By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE Next Gen Face-Off

DanneSandin said:
Next Gen face off? Where's Wii U then? they'd at least nick the "First Party Studios" and "Second Screen Experience" ^^ so it would more be like:
Xbox: 4
Sony: 4
Nintendo: 2

second screen experience I'll give you but even if you consider Nintendo's first party better than Sony's they're more divided when it comes to handheld development.  Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and I love Wii but the amount of big titles they've put out over this gen for me includes DKCR, SMG1 and 2, Zelda TP and SS, SSBB, and Metroid Prime 3.  So we'll give em 10 because maybe you liked a couple more than me.

Meanwhile Sony has given me Uncharted 1-3, Ratchet (ToD, Q4B, ACiT), Resistance 3 (wasn't a fan of the first 2 so I'll exclude them), Killzone 2-3, Infamous 1-2, Sly 4, LoU, Heavy Rain, Beyond, GoW 3 and Ascension, LBP 1-2, and we can count Journey, Flower, Twisted Metal, and Flow all as 1 since they're smaller.  So about 21 and I haven't gotten around to Puppeteer or Ratchet Nexus yet (obviously Ratchet since it's not out yet).  

So IMO IMO IMO they don't win first party for a console at least.  And in the end an opinion is all an article like this is.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
platformmaster918 said:

we already know Driveclub, The Order, and Infamous compared to Titanfall (likely timed) in the Spring.  That's launch window.  Besides like I said in this thread MS already announced they'll have at most 15 first party games in the first year (at most=that's what they announced at Xbox One reveal so there could be delays) while Sony said at E3 they'll have at most 20 first party games in the first year (same note about at most).

Games launching 3+ Months after the console launches arent launch window games. Launch window games are generally games releasing within the first couple of Months. Not a full Quarter later. We dont even have release dates for DriveClub, inFamous of The Order.

Driceclub is "early 2014". inFamous is March. The Order doesnt even have a launch window itself, all we know is its coming in 2014. 

On top of all that, the point isnt about launch window games its about launch games, and Xbox One really stomps PS4 into the ground in that category.

first of all winning=/=stomping into the ground.  Second I count launch as the first 6 months of a console's life (essentially until the usual Summer drought pops in what is it doing?).  Xbox has ONE more retail exclusive and PS4s have been preordered more (maybe that's just because of more preorders for the console I don't know).  Killzone+Knack vs. Ryse+Forza+DR3.  Resogun balances out KI and then of course PS4 has FAR more indies (since Xbox has none at launch) some of which look pretty cool (getting Contrast free at launch thanks to the Driveclub delay).  Then there's F2P games so PS4 is crushing in total games and pretty darn even on retail exclusives and will obviously pull ahead within the first year according to BOTH companies.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:
Next Gen face off? Where's Wii U then? they'd at least nick the "First Party Studios" and "Second Screen Experience" ^^ so it would more be like:

second screen experience I'll give you but even if you consider Nintendo's first party better than Sony's they're more divided when it comes to handheld development.  Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and I love Wii but the amount of big titles they've put out over this gen for me includes DKCR, SMG1 and 2, Zelda TP and SS, SSBB, and Metroid Prime 3.  So we'll give em 10 because maybe you liked a couple more than me.

Meanwhile Sony has given me Uncharted 1-3, Ratchet (ToD, Q4B, ACiT), Resistance 3 (wasn't a fan of the first 2 so I'll exclude them), Killzone 2-3, Infamous 1-2, Sly 4, LoU, Heavy Rain, Beyond, GoW 3 and Ascension, LBP 1-2, and we can count Journey, Flower, Twisted Metal, and Flow all as 1 since they're smaller.  So about 21 and I haven't gotten around to Puppeteer or Ratchet Nexus yet (obviously Ratchet since it's not out yet).  

So IMO IMO IMO they don't win first party for a console at least.  And in the end an opinion is all an article like this is.

