By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Including Kinect With Every Xbox One Is A Smart Move By Microsoft

landguy1 said:
Xenostar said:
Imaginedvl said:
selnor1983 said:
All these people saying adding price for a device people didn't ask for are completely silly statements.

It makes no sense.

Stick with PS4 if your happy with that. If you don't want to advance away from the previous generation that's fine. There is a console called PS4 which just upgrades graphics.

What I just read in the OP is Freaking amazing. Truly revolutionary.

Playing Killer Instinct, passing the controller to the next person and it automatically signs them in. No exiting said game, or logging one person out to log in another.

This is next gen. If you cant afford 100 pounds less than PS3 launched for, then good.

I don't want you holding back the progression of the Xbox One. Taking it out of the package and not including it with every Xbox would hold it back from a unified device perspective.

Very seriously, don't buy the Xbox One. Id rather you didn't ruin the next generation for all consoles. This isn't Xbox 360 .5

FANTASTIC ARTICLE.

AMAZING GENERATION AHEAD.

wow you are going to get some heat for that, but I simply cannot disagree with you :)

This is how I see the new Xbox One, while the PS4 is an amazin piece of hardware; I do not see anything different or innovative; it is just a more powerfull machine.

Microsoft on the other hand comes out with new ideas (Kinect 2, HDMI in, the all digital/family sharing original plan etc); 

Alright now; I'll be under fire too :) Anyway, that's my oppinion at least!

OP: Yes it is a very good move... Now Kinect is part of the offering and developpers will come out with brilliant ideas and use of it. Before that, as it was optionnal they were no reason for the devs to invest too much time in it. I'm pretty confident we will see a lot of wonderful use of Kinect with the Xbox One.

they wont its still optional less than 50% of there audience will have Kinect. Most devs will see it as a waste of resources. 

How do get to the 50% number if every system sold has it?  Most people buying the XB1 will hook it up(probably 95%+).  THey will try some of the unique features it provides.  They will start gaming and stop thinking about it.  Even if they don't regularly use it, it will be hooked up.  When they talk to their friends that have an XB1(people in friend groups generally buy similar or the same consoles), they will hear how they did something  or used kinect and the curiousity will kick in.

I have had a number of people who own 360's come over to my place and want to try the kinect.  A good portion of them went out and purchased it afterwords.  Seeing as how the Kinect 1.0 way underperformed compared to the demos for 2.0, I would think that it will only get easier for people to get into using Kinect 2.0  . 

People who say that they just can't buy the XB1 because they are paying for the Kinect or just don't want that feature is understandable.  It is odd if they haven't even tried it out.  I would bet that a number of them will eventually try it at a friends or whatever and quickly see that it isn't as much gimmick as they thought.  Kinect is really just another tool to have hooked to your television.  It can enhance many features of your living room.  The best part is that it can enhance and change how you play games.  Hard for me to jusge a game without playing it, so I can't imagine how so many people can dismiss this tech woithout atleast trying it.  The hard part for M$ is that very few of the launch titles really show the full capability of the Kinect, so people aren't being wowed.  I am not looking for being wowed, I just like the enhancements in all aspects that is can provide. 

I get 50% because im being genourous and saying that Xbox have half the market share, with PS4 and PC. You need to remember most games are multiplatform and Xbox is only a percentage of the total people playing a developers game. 

If i was being realistic i would probably go lower with 25-30% of a multiplaform devs players having a kinect.

Its just not gonna be supported well. Neither is PS4s touch pad. Why add features improve features for the minority when you can spend time making the game better for everybody. 

Around the Network

Yes, a smart move: Gotta get those advertising dollars.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=169916&page=1#

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

selnor1983 said:
Zekkyou said:

I generally ignore a lot of the rubbish you spout out, but skyping and playing an MMO are awkward on PC? You can't be serious :P

OT: While i can understand why they have done it, it really makes the Kinect a very unattractive purchase to me and many others. Kinect is no more next gen defining than the Wii Mote, it's just a different way to play some kinda of games. For any of us that have no interest in it, the Kinect is an £80 paper weight. 

