By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Dev: GDDR5 Is Uncomfortable [...] ESRAM Provides High Bandwidth At Low Power Read

Microsoft is in full defence mode lately, huh? They really should stop, no one is buying this. It's an embarrassement for the gaming industry.

Nintendo and Sony are much more classy. Every gaming executive should take a look at Shuhei or Iwata for a lesson in how to properly represent your company without resorting to such petty spins and lies.

Around the Network

The problem with this, from a discussion standpoint, is that he doesn't explain what an "uncomfortable place" even means. He says that then switches to hyping the ESRAM on the XO.

does an article about another article count as a new article?

Well if he wasnt talking about low power modes for standby as per my previous post then he really is just talking out of his arse.

They already had the go ahead to not put the power supply inside the box, there box has probably about 50% more internal space than a PS4, if they were still having power issues, they should of got some proper hardware companies onboard.

But i still believe he must of been referencing power consumption in stand by mode.

Ashadian said:
Lol! Lol! I wonder why PC GPU's use GDDR5 Ram??? Maybe MS should send Nvidia and AMD an email telling them to use Esram instead. Lmfao! MS shill talks up his own product while dismissing the competition without a shred of evidence to back it up with!

I wouldnt say he is dismissing it.  He pretty muchs says that gddr5 can do the same thing, but that it might take more power.  His comments are mostly just talking about the benefits of the x1 approach.  No need to be hostile about it.  Im sure the people at microsoft know the ps4 is a more powerful system.  

Also, did this thread really make you laugh out loud three times?

Around the Network

His argument is based in the fact GDDR5 is expensive and more power consumption than eSRAM + DDR3... nothing about power in games.

I don't know the PS4 is cheaper and we need to see how much each console will consume first.

Somini said:
Microsoft is in full defence mode lately, huh? They really should stop, no one is buying this. It's an embarrassement for the gaming industry.

Nintendo and Sony are much more classy. Every gaming executive should take a look at Shuhei or Iwata for a lesson in how to properly represent your company without resorting to such petty spins and lies.

yep but i cant blame them.  i actively search out the latest news on ps4 and xbox one and the popular press on any given day is always pointing out that xbox "fumbled their message" or "trailing in pre-orders" or "not as powerful" or "too expensive" or something else not positive. 

Dis gon be good.gif

mmm really weird, didn't Sony base his decision on how to make the PS4 because of the game developers?, Mark Cerny in alot of conferences and interviews he stated that lots of times, so ultimately the developers know how to handle this console without any problems, and already lots of game developers already saying how easy is to develop for the PS4 and get awesome results, meanwhile MS xbox one never stated how they come into the design of their console, I really doubt game developers would agree on having 3 O.S. all running at the same time is just ridiculous, from Computer Engineer point of view this just horrible there are going to be alot of constraints for the developer since it needs to have in consideration all of this 3 O.S. that nobody ask, just because  MS wanted to add TV ? are they out of their mind ?, well moving on, lots of people see the 8 GDDR5 not as significant and not as the big deal blah blah, well let me tell you this, this is the game changer right here, it doesn't matter if you have a freaking powerful GPU or CPU in the end developers need high bandwidth to process lots amounts of data if not you are going to have bottlenecks lots of them. Just look at the PC community modding and OC their CPUs and GPUs (like me :)), and OC= Over Clock, and why we do this ? for high speeds data process= better looking games ;)

No need for DDR5 when you have da cloudz :D
On a more serious note MS must be tired of having to explain their approach compared to competition approach, being on defensive mode since the reveal must be energy consuming...poor ms pr guys, they must have a crazy schedule....

RIP ps3, xbox360.

welcome home ps4 and X1