By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Banjo-Kazooie 3 coming late 2008

Edouble24 said:
Zucas said:
Legend11 said:
Weirdos? Do you even know anyone working there? The team working on Banjo Kazooie 3 has key members from the first game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68284

That was written a year and a half ago. People have left since then too. Fact of the matter is, what made Rare good is no longer there. They might have various people left, but my point stands valid.

That's not true at all. Most of the Banjo team is still there. The losses from Rare were the vast majority of both the GE and PD teams. The main people behind games like DKC, Banjo and JFG are still at Rare. And when I say the main people I mean 90 percent of those teams. I doubt you can produce anything that says otherwise.

I pointed this out in an earlier post, but I guess y'all missed it.

From 1Up:

Rare Founders Leave to 'Pursue Other Opportunities'

Chris and Tim Stamper left the company at the end of 2006.
By Luke Smith, 01/02/2007

Chris and Tim Stamper, two of Rare Ltd.'s (Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark and Viva Pinata) three founders have left the studio. While the news surfaces in the wake of disappointing sales figures for Rare's excellent Viva Pinata, Microsoft told 1UP that sluggish Pinata sales had "absolutely" nothing to do with their departure.

"Chris and Tim have helped shape Rare into the world-renowned development studio that is it today and their impact on the videogame industry as a whole is well known. They are simply leaving to pursue other opportunities and we wish them luck in their future endeavors."

The Stampers' exodus comes just four years after Microsoft acquired Rare from Nintendo for $375M. Since that acquisition, Rare has published five games for Microsoft Game Studios. In addition to Pinata, the Rare released Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero at the Xbox 360's launch and shipped Conker: Live & Reloaded and Grabbed By the Ghoulies on the original Xbox. While it seems unlikely that Microsoft has recouped their original investment in Rare, the company maintains that the studio is "the cornerstone of Microsoft Game Studios' broadening strategy."

Microsoft told 1UP that Mark Betteridge, a 19-year-veteran of the Rare team, and Gregg Mayles will succeed the Stampers as Studio Director and Creative Director, respectively.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Edouble24 said:
Zucas said:
Legend11 said:
Weirdos? Do you even know anyone working there? The team working on Banjo Kazooie 3 has key members from the first game.

That was written a year and a half ago. People have left since then too. Fact of the matter is, what made Rare good is no longer there. They might have various people left, but my point stands valid.

That's not true at all. Most of the Banjo team is still there. The losses from Rare were the vast majority of both the GE and PD teams. The main people behind games like DKC, Banjo and JFG are still at Rare. And when I say the main people I mean 90 percent of those teams. I doubt you can produce anything that says otherwise.

From 1Up:

By Luke Smith, 01/02/2007

Chris and Tim Stamper, two of Rare Ltd.'s (Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark and Viva Pinata) three founders have left the studio. While the news surfaces in the wake of disappointing sales figures for Rare's excellent Viva Pinata, Microsoft told 1UP that sluggish Pinata sales had "absolutely" nothing to do with their departure.

"Chris and Tim have helped shape Rare into the world-renowned development studio that is it today and their impact on the videogame industry as a whole is well known. They are simply leaving to pursue other opportunities and we wish them luck in their future endeavors."

The Stampers' exodus comes just four years after Microsoft acquired Rare from Nintendo for $375M. Since that acquisition, Rare has published five games for Microsoft Game Studios. In addition to Pinata, the Rare released Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero at the Xbox 360's launch and shipped Conker: Live & Reloaded and Grabbed By the Ghoulies on the original Xbox. While it seems unlikely that Microsoft has recouped their original investment in Rare, the company maintains that the studio is "the cornerstone of Microsoft Game Studios' broadening strategy."

Microsoft told 1UP that Mark Betteridge, a 19-year-veteran of the Rare team, and Gregg Mayles will succeed the Stampers as Studio Director and Creative Director, respectively.

oh I didn't realize two people made up the entire Banjo team. Oh and just so you know Mayles was the main man behind Banjo-Kazooie...and you link says that he's still there.

In fact, he is the main guy behind Banjo 3!