It is when not everyone has a headset. Some type in a raid. Etc.

What I was refferring to is every Xbox One will have Kinect. With Kinect you dont need a headset. You can talk and hear with Kinect. Thats what I meant.

But cheers for the personal attack. It makes some feel better I suppose.

This article from that website is a very relevant article. Having every Console with the same feature set is only a +. It is only a negative on price. Kinect 2.0 and Xbox One is more than motion controls.

Also dropping Kinect for a Sku, would really detract fromthe whole point of calling it One. As in One box, One purchase does everything.

If someone wants to talk, they would buy a mic. For the same price as the added kinect (which works out as about $120 - $130 in england) you could buy a second monitor and a decent webcam with a mic for the same price. So while yes it does plenty of great things, those that want such features have much more viable options on a PC. 

If you don't want people "attacking" the comments you make you shouldn't post things saying the PS4 isn't really next gen. Opinion or not, that's just asking for trouble. The Kinect is great tech, but like i said, it does not define next gen. In the same way the current Kinect didn't make the 360 more current gen than the PS3.

Ive reread through the comments of this thread.

I just realized why people are saying what they are saying. A lot here are talking about Kinect as a controller. When 70% of its uses aren't even that.

Remember, Microsoft are on a completely different path than Sony. Completely different.

Its called Xbox One for a reason. Microsoft are trying to provide more than a games console. Something new and refreshing. Something that adds value to watching films, skyping made easy on a big screen, watching TV in an instant etc etc etc.

Sure you don't need it, the same way we don't need and didn't need Ipods ( CD's in cars for example were just fine ).

But its technology. And when it releases if it works beautifully then brilliant. Why not have a powerful games machine and the rest of the bells and whistles and have Windows 8 thrown in? They have done it, so either buy it and try it, or stick to just a games machine.

Personally Im looking forward to using PC's less. All I do on a PC anyway is internet and Word stuff. And I don't really have the room or want to have a PC or wires set up to my TV. Why when My Xbox One can do it easier?

selnor1983 said:

The only thing is 100% of devs and games annouced so far use Kinect. So when will the first game release without some form of Kinect intergration?

As i said earlier they will be used in launch titles while its somthing new and fun for designers and the techs, also devs trying to differntiate there launch titles. That will soon tale off.

and there really not using kinect well, Ubisoft said "For the Kinect, it's a tiny little thing," for black flag. Dice are still undecided if there putting anything in at all. Crimson Dragon has gone from being Kinect only to now being a pad game. Killer instinct uses it how all local multiplayer games have to use it now that there is no player numbers on the pads. Dead rising 3 just encourages you to unplug it as all it does is make the game harder, and i remember when shaking the pad on PS3 games to get Zombies off you was considered gimicky in Resistace 2 by everyone. 

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
Imaginedvl said:
selnor1983 said:
All these people saying adding price for a device people didn't ask for are completely silly statements.

It makes no sense.

Stick with PS4 if your happy with that. If you don't want to advance away from the previous generation that's fine. There is a console called PS4 which just upgrades graphics.

What I just read in the OP is Freaking amazing. Truly revolutionary.

Playing Killer Instinct, passing the controller to the next person and it automatically signs them in. No exiting said game, or logging one person out to log in another.

This is next gen. If you cant afford 100 pounds less than PS3 launched for, then good.

I don't want you holding back the progression of the Xbox One. Taking it out of the package and not including it with every Xbox would hold it back from a unified device perspective.

Very seriously, don't buy the Xbox One. Id rather you didn't ruin the next generation for all consoles. This isn't Xbox 360 .5

FANTASTIC ARTICLE.

AMAZING GENERATION AHEAD.

wow you are going to get some heat for that, but I simply cannot disagree with you :)

This is how I see the new Xbox One, while the PS4 is an amazin piece of hardware; I do not see anything different or innovative; it is just a more powerfull machine.

