By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Voxel Cone Ray Tracing - When will we see this fully in Xbox One?

Tagged games:

fatslob-:O said:
ethomaz said:

selnor1983 said:

But I want to know what Xbox One games will really start to feature the shift over. Since its native to Xbox One hardware.

Thats really what this thread is about.

Ehh if I were you I'd leave him alone since he wouldn't bring up any meaningful evidence to the table while also not being able to explain it himself. 

Could you post someting meaninful or constructive? Or just not bother. Myself and Ethomaz are being pretty normal. Having a proper conversation. Your not adding anything.

Cmon bro. Be cool man.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:

Its not been implemented on a hardware level before.

The 4 Data move engines on Xbox One GPU can tile and untile natively. This helps the partial resident texturing. Along with DX 11.2 implementation.

If Voxel Cone Ray racing is used on the PS4 it has to be solely software implemented. Unless Sony is hiding something.

Microsoft wen to alot of detail in their Direct X conference this year about this. Developers hve echoed that Xbox One is faster for ray tracing implementation. Granted not full per pixel ray tracing. But Voxel Ray tracing is possile. And yes it is real ray tracing. But a voxel is a cluste of pixels rather than every pixel. So it is less intensive, but still much better than how we do a scene today in say Halo 4 or UNcharted 3.

AMD and Nvidia are currently building PC GPUs that have dedicated co processors for tiling and untiling partial residential texturing. Thats the key.

Octree would be impossile on Xbox One.

I'll ask you one more time, do you even know what the move engines essentially do ? 

Yep. They have 3 key abilities. Now I'll let you research and then act respectaly and post nicely.

selnor1983 said:
selnor1983 said:

Its not been implemented on a hardware level before.

The 4 Data move engines on Xbox One GPU can tile and untile natively. This helps the partial resident texturing. Along with DX 11.2 implementation.

If Voxel Cone Ray racing is used on the PS4 it has to be solely software implemented. Unless Sony is hiding something.

Microsoft wen to alot of detail in their Direct X conference this year about this. Developers hve echoed that Xbox One is faster for ray tracing implementation. Granted not full per pixel ray tracing. But Voxel Ray tracing is possile. And yes it is real ray tracing. But a voxel is a cluste of pixels rather than every pixel. So it is less intensive, but still much better than how we do a scene today in say Halo 4 or UNcharted 3.

AMD and Nvidia are currently building PC GPUs that have dedicated co processors for tiling and untiling partial residential texturing. Thats the key.

Octree would be impossile on Xbox One.

I'll ask you one more time, do you even know what the move engines essentially do ? 

Yep. They have 3 key abilities. Now I'll let you research and then act respectaly and post nicely.

It sounds to me like YOU DON'T know what they do so once again answer the question or I won't be able to take you seriously in a hardware descussion. 

So is it the secret sauce ?

Can someone give viewable examples of this and how it makes games look better ?

Tech chat is nice, but is there examples in images or video form, even if on pc just for reference ?

FrancisNobleman said:

Tech chat is nice, but is there examples in images or video form, even if on pc just for reference ?

I believe you will have to take a look at the Epic demo before they took out the voxel ray tracing lighting.  I remembe all the hoopla over it being taking out during the PS4 demo which there were some obvious difference.  Maybe I can do some research and find the material.

Around the Network
FrancisNobleman said:

Well this is a Demo running in a GTX 680.

http://youtu.be/fAsg_xNzhcQ

Everquest Next is using it for some things too.

FrancisNobleman said:

Project Spark is not using any polygons at all. It uses Voxels ( groups of pixels ) to shot light through rather than every pixel like full real ray tracing.

You will notice no polygon edges like other games.

Now Voxel ray Tracing as i said is

The ball is a Voxel. A cube of pixels really.

Project spark is also using voxels

Here is a link to an IGN post that I believe selnor is basing his thread. Very interesting read. Need to go to the bottom for the X1 stuff. From MS build event I do remember that it was stated that the X1 has hardware based tile rendering which was talked about before. Combining that with voxel cone raytracing might produce some very interesting results.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/so-could-the-x1s-secret-sauce-be-voxel-cone-ray-tracing.453362563/

Unrreal Engine 4 using Voxel Sparse Octree RAy Tracing. Before it was removed for the famous PS4 demo and ensuing complaints that followed. The same end result as Voxel Ray Tracing, but not as efficient. UE4  could run on Xbox One with Partial Resident texturing instead of Octree.

Highly doubt any next gen consoles are capable of it. Maybe next-next-gen.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia