By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii U update out now – off-TV play for Wii games, Friends List on the GamePad, more

Update: A quick overview of new features:

-USB Keyboard

-Wii Off TV Play (still requires Wiimotes)

-Surround Sound support for Wii games (Dolby Pro Logic II)

-Access Friend’s List from Wii U menu directly

-Upload screens taken when pausing the game directly to blogs and forums using the browser.

-Option to receive automatically downloaded software from Nintendo.

-Wii U Chat via headset connected to the Game Pad

-View PDFs on the Browser.

A new Wii U update is now available for download. It should be up around the world – North America, Europe, and Japan.

It seems like the update is a rather large download (648 MB), so we’re not quite sure what it does just y

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-wii-u-update-out-now/et. We’ll keep this post up-to-date with details.

Around the Network

Not sure I get the off TV support for the Wii. It's not compatible with the gamepad controls, so I need a Wiimote. So I guess if I want to play Mario Galaxy on a 6 inch non handheld screen I could... ummmm... yay?

Other features are very cool though.

JWeinCom said:
Not sure I get the off TV support for the Wii. It's not compatible with the gamepad controls, so I need a Wiimote. So I guess if I want to play Mario Galaxy on a 6 inch non handheld screen I could... ummmm... yay?

Other features are very cool though.

Hey we finally get an excuse to use that pointless gamepad stand that came with the deluxe version.  You know the one that didn't charge as well.

Just set up the gamepad and you have a 10" screen to play on, lol.

But the news of this feature, while pointless, cause I doubt I'll use it, since as stated you can't use gamepad, it does exite me for the future.

Hoping this means they are working on a way to play wii games with the gamepad.

Agree with JWeinCom. Weird about the Wii off-TV play.

Other things are cool, especially the friend list. The upload screen function will be great for blogging, too :D

Isn't the second "performance boost" update suppose to come out yet?

But overall, a cool update, I just wish that they would do something about the account system... the wiiU is fine for now but the 3ds needs a overhall

Also that wii update is a bit odd... But I guess it makes sense if your tv is busy and you want to play a wii game on it that doesn't require motion controls?

Maybe its ment for the people without tvs

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

This is the sexiest update do ever exist.

Tried the Wii off-TV play...
The emulation issues that DKC3 had on the VC are no longer an issue on the game pad...
Looks much better...
Yayyy...

Have a nice day...

spurgeonryan said:
I like this pictures to forums thing. should do 3ds like that as well.

I would love videos to forums and youtube as well.

What is this off tve play? On the game pad? was that not already a feature?

not for Wii games, only Wii U games

Click HERE and be happy 

Playing Brawl in the restroom is now possible. My life is complete.

Does this mean you can now play Wii games in the car?

slick your gamepad on the back of the headrest or whatever infront of you and play any wii game on the go now, as well as wii u games.

Is there a stand yet? seems like someone should have some velcro car thing for the gamepad where you can hang your gamepad on the seat in front of you.