Microsoft on the other hand comes out with new ideas (Kinect 2, HDMI in, the all digital/family sharing original plan etc); 

Alright now; I'll be under fire too :) Anyway, that's my oppinion at least!

OP: Yes it is a very good move... Now Kinect is part of the offering and developpers will come out with brilliant ideas and use of it. Before that, as it was optionnal they were no reason for the devs to invest too much time in it. I'm pretty confident we will see a lot of wonderful use of Kinect with the Xbox One.

they wont its still optional less than 50% of there audience will have Kinect. Most devs will see it as a waste of resources. 

Oh you mean the global audience PS4/WiiU/Xbox One... Yah that's true; did not really think about it but you are right :)
I guess it will still be better than the Xbox 360 with Kinect 1 at least. Also first party studios will certainly try to make full us of it.

its a good move, for micorsoft, not for me, I dont want the dam camera, if i want a xbone im being forced to buy the perhiperal.......I would never! use it so as the consumer its not giving me personally any benifit, for those who want it, yes its great

selnor1983 said:
Ive reread through the comments of this thread.

I just realized why people are saying what they are saying. A lot here are talking about Kinect as a controller. When 70% of its uses aren't even that.

Remember, Microsoft are on a completely different path than Sony. Completely different.

Its called Xbox One for a reason. Microsoft are trying to provide more than a games console. Something new and refreshing. Something that adds value to watching films, skyping made easy on a big screen, watching TV in an instant etc etc etc.

Sure you don't need it, the same way we don't need and didn't need Ipods ( CD's in cars for example were just fine ).

But its technology. And when it releases if it works beautifully then brilliant. Why not have a powerful games machine and the rest of the bells and whistles and have Windows 8 thrown in? They have done it, so either buy it and try it, or stick to just a games machine.

Personally Im looking forward to using PC's less. All I do on a PC anyway is internet and Word stuff. And I don't really have the room or want to have a PC or wires set up to my TV. Why when My Xbox One can do it easier?

This is also how I see it. An all in one machine.

As far as Kinect being a controller; I also think it is a misconception a lot of people have. They see it as a controller and of course; as a bad one compared to the controller itself (the one with buttons :)). On top of all the live living room things (voice controls, etc..) I see Kinect as an additional way of playing or enhancing game play. One very good exemple is in BattleField 4 where you can lean your head to look around corners while moving and aiming with a real controller. (Who can seriously say that this is not awesome? I mean all of us while playing FPS does that, lean the head while approaching a corner )

Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:

The only thing is 100% of devs and games annouced so far use Kinect. So when will the first game release without some form of Kinect intergration?

As i said earlier they will be used in launch titles while its somthing new and fun for designers and the techs, also devs trying to differntiate there launch titles. That will soon tale off.

and there really not using kinect well, Ubisoft said "For the Kinect, it's a tiny little thing," for black flag. Dice are still undecided if there putting anything in at all. Crimson Dragon has gone from being Kinect only to now being a pad game. Killer instinct uses it how all local multiplayer games have to use it now that there is no player numbers on the pads. Dead rising 3 just encourages you to unplug it as all it does is make the game harder, and i remember when shaking the pad on PS3 games to get Zombies off you was considered gimicky in Resistace 2 by everyone. 

It was something new and fun 3 years ago. With the first Kinect. Nothing will tale off when its been natively designed into Xbox One. It wasnt natively designed into Xbox 360.

When we see Kinect not being used in games then we can talk. But so far, every game incorporates something. And the media has only great things to say about it so far. The first Kinect wasnt so great in the media. Microsoft are obviously doing something right.

phinch1 said:
its a good move, for micorsoft, not for me, I dont want the dam camera, if i want a xbone im being forced to buy the perhiperal.......I would never! use it so as the consumer its not giving me personally any benifit, for those who want it, yes its great

Its not a Peripheral if its part of Xbox One.

Same way Wii Nunchuck wasnt a peripheral.

Its cool if you dont want to by into Xbox One ( everyone forgets its called One because its trying to be more than a games machine ).

But Kinect 2.0 is Xbox One.