By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can anybody give a decent prediction as to how long the govt shutdown will last?

MikeRox said:
swii26 said:

I don't think they expect to win but maybe using it as a tool to get Obama to nagotiate on his healthcare bill. Even if the Republicians look like the bad guy, our government officials, in general, look like shit right now, stubborn bastards!

See, I'm British and live in the UK so this doesn't really impact me at all, unless they cause another financial crisis, but it was passed in legislation, approved by the Senate etc.

If you want something repriving, surely you'd use that as your election pledge, and if enough support was there, you'd be able to change it. This really feels like a toys being thrown out of the pram moment.

The last government shutdown, there was room for negotiation, this one, there really isn't that I can see.

Oh there is plenty of room.

The Democrats just don't want to negotiate.

All the republicans were really asking for to make a deal a week or two ago was the removal of one tax from Obamacare and a delay in a fee provision that Unions support. (Ie democratic supporters)

A deal doesn't even need to include Obamacare.

It's just Obama knows everything will be blamed on the republicans, so he's just willing to stand back and force the republicans to either humilate themselves and completely concede or watch them cause a catastrophy.

It's not a bad plan really.  So long as they're sure the republicans won't do it.

Around the Network

Senate agreement passed the house, 258 to 144

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

kowenicki said:
Sorted.

At last.

And absolutely nothing was accomplished. What a complete waste of time. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

28 Billion dollars was lost

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

we just keep kicking the can down the road. what a joke. untill the next shutdown come jan/feb .

Around the Network

Hopefully forever

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE