By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is 2008, the beginning of the end for the XBox 360?

libellule said:
""With poor console sales figures in its first year. Terrible image in the minds of the general gaming public. Its main competitors Nintendo and Microsoft released have several-million-unit-advantages, one of which (Wii) has more than doubled its' sales in the same timeframe. Most of its' big games are also available on its' competitor which is $100 cheaper. A mediocre list of exclusive titles for 2007. What does the future hold for Sony's Playstation 3? ""

==> thekitchensink

it seems u forget to mention that the PS3, despite all the bad events u mentionned, was outsolding her 100$ cheaper competitor ...

lol it only outsold it for the last couple of weeks.  But you misunderstood my intention there--I know how well the PS3 is doing, but the OP CLEARLY deliberately ignored the positives of the 360 as well.  Just wanted to point out how ridiculous it sounds.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I agree, it's not looking good for Microsoft. If the Wii or PS3 had a years head start, they'd have sold a lot more by now, in the Wii's case, 10s of millions more.

Dark_Lord_2008, I have two points for you.

1) You're nuts if you get rid of your 360 before Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out.

2) Trading in consoles to get another console is foolish. If you want a Wii, just save a few bucks here and there until you can afford it. Buying consoles and selling them off in the middle of their life cycle is just giving money away.

Assuming you're for real(and not a joke account), and for my own curiosity, what games have you owned or played on the 360?

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Patience is a virtue. Microsoft and Nintendo the other two competitors in this race have yet to show their hands. While Sony is at the table with two pair with a big grin on its face. We yet do not know whats behind those other two poker faces. We really can't know whether the hand Sony was dealt will end up being the winning hand.

The speculation is that next week Microsoft and Nintendo will probably start letting us peek at their cards. Which honestly its about damned time. Take a look at any release list, and you will see that beyond May the water goes from somewhat muddy to opaque for these two platforms. All we have right now is baseless speculation.

We have to expect that both Microsoft and Nintendo have a plan for this year, and that they have had a plan for some time. Should we really suspect that they haven't arranged a slew of exclusives to augment their own consoles, and is there any reason to expect that they will not be as highly regarded as those being shown by Sony.

There are two other factors to consider as well as the games, and that is the two most relevant issues for these respective consoles. When will Microsoft get their console down into the casual consumer range, and when will Nintendo fully address their production issues.

Think of it like this what happens if we see a two hundred dollar 360 before the end of this year. What happens if Nintendo can meet market demand especially in Japan. Either of these two things happening, or both in conjunction could fundamentally shift the market.

The real reason the Sony plan looks so good is because you aren't seeing the Microsoft plan or the Nintendo plan. I wouldn't assume that either of them don't have major plans for this year. That would be rather inconsistent of them given what they did last year.

i really think its up in the air (they have alot of money)

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth

Around the Network

I would never trade in any system I bought.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

thekitchensink,

you are right !

Time to Work !

@kithcensink

thesw "last couple of weeks" = ALL OF DECEMBER & ALL OF JANUARY

2 months...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Magnific0 said:
@fastrabbit09

What makes you think the current rate won't get a lot larger when the big guns are released? I mean, it's been outselling it all this time without what all YOU 360fanboys like to call "NO GAMES".

There's no hurry to catch up, it will just happen, I really don't care when or how. The games I like are coming to the system I like. MS is not really doing any real money in this industry and if the 360 doesn't sell A LOT better than what is doing I doubt they will release any other console, at least not a product to compete directly with the Playstation/nintendo brands.

not sure why u call me a 360fanboy...i'd NEVER buy a 360...controls are obsolete

and remember that ps3 has only outsold 360 for 2-3 months now...since ps3's launch, 360 has outsold ps3

and at current rate of ps3 outselling 360, u are looking at late 2009/2010 before ps3 catches up...almost time for the next generation to start coming out

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

With poor console sales figures in its first two years.  One in 3 failure rate for hardware. Its main competitors Nintendo and Sony released one year after, one of which (Wii) has already passed the XBox 360 console sales. The best list of video games for 2007 (including Bioshock and Halo 3) , which failed to increase console sales. A mediocre list of exclusive titles for 2008. What does the future hold for Microsoft's XBox 360? 

I currently own an XBox 360 and I am deciding on trading  the XBox 360 in for a Nintendo Wii. Nintendo Wii may not have the graphical edge but least the games are fun to play and are not all FPS (PS3 and XBox 360)

Umm do the games Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo 5, Little Big Planet, Hot Shots Golf 5, Home, Motorstorm 2, White Knight Chronicles mean anything to you?

Sure you got us on games like Haze, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, etc. But theres great non-FPS games as well.