By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2013 NPD Thread! - PS3 > 360 (GTAV = system seller), Wii U: ~91k

NINTENDO 3DS REPEATS AT NO. 1, WII U RESPONDS FOLLOWING PRICE CUT

Oct. 17, 2013

Nintendo enters the critical holiday selling season with strong momentum, as Nintendo 3DS finished as the best-selling video game system in the U.S. for the fifth consecutive month and Wii U enjoyed new momentum following a price cut.

On Oct. 15, Nintendo revealed that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, which launched globally on Oct. 12, combined to sell more than 4 million units worldwide during its first two days on the market. A full breakdown of U.S. sales for the games, as well as the new Nintendo 2DS handheld, which launched on the same day, will be included in next month's NPD report. In addition to the latest Pokémon adventure, Nintendo 3DS fans have two exciting games on the horizon, both launching on Nov. 22: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour.

On Sept. 20, Nintendo reduced the price of the Wii U Deluxe Set by $50 to a suggested retail price of $299.99 and introduced a limited-edition bundle that features a download code for a digital copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. Sales of Wii U hardware in September increased by more than 200 percent over sales in August, and that is with only 15 days of data being reported at the new price. Over the next few weeks and months, Wii U fans can look forward to playing Wii Party U (Oct. 25), Wii Fit U (Nintendo eShop, Nov. 1) Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Nov. 15) and Super Mario 3D World (Nov. 22).

*Data regarding physical sales of games in September are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo's internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

Around the Network

Wouldn't this mean that 3DS is heavily undertracked or PS360 are massively overtracked (or both)?

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

haxxiy said:

Nintendo stated Wii U sales increased 200% from the previous month, apparently, and 3DS is on top.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=40757

So, wait... Wii U... undertracked...? Do we dare to hope?

3DS on top is actually kind of impressive given GTAV boosts for 360 and PS3. So either those two are both enormously overtracked, or 3DS is enormously undertracked, or both.

tbone51 said:

pokemon XL thats why! maybe an extra 10k be fine for me! I think this opening weekfor 3ds with 70k is absolutely undertracked. it should be at least 100k if AC+LM2 can do higher than 70k!!

Ah, yeah. I forgot about the XL. But it sounds like the 3DS might be undertracked by more than 10k. I'm not positive about this week -- it does look undertracked to me -- but if September numbers are adjusted up, I expect October numbers to follow them.

YESSS IWATA!!!!!! 3DS best selling console for the fifth month and Wii U sales have increased by 200%!

Nintendo still doomed

Wii U did just above 30k last month right? So it did at least 90k this month. While it's not super...

s

Around the Network

Wii U = 30k + 200% = 90k

the_dengle said:

So, wait... Wii U... undertracked...? Do we dare to hope?

3DS on top is actually kind of impressive given GTAV boosts for 360 and PS3. So either those two are both enormously overtracked, or 3DS is enormously undertracked, or both.

I wouldn't expect GTAV to be delivering that bigger hardware bump now. There has already been GTAIV which would have made GTA fans buy the systems, and they've been on the market for 6-7 years already.

3DS is going to be a beast though.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

To be exactly...

Wii U: 91.5k

Yeah my early guess is Wii U about 95k. Slightly overtracked, but not disastrously so. Actually looks like a pretty good month.

tagged ... will read the rest tomorrow.