By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American Next-Gen Software Sales: The Chart! (Jan-Apr)

take out wii sport and the s/w sales for the wii arent that much greater than the ps3 which has a pretty good attacth rate.

Oh ya i a going to be worst than Kwaad muhahahahaha

Around the Network

Ben Kenobi, there's never a "need" to go crazy. It's more a "want" type of thing.

To his credit, he's asking and answering his own questions, so he might have been a little crazy to begin with, and didn't really wasn't "going" anywhere.

If we're going to talk about 3rd parties, we should just make a chart that eliminates all 1st party titles, on all consoles. Honestly, I've been completely amazed at 360's attach rates. If I remember correctly, it's something like 6 games per console, which is incredible this early in the life cycle. It's crazy. Just like dpmnymkrprez. But considering how few major releases both Wii and PS3 have had (that chart includes about all of them), I don't think you can compare all three consoles yet. Honestly, I don't think even comparing the first six months of each console says all that much, software-wise.

mrstickball said:
Again, as I stated: The Wii hasn't sold anymore software than the 360 did in the same January-April timeframe if you just counted LTDs upto this point. The 360 sold around 4.7m units last year versus the Wiis 4.5m (not including Wii Sports). This is kind of suprising, since the Wii outsold the X360 by around 1 million units by this time. So.......That means the Wii has about a 5:3 ratio in terms of hardware, but only a 1:1 ratio in terms of software.

Be careful. Your angering the mob. Thei'll say your trolling and get you banned or something. XD

Seriously, This is funny, and one of the reasons I say what I say about me being curious about the Wii. The hardware is moving amazing numbers... The software is not, and what is moving is all nintendo and 2 3rd party games. Basically a total of 5 games on the Wii are selling decently. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

but if you don't take out wii sports, the wii has sold more software altough everybody said the wii is only for casuals and they will buy less games than the xboxers do. I guess you can look at it both ways.

and about wii sports: depending on what you want to see, you should in or exclude it. If you are interested in the number of games the wii buyers own and how much they play then you should include it. If you want to know about the money spent on games you should exclude it of course.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

BenKenobi88 said:
dpmnymkrprez said:
mrstickball said: As you can see, I put the major notations for either sales spikes, or notable games. The only one not really on the list is Tiger Woods 07 and Sonic for the Wii, and a few Xbox 360 games (MLB 2k7, Def Jam Icon, ect).

The chart is with Wii Sports in the US. Taking Wii Sports out, would put the Wii down by around 1.5m units give or take. For comparison, the Xbox 360 sold 4,760,000 software units in a similar timeframe with major releases such as Dead or Alive 4, Fight Night Round 3, Oblivion and Ghost Recon AW. Obviously, the April data may or may not be suspect due to no NPD data to compare against.

Feel free to discuss. The reason I posted this is that some people are under the assumption that the Wii software owns the US, when it's obvious it doesn't. Taking out Wii Sports, the Wii has around 4.2m software units sold, with 800k being Wii Play - a budget title with a free remote. Taking that out, the Wii has 3.4m full-price software units sold, for a tier ratio of around 2.0. Although the software has been improving, it still has a long way to go to be able to match the 360.

Why even take Wii sports out of the equation????

I agree With Johnsobas huh? I think everyone knows 360 sells the most software right now, particularly in the US where they have a userbase of 6.04 million to wii's 2.64 million to ps3's 1.39 million.

And have this to say...I should hope to God that Microsoft has more software etc. CONSIDERING THEY LAUNCHED WHAT YEAR AGAIN????? 2 years ago?? oh wait a microsoft fan will correct me and say no IT has been out 1 year and 6 months!!!! lol

Take it easy there...no need to go crazy.

I did this as a joke, The bad thing is about reading posts and even text mesg on phones, sometimes people mistake things.thats why at the end I wrote ..lol   too bad we cant depict everything over tone of voice, so we can see if people are nbeing awnry or funny

Around the Network
nintendo_fanboy said:

but if you don't take out wii sports, the wii has sold more software altough everybody said the wii is only for casuals and they will buy less games than the xboxers do. I guess you can look at it both ways.

and about wii sports: depending on what you want to see, you should in or exclude it. If you are interested in the number of games the wii buyers own and how much they play then you should include it. If you want to know about the money spent on games you should exclude it of course.

When trying to judge software sales, you can't include a bundled game. People get it whether they want it or not. There's no choice in the matter and people aren't spending a single extra dime for the game.

It's akin to Sony claiming that they've sold almost 3m peripherals already for the PS3 because they're including every controller that came bundled with the system. It doesn't make sense.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

When trying to judge software sales, you can't include a bundled game. People get it whether they want it or not. There's no choice in the matter and people aren't spending a single extra dime for the game.

It's akin to Sony claiming that they've sold almost 3m peripherals already for the PS3 because they're including every controller that came bundled with the system. It doesn't make sense.

Well I'm just guessing, but I think most people that own a wii have spent a good amount of time playing wii sports, and possibly they would have bought another game if wii sports wouldn't have been included. this is why I would definitely include it to calculate the software attach ratio.

and please don't try to make up arguments by comparing something like a controller with a game. I think you need the controller to play the game, but you don't need wii sports to play another game. It would be different if somebody packed a second controller with its console.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

why not count wiisports? You have too pay for the game.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

nintendo_fanboy said:

Well I'm just guessing, but I think most people that own a wii have spent a good amount of time playing wii sports, and possibly they would have bought another game if wii sports wouldn't have been included. this is why I would definitely include it to calculate the software attach ratio.

and please don't try to make up arguments by comparing something like a controller with a game. I think you need the controller to play the game, but you don't need wii sports to play another game. It would be different if somebody packed a second controller with its console.

My point is that Nintendo makes no money on the game and people may or may not be playing it. Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to include it in the software totals, which are usually used to indicate whether a company is profiting from a console after the initial purchase.

kirby007 said:
why not count wiisports? You have too pay for the game.

I didn't. It came with the console. I wanted the Wii, not necessarily Wii Sports (though I have enjoyed a fair amount of time with the game).