Well, I was kinda thinking about which games sell the most - and that would be Nintendo's first party. But yeah, they kinda need to focus a little bit less on the 3DS and more on Wii U

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

The Fury said:
Did they mix the Controller and Cloud Tech ones up or something? They seem off, everything else makes sense.

MS definitely got them on the cloud but Sony got them with the controller. They proved you can have the dual analog in the same place and still play just as well as asymetrical controllers.

DanneSandin said:
platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:

Well, I was kinda thinking about which games sell the most - and that would be Nintendo's first party. But yeah, they kinda need to focus a little bit less on the 3DS and more on Wii U

oh I agree on that front.  I mean think about the profit they made off of Mario Kart Wii this gen.  It probably didn't cost too too much to make and then they keep it at near full price with fantastic legs the whole gen.  If you want Mario Kart on Wii then you only had 1 game to get.  Only coming out with 1 a gen is also how they keep those franchises going so long because people don't get burned out.  I wish Sony had taken a similar strategy with Twisted Metal on PS1 or Ratchet this gen (A4O, FFA, and even into the Nexus should have never exhausted everyone because they could have a fully fledged PS4 Ratchet as big or bigger than ACiT ready by now).  I'm glad there's stuff like Sonic, Bayonetta, and X coming for WiiU to give us something other than the mainstays as great as they always are (I plan on getting WiiU on Black Friday 2014 and eventually getting DKCTF, Mario 3D World, WW HD, Smash, Mario Kart, and at least 1 of those ones I just mentioned depending on reviews).

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:

Wait. You didnt like the first 2 Resistance games but got the 3rd? Who keeps buying games in a franchise they dont like til one comes out they do like? I also like when it comes to Nintendo it has to be a big title. When it comes to Sony it can be anything even digital.

Controller - Wii U
Hardware - PC
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - PC
First Party Studios - Wii U
Second Screen Experience - Wii U
Social Services - PC/Wii U (Miiverse)
Cloud Tech - PC
Media and Services - PC
Development Ease - PC
So for me fits 1 X1, 3 Wii U, 4 PC. and a tie for 1 between Wii U and PC. Just my opinion comparing all platforms fairly

ListerOfSmeg said:

Controller - Wii U
Hardware - PC
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - PC
Cloud Tech - PC
Media and Services - PC
Development Ease - PC
So for me fits 1 X1, 3 Wii U, 4 PC. and a tie for 1 between Wii U and PC. Just my opinion comparing all platforms fairly

You're known to be fair.

Going by what we know about PS4 and Xbox One, here's what I think. For certain aspects I'll use PS3 and 360.

Xbox One vs PS4
Controller -PS3(so PS4.)
Hardware - PS4
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support/Indie Games - PS4
First Party Studios - Ps4
Second Screen Experience - PS4
Social Services - Xbox One
Cloud Tech - N/A
Media and Services - PS4
Development Ease - PS4

With Media and Services and Social Services, I gave one to Xbox One and one to PS4 because both of these categories are mostly the same. I think PS4 does more things better on both categories without requiring PS+ while everything you can do on the Xbox One does require Xbox Live,but since Xbox One does have good features that the PS4 doesn't have, I decided to split the two and give one to both. PS+ I think is a better service than Xbox Live. PS4 has more recording time than the Xbox One and it doesn't require PS+ to do so. Xbox One has a TV guide, but requires Xbox Live. Xbox One has the player rating systems. PS4 has cross game chat between eight players, including Vita players, also doesn't require PS+. PS4 can be a media server and allow remote play through the Vita to be played with anything on the PS4, again, doesn't require PS+ Xbox One has controllerless navigation .

Boutros said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Controller - Wii U
Hardware - PC
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - PC
Cloud Tech - PC
Media and Services - PC
Development Ease - PC

You're known to be fair.

I doubt you know anything about me but yes I was being fair. Unlike some I have no allegience to any platform so I always judge them without bias.

Sorry that the PC leads in mine but its my unbiased opinion.