By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bought 3DS on impulse - game recommendations?

I was watching to buy a x360 or PS3 to compliment my Wii and Pc, but just couldn't justify the investment... I was aiming for it mainly due GTA5 and Forza/GT games, but realized that the last enjoyable experience with GTA way Vice city and I didn't want to play IV. As for racing games, while I pretty much enjoy a good driving session, I have lots backtrack to do on PC, and besides, Project Cars is looking sweet, so I'll wait for that.

So, instead diving into HD console gaming, I've ordered 3DS XL on total impulse. Bought white one, primarily because of the good deal I was able to find. I was considering waiting for the gold/black zelda one, but it's 70% more expensive and I dislike the golden interior (but the exterior is simply awesome).

Now I need to figure out which games will I get. I'm definatelly planning on getting OoT, since I've never played it (was primarly Amiga/PC gamer back in the day). But, apart from that, I really don't know what to play.

Besides racing (which I will skip on 3DS), I like a good RPG (Fallout series - especially prior to the 3D, Arcanum, Planescape, KOTOR, ME...), adventures (especially old-school point and click), ocassionaly play an FPS, but not my main interest. Also goes for platformers. Value a good strategy (but not RTS, except for Starcraft)

Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has a ehite 3DS XL - does it get dirty easily?

Around the Network

As for RPG, you can get the two Etrian games. Etrian Odyssey IV and Etrian Odyssey Untold Millenium Girl you don't need to play the rest and Untold is a reimagine of the first game! Then you also have Shin Megami Tensei IV and if you missed it on the DS Devil Survivor Overclocked which is a "tactical RPG", also there is Soul Hackers but it's a bit too oldschool. There is also Fire Emblem Awakening, it's a strategy RPG and it's one of the best 3DS games!

Adventure games, well you have Ocarina of time and well... I don't know what is exactly an Adventure game but any Zelda is good.

As for platformers well... you have Super Mario 3D Land which is awesome and New Super Mario Bros 2, they are quite good!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Fire Emblem: Awakening is what I consider to be the best game currently on 3DS. Luigi's Mansion 2 and Resident Evil: Revelations are both good titles, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies releases in 7 days, which is looking more and more like a stellar title.

Well, a big question is whether or not you have a DS...

Both Mario platformers are pretty good, particularly 3D Land. NSMB2 is good too, about what you'd expect. Kid Icarus Uprising is my favorite game on the system. It's a hybrid of a shmup and an action game. Very unique and pretty awesome. If you haven't checked it out on the Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great platformer.

In terms of strategy, Fire Emblem Awakening is an awesome game. Lot of depth and RPG elements to it. If you don't have a DS, the advance wars series is a good choice. Project X Zone is good, albeit a bit shallow.

For RPGs, Pokemon X and Y are good, and I'll assume you know about that. Mario and Luigi is good for light RPG fare. Mediocre story but unique gameplay. If you haven't checked out the Mario and Luigi series, play Bowser's inside story on the DS.

As for point and click adventures, not much on the DS aside from Layton (which is only sort of a point and click). But, if you didn't have a DS or missed out on some of the more obscure games, Hotel Dusk Room 215 is a great choice. All of the Phoenix Wright games are very good (another one will be available on the 3DS soon). If you missed out on it, Ghost Trick is an absolutely phenomenal point and click that was sadly overlooked. If you're a fan of the genre, you really should track down a copy (or alternatively buy it on IOS).  Luigi's Mansion isn't quite a point and click but has a lot in common with that genre, so you might like that.  Great game at any rate.

Pokemon X and Y,kingdom hearts 3D,Fire Emblem,Zelda:oot,MGS 3D,Resident evil:revelations,Super mario world,Luigi mansion 2,monster hunter 3.
And still to come Zelda,super smash bros,Monster hunter 4....and ....Ace attorney

Around the Network

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is an excellent turn based strategy game and is super cheap.
But the best strategy game IMHO is FireEmblem Awakening which is strategy/rpg mix.

Tales of the Abyss (great realtime RPG)
KingdomHearts3d also is.
Mario&Luigi DreamTeam is a nice turn based RPG. Paper Mario is also turn based.
Etrian Odyssey is a dungeon crawler RPG series
Pokemon

You have to get at least 1 racing game MarioKart7!

Another interesting game I just bought (for like 13€ bought at zavvi.com 2for25pounds deal) is Virtues Last Reward (I have no clue what genre it is tho. Story driven mystery/puzzler?) A little bit like Professor Layton which itself is also a nice series.

Platformers obviously Mario 3D Land (great game when you think its over it actually starts!)
maybe Sonic Lost World 3DS (depends on the reviews!)

Kid Icarus uprising is also a nice game (rail+ free roam shooter/adventure) with really high production value but beware of the controls they will drive you insane! If you are patient you will start to love the game if not then avoid it because the controls are most likely not for you.

There is also a ton of eshop games that are actually really good.

The most popular streetpassed titles have been Pokemon and Animal Crossing.
If the majority rules, get those 2 titles.
I have neither...

lets see, monster hunter 3 ult, kid Icarus for sure, resident evil revelation.

MH3U
Fire Emblem
Luigi Mansion
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Pokemon X/Y
Resident Evil: RE
Super Street Fighter IV
Dead or Alive
Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
Animal Crossing
Ocarina of Time
Tom Clancy's
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Professor Layton

etc
etc
etc

Click HERE and be happy 

You like RPGs and occassional strategy games, so Fire Emblem sounds like a must. I've heard Luigi's Mansion compared to the point-and-click adventure genre, so I recommend looking into that one. Ace Attorney and Professor Layton are more typical point-and-click type games.

If you're a righty I suggest trying out Kid Icarus: Uprising. If you're a lefty, I'm sorry.

Oh yeah and Pokemon.