By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Activision wants to reclaim Grand Theft Auto V's sales records

I say good luck with that. They have milked the franchise so frequently that it will not be easy to break GTA V's record. Plus COD sales will decrease from now on.

Activision wants to reclaim Grand Theft Auto V's sales records

Last month Grand Theft Auto V smashed Call of Duty’s record for the biggest video game launch ever. And now Activision wants that record back.

In an interview with MCV, the firm dismissed the idea that Call of Duty is a brand in decline. The publisher revealed that last year’s Black Ops II has now surpassed 3m units sold in the UK, and has big expectations for this year’s Call of Duty: Ghosts, which launches on November 5th.

“Congratulations to the team at Rockstar for their success,” said UK senior brand manager Kevin Flynn. “We look forward to getting the record back before the next GTA title.”

He added: “We know that our unaided awareness for Ghosts is leading the way against other unreleased triple-A titles. Our digital content has proven extremely popular and Black Ops II has sold more than 3m units in the UK.”

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/activision-wants-to-reclaim-grand-theft-auto-v-s-sales-records/0122738

Around the Network

So, from the time of GTA4 to GTA5, how many copies of CoD series has sold? -_^b Prolly more than GTA4+5 combined no?

It would be extremely hard for Activision to break that record in the next 5 years. But, next year could be their best shot with a bigger next gen install base, cross gen still a thing, and hopefully a COD that wows everyone. Other than that I don't see it happening.

It will be impossible IMO to break that record without stopping releases for a year or two. And even then it would be unlikely because of the smaller next gen install base after that. It's best chance would be years down the line with a delayed release later next gen.

But, call of duty will make more money in the same timespan which is what the company ultimately cares about even if it declines.

lmao. That's not gonna happen. The next game to break GTAV's sales is going to be GTAVI.

Around the Network

GTA VI should come in 3..or 4 years max. Hopefully they don't take that long with this one. And by that time COD won't even be the biggest fps.

I hope it does, I certainly will do my part on the systems I own. I know I am in the minority on this next statement, but I hate the gta series so much.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I don't see that happening any time soon.

not going to happen any time soon. not until late next gen when there are 150M+ devices to sell to.

Not gonna happen, GTAV has smashed the record in 3 weeks, it has a holiday season, potential next gen ports and years to sell. Thing is going to fly past 30 mill.