By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Turok Completed Months Ago, Delayed due to PS3 - Yet, It's still crap...

disolitude said:
@DMeisterj
It does suck but its a lot better than Jerecho and that Area 51 garbage game that came out last year at that time...
Those sold ok at the time and Turok is a bigger brand so I think it would have sold ok as well. I don't think Touchstone is going for 1 million in sales with Turok...

Turok WAS a big brand. Talking 1 million+ sales on the N64.

Touchstone will be lucky to get 600k squeezed out of this title, and that'll gain 'em a 'not-so-great' profit since it's a title which required a lot of dev-time and uses the 'not-so-cheap' UT3-engine. 

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Seems to be the Unreal Engine's fault more than the PS3's fault. Unreal Tournament runs beautifully.

I am glad I didn't buy this game though. The demo made me want to go out and shoot small children.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not 100% sure) Epic used the Unreal 3.5 engine while Propaganda used 3.0

One of the reasons why SK was pissed was due to the fact that updates to the engine where kept from the developers (SK and now possibly Propaganda)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

StarcraftManiac said:
disolitude said:
@DMeisterj
It does suck but its a lot better than Jerecho and that Area 51 garbage game that came out last year at that time...
Those sold ok at the time and Turok is a bigger brand so I think it would have sold ok as well. I don't think Touchstone is going for 1 million in sales with Turok...

Turok WAS a big brand. Talking 1 million+ sales on the N64.

Touchstone will be lucky to get 600k squeezed out of this title, and that'll gain 'em a 'not-so-great' profit since it's a title which required a lot of dev-time and uses the 'not-so-cheap' UT3-engine. 

Point taken... Why are you putting 'not-so....' in single quotes? Am I missing the irony?

First its a shame that games are being delayed for simultaneous release. This isn't just a issue with Turok. Those who game on the 360 or the PC are being punished for development difficulties with the PS3. The console is holding back game development, and more to the point is probably hindering ambitious design.

The Silicon Knights issue was with development tools and support. They probably have a valid argument. They weren't getting what they paid for, or what they expected to receive. Honestly Epic had a conflict of interest in the situation. While charging companies for their engine they were putting resources into developing their own game, and focusing efforts in that direction. Were you building a first person shooter the bread crumbs were probably sweet, but Silicon Knights weren't developing a first person shooter they were building a action role playing game. From most reports games not using the engine for shooter purposes are having issues. That does make it seem likely that the engines tools are not balanced.

Turoks reviews aren't bad they are not great either they are average, and honestly that is a major step up for the series. I hope the licensee and the licensor take note of this. The license received far too much abuse in the past, and has developed a negative reputation with gamers. That isn't going to be changed over night. However with a passable game to work off of now the franchise can start its long trek back into the sun.

I played the first two turok games on the 64, and admittedly never felt compelled to finish either. The games were poorly designed, and poorly conceived. The promise of large rich worlds made navigating the worlds more a question of wandering aimlessly then purposeful. The fog was choking, and that hurt the experience. After the first Turok upset me I gave the second a chance for its multi player component, and that was mildly entertaining for a few days.

Those games owe quite a lot to their platform positioning. They were bigger unique fish in a very small pond. Filling a empty void in the 64s lineup. Being decent and selling well is surprisingly easy in a steaming pile of garbage. Which is what the systems lineup was composed mostly of outside of Nintendo and Rare. Even then Nintendo only made a couple passably mature games. So the games did abuse a aching void in the hearts of the system owner.

gebx said:
akuma587 said:
Seems to be the Unreal Engine's fault more than the PS3's fault. Unreal Tournament runs beautifully.

I am glad I didn't buy this game though. The demo made me want to go out and shoot small children.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not 100% sure) Epic used the Unreal 3.5 engine while Propaganda used 3.0

One of the reasons why SK was pissed was due to the fact that updates to the engine where kept from the developers (SK and now possibly Propaganda)

I wasn't aware the used an updated engine on UT III.  Hopefully they will get that out to the devs soon if they actually revamped the engine.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Dodece said:
First its a shame that games are being delayed for simultaneous release. This isn't just a issue with Turok. Those who game on the 360 or the PC are being punished for development difficulties with the PS3. The console is holding back game development, and more to the point is probably hindering ambitious design.

The Silicon Knights issue was with development tools and support. They probably have a valid argument. They weren't getting what they paid for, or what they expected to receive. Honestly Epic had a conflict of interest in the situation. While charging companies for their engine they were putting resources into developing their own game, and focusing efforts in that direction. Were you building a first person shooter the bread crumbs were probably sweet, but Silicon Knights weren't developing a first person shooter they were building a action role playing game. From most reports games not using the engine for shooter purposes are having issues. That does make it seem likely that the engines tools are not balanced.

Turoks reviews aren't bad they are not great either they are average, and honestly that is a major step up for the series. I hope the licensee and the licensor take note of this. The license received far too much abuse in the past, and has developed a negative reputation with gamers. That isn't going to be changed over night. However with a passable game to work off of now the franchise can start its long trek back into the sun.

I played the first two turok games on the 64, and admittedly never felt compelled to finish either. The games were poorly designed, and poorly conceived. The promise of large rich worlds made navigating the worlds more a question of wandering aimlessly then purposeful. The fog was choking, and that hurt the experience. After the first Turok upset me I gave the second a chance for its multi player component, and that was mildly entertaining for a few days.

Those games owe quite a lot to their platform positioning. They were bigger unique fish in a very small pond. Filling a empty void in the 64s lineup. Being decent and selling well is surprisingly easy in a steaming pile of garbage. Which is what the systems lineup was composed mostly of outside of Nintendo and Rare. Even then Nintendo only made a couple passably mature games. So the games did abuse a aching void in the hearts of the system owner.

You can call Turok 1 crap, but Turok 2 was amazing!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Am glad I didn't buy this game. Was tempted, then remembered that I hadn't seen the magazine reviews. Game out before magazine reviews = bad game, works everytime.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

hmm....you've got to hand it to Propaganda. They have a crappy game, so they delay it for a few months and jump on the bandwagon by blaming the delay on the PS3. I wonder when they completed the PS3 version...(notice they don't tell you)

@ Dodece
How is enabling devs to put ALL of the physics calculating off the PPU and GPU hindering development? I would think that would HELP development by leaving more processing power for more enemies/motion in the players's field of view.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

TO simplify
bad game- good console- released on time
bad game- bad console- released later

I guess they should've just released 360 version on time then.
Their own fault.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

After the last few game attempts, i don't even hear the name Turok anymore.