By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Another reason why PS Vita is doing worse in America than in Europe and Japan

amaral_slb said:

Just look at the PS3 this holiday, there is a Watch dogs, AC 4, Batman, and a GT plus last of us official bundles coming to Europe this year, were are these in US? The guys working on the US part of playstation are so stupid that knowing how they struggle in the country, they made the new blue playstation a gamestop exclusive, wow.

Again. Sony won't lose any more money. Cannot do the same bundles because the PS3 is so much cheaper in the US.

PS3 500GB in US: $276, EU: $333 (245) and UK: $337 (£209).

Around the Network
Mike_L said:
amaral_slb said:

Just look at the PS3 this holiday, there is a Watch dogs, AC 4, Batman, and a GT plus last of us official bundles coming to Europe this year, were are these in US? The guys working on the US part of playstation are so stupid that knowing how they struggle in the country, they made the new blue playstation a gamestop exclusive, wow.

Again. Sony won't lose any more money. Cannot do the same bundles because the PS3 is so much cheaper in the US.

So they are losing money on the GTA bundle?

Mike_L said:
amaral_slb said:

US price is without tax, EU price is with VAT. VAT varies in EU from 15 - 25%. Standard VAT rate in UK is 20%, so the actual price of a console is ~280$ in UK, the difference in price is the VAT (VAT stands for value added tax).

What would honestly make me pick up a vita is a good catalog of JRPG's as that is very hard to find on any system atm. I almost picked one up just for the downloadable titles from the PSP.

Price, memory cards and games for PSV is what Sony must work on EVERYWHERE, not only in America. But this Xmas most resources are on PS4 launch, so PSV could have to wait for Xmas 2014 and need a restyling and a new launch campaign to hype it enough. Using many standard smartphone and tablet components with few customisations, PSV will be fine on profitability and Sony will be able to drop its price without any problems (its estimated BoM was $160 in January 2012, so in mid 2014 it should be dirt cheap to build), this will allow Sony to keep it on the market even with low sales, but it will need a relaunch and serious support, sooner or later, if Sony doesn't want to give up almost all it achieved in the portable market with PSP. Also, Xmas 2014 is the last call, after that PSV will be able to survive only as a low-cost niche portable. It won't die,anyway, unless Sony kill it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Also European PSN has Breath of Fire 3 and American PSN does not.

No. Theres no BoF3 on PSN. Only physical PSP disc.

Or, if you have it i would like to know wich country you live in.

Week ending September 22 was literally the worst week for Vita hardware sales on record in Japan. And then the next week it had a pretty big release leading to one of its top 10 weeks for software sales on record in Japan, and received almost a nonexistent hardware bump. So, no.

I'll give you Europe, though. It's doing relatively alright there.

Also, Western publishers just don't seem to care about handhelds.

Nem said:

No. Theres no BoF3 on PSN. Only physical PSP disc.

Or, if you have it i would like to know wich country you live in.

I have BoF3 on my Vita.  It's compatible in the UK, at least.

the_dengle said:

Week ending September 22 was literally the worst week for Vita hardware sales on record in Japan.

Might want to check the numbers from before the new colours were introduced last year :P

Vita's problems start in the West start and finish with this one word: games. It get's next to no Western games. Japanese games are ok, jRPG may be fun, but I'm a Western gamer and I like Western games much, much more. Unfortunately so far we get next to nothing and it's sad :/I understand that this Christmas season Sony is focusing on PS4 in order not to screw this one up - I would do the same. But starting February-March 2014, they need to make a huge push on Vita. PS4 will do well, I think they've already secured that and the next Naughty Dogs and SSM games will be more than enough for 2014. But Vita needs some serious love from SCEE and SCEA. It can sell much, much more in the West than it is selling in Japan, they just need to give us similar support to what Vita is getting in Japan.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.