By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Comparing Music Services

Hello everyone.

I use to listen to music all the time, but I stopped keeping up with music I liked and the radio always annoys me because it is 50% commericals.

Recently I decided to give Pandora a shot, and sure enough I'm loving it and discovering good music every day.  However I can't help but wonder if I would prefer a service like Spotify, Google All Access, Rdio or Itunes Radio.

So I put up a comparison chart where I compiled everything that I thought that matters. 

What service do you use? What are the pros and the cons? Which service would you recommend?

Service Price Advertisments Offline Listening
Mobile Listening Skips Song Library Customized Radio Music on Demand Time Limit Quality
Pandora Free Yes No Yes Limited 900,000 Yes No No up to 128kbps
Pandora One $3.99 monthly No No Yes Limited 900,000 Yes No No up to 192kbps
Spotify (basic)
Free Yes No No Limited 20 mil + Yes No Yes up to 160kbps
Spotify Unlimited $4.99 monthly No No No Limited 20 mil + Yes No No up to 160kbps
Spotify Premium $9.99 monthly No Yes Yes Unlimited 20 mil + Yes Yes No up to 320kbps
Rdio Web $4.99 monthly No No No Limited 18 mil + Yes Yes No up to 160kbps?
Rdio Unlimited $9.99 monthly No Yes Yes Unlimited 18 mil + Yes Yes No up to 160kbps?
Google All Access
$9.99 monthly No Yes Yes (Android) Unlimited 20 mil + Yes Yes No up to 320kbps
Itunes Radio Free Yes No Yes (IOS) Limited 23 mil + Yes No No 256 kbps
Itunes Match $24.99 yearly No Yes Yes (IOS) Limited 23 mil + Yes No No 256 kbps

Around the Network

My music service of choice is YouTube. It's got practically every song in history, and it's totally free.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Not sure if you forgot about it or don't know about it; but we are using (my family) Xbox Music Pass (9.99$ per months)

Millions of song, unlimited music across all devices (iOS devices, Android, Windows 8, Xbox, PC) + Free music steaming for the first 30 hours per months and offline listening.

Here for some info : http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Music

The thing that jumps out for me is the quality which compared to CDs and Vinyl, are HORRID. If I want music, I will either download or buy it.

Imaginedvl said:
Not sure if you forgot about it or don't know about it; but we are using (my family) Xbox Music Pass (9.99$ per months)

Millions of song, unlimited music across all devices (iOS devices, Android, Windows 8, Xbox, PC) + Free music steaming for the first 30 hours per months and offline listening.

I actually did know about Xbox Music Pass too, although not extensively.  I didn't include it because there are just so many it would be hard to include them all so I just chose what I thought were some of the biggest and best services, I also tried to throw in some variety with radio only services and music on demand services.

So how do you like your Xbox Music Pass?  Do you mostly use the radio or do you use music on demand mostly?

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:

My music service of choice is YouTube. It's got practically every song in history, and it's totally free.

Youtube is nice because it is free, but it isn't a music discovery tool, and it isn't good for playlist and things like that.

prayformojo said:
The thing that jumps out for me is the quality which compared to CDs and Vinyl, are HORRID. If I want music, I will either download or buy it.

I hope my audio quality comparisons are accurate, I tried my best to find good sources on those, but some were a little questionable.

What are the bit rates of CDs?  I believe if you do offline listening for any of these services it downloads the song in it's full quality.  I believe it only goes to lower quality only when music is being streamed.

Nothing beats tpb

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

WrathofTank said:
Imaginedvl said:

I actually did know about Xbox Music Pass too, although not extensively.  I didn't include it because there are just so many it would be hard to include them all so I just chose what I thought were some of the biggest and best services, I also tried to throw in some variety with radio only services and music on demand services.

So how do you like your Xbox Music Pass?  Do you mostly use the radio or do you use music on demand mostly?

Mostly music on demand. And I like it very much as I can listen to any song/album depending on my mood :)
I was using iTune before that but I find it very annoying to be locked on iOS devices (for mobile); I knew that MS was planning to release it on Android/iOS too and they delivered it. I have a Windows Phone (+ my PC/Xbox and Surface) and my wife is using an iPhone and and iPad (I know, she is so 2010 ) but all in one we are very happy with the service.

On a side note; I'm also using Xbox Videos.

WrathofTank said:
prayformojo said:

I hope my audio quality comparisons are accurate, I tried my best to find good sources on those, but some were a little questionable.

What are the bit rates of CDs?  I believe if you do offline listening for any of these services it downloads the song in it's full quality.  I believe it only goes to lower quality only when music is being streamed.

That might be the case but most people will be streaming and using the free service. I've used the free version of Spotify and it's good for what it is, but pretty much like listening to the radio. I do most of my listening on a home stereo which makes a HUGE difference. You really hear the quality difference between FLAC/CD/vinyl and Spotify and Pandora when you're listening through speakers. It's alot harder to tell through ear buds which I'm guessing most people do. Still, if I want music really bad and don't want to pay, I'd always rather just download some high quality FLAC files than stream. That's just me though.