By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Think Zelda U Will Come Out Around This Time Next Year

Zelda needs the Wii U. The Wii U needs Zelda. Nintendo knows this, and that's why I think the next Zelda will be released Q4 of 2014. Of course, I have some evidence to back this up.

First, I have a quote from the man, the myth, the legend, Shigeru Miyamoto.

“We’re also working on a new Wii U Zelda game. Work on that is progressing fairly concretely. In fact, we were thinking about showing it here at E3 but decided to wait just a little bit longer before sharing it with everyone.”

Now, if the game was in a showable state, it must be up and running on the system correct? Development periods for Zelda titles are usually 3-4 years. We got Wind Waker in 2003, and Twilight Princess about 3 years later. Hell, the gap between Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask was two years, and the gap between Majora's Mask and Wind Waker was 3, so we have a bit of a pattern going on. Take note that Skyward Sword was released way back in 2011. When development started for Zelda U is unknown, but I'm assuming it was right after Skyward Sword, maybe even during.

Now remember back in January when Nintendo held that legendary direct? They said that Wind Waker HD was meant to tide us over for the next Zelda title, now naturally, a game as big as Wind Waker HD would usually take 100 hours to beat, if you completed it in both regular mode and hero mode. Naturally, the game won't last that long if you play it avidly. HOWEVER, if you play it casually and alternate between other games and etc, it would take 9-10 months to beat, which leads me to think that during that time Nintendo will reveal Zelda U and give us a solid release date.

We also have the release of A Link Between Worlds, the first original Zelda title for 3DS. This might serve as an experiment for Zelda U. I say this because it allows you to do dungeons in any order, and how this is recieved might affect how development continues on the Wii U.

This is all speculation, but I think that the game will come out sooner than we expect. Nintendo knows the Wii U needs a new Zelda, and they have hired a ton of employees to get the game out in a timely manner.

Around the Network

Certainly possible. Ocarina came out two years after its respective console launched, as did Wind Waker.

However, a few things make me think 2015:

We did just get a Zelda this year (albeit a remake) and the fact that 2014 already has Mario Kart, Smash and now DK lined up to go along with smaller titles like Bayonetta and X; and HOPEFULLY a new, unannounced game that proves why the Gamepad is a game changer.

Also, seeing as how the new Zelda is rumored to be a massive undertaking for Nintendo - I believe their most expensive and probably time consuming game to develop ever (and we all know about Ninty's HD learning curve), they may let Metroid or another key franchise take the spotlight for holiday 2014 while they put the finishing touches on it.

Finally, it's Zelda... I mean, it's practically a prerequisite for a new entry in the franchise to be delayed at least a couple of times before launching.

idk. Zeldas take time and we have nothing so far about it. No name, no pics, nothing really.
Curious though. Why does the Gamepad have to be a game changer? No PS controller has ever been a game changer. No MS console has ever been a game changer. The Mouse is a few years older than me and still the default PC controller. It ads to gaming allowing things that weren't possible before this generation but not every game has to take advantage of that.

archbrix said:
Certainly possible. Ocarina came out two years after its respective console launched, as did Wind Waker.

However, a few things make me think 2015:

We did just get a Zelda this year (albeit a remake) and the fact that 2014 already has Mario Kart, Smash and now DK lined up to go along with smaller titles like Bayonetta and X; and HOPEFULLY a new, unannounced game that proves why the Gamepad is a game changer.

Also, seeing as how the new Zelda is rumored to be a massive undertaking for Nintendo - I believe their most expensive and probably time consuming game to develop ever (and we all know about Ninty's HD learning curve), they may let Metroid or another key franchise take the spotlight for holiday 2014 while they put the finishing touches on it.

Finally, it's Zelda... I mean, it's practically a prerequisite for a new entry in the franchise to be delayed at least a couple of times before launching.

Agree with Archbrix. I would love a new Zelda next year, but I think 2015 is more likely. Three Zelda games in 12 months would be quite a feat.

Plus, like Archbrix wrote, 2014 is already pretty stacked: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Bayonetta, X, and maybe Yarn Yoshi and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Twilight Princess was 2006
Skyward Sword was 2011 =5 years

Plus Nintendo has a portable System thats as complex as the Wii was (DS development was easy compared to Wii an 3DS) and making games in HD on WiiU is even harder especially for Nintendo  because other studios already know the tricks to make HD games  Nintendo had to learn it

So there goes your 3-4 year pattern.  2015 is more likely  (even tho sad)

BTW Twilight Princess was first revealed in 2004 (the insane crowd reaction video)  Skyward Sword was also first revelaed 2 years before it came out (the link+phi image)

TBH if they need more time to kill the stupid "chose your level" world design  and replace it with the conventional   "explore a huge connected world"   I am happy and they can take as much time as they want.  The  crippled world in SkywardSword was unbearable....

Around the Network

I hope 2014, and it's far from unlikely, but it'll come when it's ready.

I predict we'll SEE Zelda U next year...either in a Nintendo Direct early in 2014 or else at E3 at the very latest. However, I think they'll announce at E3 that, "we need a little more time before it's ready...please understand this situation," and tentatively give it a Spring 2015 release window. Then, much time will pass without a peep and then come E3 2015, they'll finally show an update on the title and announce that it's been delayed to Holiday 2015, where it will indeed release on the last Sunday before Thanksgiving in November 2015.

To the OP, were it to come out November 2014, I would be overjoyed...though given that they'll likely have X, Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, and possibly Super Smash Bros. (Sakurai tends to delay just like the Zelda team in favor of polish and quality assurance) all as potential 2nd-half 2014 games, I think I'd rather they took the extra time on it anyway to really make it something special.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Nope.

2015 is more likely. Zelda games take time.

I hope it comes soon but Im worried when I apply logic...tp arrived at the end of the gamecubes lifecycle, then ss arrived pretty near the end of the wii's lifecycle...somehow I think a newer zelda game is gonna take even longer to develop than either of those games unless they take shortcuts and who wants that?