By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Overheating & The Red Line Of Warning

think-man said:
Looks like the ps4 will shut itself down though before the damage is done which is good. I will have a fan running next to my ps4 at all times ^^

that might disturb the airflow and increase hot spots in the machine, so without extra fans the cooling usually is better if the engineers did a good job

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
think-man said:
Looks like the ps4 will shut itself down though before the damage is done which is good. I will have a fan running next to my ps4 at all times ^^

that might disturb the airflow and increase hot spots in the machine, so without extra fans the cooling usually is better if the engineers did a good job

I was thinking of placing it on a laptop fan pad. the ones the cool the bottom on the Ps4. I think that will have a positve effect.

That's actually a red speed stripe. My computer gets the same thing when I block off all the ventilation. Makes it run faster.

So is there a reason its called 'of death' in the title? Dramas sake?

Well I think is pretty obvious if you put it in a closed plastic case. duh, the cool thing about it after some ventilation it returned to normal, not like the previous consoles on this case the 360 when it got a 3RROD pretty much your console is death for good.

Around the Network

I really hope that Sony doesnt have problems.

But the one of the reasons Microsoft chose not to use GDDR5 was because of excessive power consumption and heat. Especially during playing of a game. If you look at the size of Nvidias GPU's that sport just 4gb GDDR5 they have MASSIVE cooling and have high power consumption

Bajablo said:
Seriously, this is pretty braindead, look at the size of that protective case thing. it is an issue with the console not getting enough cool air to cool the system off, it uses the same air to cool the system several times over.

try enclosing your computer / console in a small acrylic sealed box and see how long it takes for it to over-heat.

this is a 'no shit sherlock' moment

I guess people don't expect their consoles to overheat with such an enclosed space and without any ventilation. lol!

selnor1983 said:
I really hope that Sony doesnt have problems.

But the one of the reasons Microsoft chose not to use GDDR5 was because of excessive power consumption and heat. Especially during playing of a game. If you look at the size of Nvidias GPU's that sport just 4gb GDDR5 they have MASSIVE cooling and have high power consumption

Yea, because the GPU consumes a lot of power and outputs a lot of heat - that's not caused by the GDDR5 on the card like you seem to imply.

selnor1983 said:

But the one of the reasons Microsoft chose not to use GDDR5 was because of excessive power consumption and heat. Especially during playing of a game.

Nonsense. PS4 uses low power gddr5 chips. Coupled with address and data bus inversion, the memory in the PS4 actually uses LESS power than the memory in the XBox One. Read the data sheets.

czecherychestnut said:
Ok, so the actual story is 'PS4 placed in a small glass box gave a thermal warning which reset upon opening up said glass box' and this somehow = Sony's RROD?

MS fanboys are getting deperate :D

~ Mod edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus for this post.