Please Rare, don't ruin this series.
That is all I care about.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Edouble24 said:

Well it is popular to hate Rare for Nintendo fans and this is a Nintendo populated site. If people earnest don't enjoy Rare games then they shouldn't be excited for Banjo, but were Viva Pinata and Kameo really bad games? I'm kinda tired of people acting like that...so I certainly agree with the first part of what you said. Ex-Rare employees aren't the only people that can make good games.

And since you bring up SSBB, that wasn't made by the same people as Melee, yet we didn't have everyone saying it was going to be ruined(and they were right not to). Rare just has a tough time with the Nintendo fans now.

You're misinformed. Every previous SSB game was completely designed by Masahiro Sakurai. The only difference in SSBB is the programming team he was given to work with, because he doesn't work with HAL anyomre. Instead he was given Nintendo programmers. Which, of course, no one would worry about because they are Nintendo programmers... the creative designer is still there. 

naznatips said:
Edouble24 said:

Well it is popular to hate Rare for Nintendo fans and this is a Nintendo populated site. If people earnest don't enjoy Rare games then they shouldn't be excited for Banjo, but were Viva Pinata and Kameo really bad games? I'm kinda tired of people acting like that...so I certainly agree with the first part of what you said. Ex-Rare employees aren't the only people that can make good games.

And since you bring up SSBB, that wasn't made by the same people as Melee, yet we didn't have everyone saying it was going to be ruined(and they were right not to). Rare just has a tough time with the Nintendo fans now.

You're misinformed. Every previous SSB game was completely designed by Masahiro Sakurai. The only difference in SSBB is the programming team he was given to work with, because he doesn't work with HAL anyomre. Instead he was given Nintendo programmers. Which, of course, no one would worry about because they are Nintendo programmers... the creative designer is still there.

uh no I'm not misinformed. Like you just said he was given a different programming team to work with. How is that any different from Banjo?

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Edouble24 said:
Zucas said:
Legend11 said:

From 1Up:

oh I didn't realize two people made up the entire Banjo team. Oh and just so you know Mayles was the main man behind Banjo-Kazooie...and you link says that he's still there.

I was just pointing out that people have left since the Free Radical defection.  :P

Gregg Mayles being the man behind BK and BT does give me hope for BK3. 

naznatips said:
Edouble24 said:

Lol...no offence but the post sounds a little like... "Shut up! All is well...Nintendo is great! Nintendo is great!"

Kinda proves my post few posts up... 

makingmusic476 said:
Edouble24 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Edouble24 said:
Zucas said:
Legend11 said:

From 1Up:

I was just pointing out that people have left since the Free Radical defection. :P

Gregg Mayles being the man behind BK and BT does give me hope for BK3.

Yes people leave every company. Since you quoted me I figured you were disputing me. 90 percent of the Banjo team is still there, as well as the 'creative designer'

disolitude said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
disolitude said:
@Naraku_Diabolos
MS owns 100% of rare...even if the whole team quit, they own the properties Rare owns. They can make Battletoads, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Conker, Banjo or Jet Force gemini games with or without Rare's help. So yeah, Nintendo ain't getting anything from Rare anymore...they have their cool 377 million that Microsoft paid.

Nope, Microsoft only owns 49% of Rare while Nintendo has 51%.

Dude don't be funny...I'm not the type that will paste a link to gloat and prove a point...look it up again man.

Not what I heard on other chat forums. Why would Viva Pinata be coming out on DS? Why was there a Banjo game on the GBA? I'm talking about shares in the company. Besides, if Rare were to screw this up with Microsoft, I'm pretty sure Rare will go crawling back to Nintendo (where they belong). I've read other threads on VGChartz about Microsoft and Nintendo's shares in Rare, but that was over the summer-autumn of last year.

naznatips,

Iwata, sent all the people that had previously worked on the Smash Bros. games and gave Sakurai the game code from Smash Bros. Melee. The only difference was the added people from
Game Arts.

Sakurai detailed all of this in his blog. I'm just pointing out that Nintendo sent an experienced team to develop Brawl not just any Nintendo programmers.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba