PS3 for the elite? any suggestions, I bought the wii and the PS3 for each of different reasons, It seems the slow sales of PS3 and inundations like GTA for the 360....decisions decisions, the only problem I have had wit hmiy wii is I have beat all the games and are waiting for the ones I want, already beat zelda a couple times and cant count how many times ive beat metal slug or red steel,gotta admit thought the wii and 360 look like they are having a pretty nice sized library coming out.

dpmnymkrprez said:
Hmm, I just want to play games! I have been watching the Gears of War videos as of ate, and ...thinkin bout getting rid of my PS3 for the elite? any suggestions, I bought the wii and the PS3 for each of different reasons, It seems the slow sales of PS3 and inundations like GTA for the 360....decisions decisions, the only problem I have had wit hmiy wii is I have beat all the games and are waiting for the ones I want, already beat zelda a couple times and cant count how many times ive beat metal slug or red steel,gotta admit thought the wii and 360 look like they are having a pretty nice sized library coming out.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Starcraft, but alright then...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

NIce. I can't wait.

I know people love their strategy games, but I will be getting this game if it's good in a heartbeat.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Wow... Go blizzard go. More games I dont give a damn about.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THIS IS LIKE DOOMSDAY NEWS TO ME!

I've waited almost 10 years to a succesor of Starcraft... And now they are making world of Starcraft?! This can't be true! I'm still in highschool so I can't play it, cause i know some people who play world of Warcraft and have foked up their last year... So... That means NO Starcraft for me, and if you look at my name... You'd understand that means DOOM for me!...

I FOKING HATE THIS! THEY BETTER MAKE ME A NORMAL STARCRAFT 2 GAME OR STARCRAFT GHOST FOR WII GOD DAMN IT!.

THE NETHERLANDS

StarcraftManiac said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THIS IS LIKE DOOMSDAY NEWS TO ME!

I've waited almost 10 years to a succesor of Starcraft... And now they are making world of Starcraft?! This can't be true! I'm still in highschool so I can't play it, cause i know some people who play world of Warcraft and have foked up their last year... So... That means NO Starcraft for me, and if you look at my name... You'd understand that means DOOM for me!...

I FOKING HATE THIS! THEY BETTER MAKE ME A NORMAL STARCRAFT 2 GAME OR STARCRAFT GHOST FOR WII GOD DAMN IT!.

You just got owned by your own favorite franchise.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!