By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Parting Post: GTA V's success is bad for the videogame industry.

Alot of your post reminds me of Hollywood and the movie industry as well.

Around the Network

Of the eight points you made, I can safely say I agree with none of them. I can understand the perspective, but I think it's too flawed to be valid.

Anyway, so long and such.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

arrivederci

JWeinCom said:
platformmaster918 said:
JWeinCom said:
platformmaster918 said:
GTA5 isn't bad because GTA doesn't come out every year. It's COD, AC, BF/MoH, and sports games that cause this concentration of sales EVERY year. Puppeteer unfortunately suffered though and will likely flop now :( I'll pick it up BF and help support the devs (also it looks bloody fantastic but I've got to save every cent).

It's hard to blame GTA for Puppeteer flopping.  Puppeteer was simply sent out to die with poor marketing. 

Good point just like sly.  Hopefully Sony finds it in their hearts to advertise some games not by ND, SSM, or Polyphony.  They didn't have one commercial for heavy rain, killzone, puppeteer, sly, beyond, or even ratchet recently

Sony has a lot of neat ideas for games, but they rarely seem to go all in with them.  They either have a full scale marketing blitz, or nothing at all.

The sad part is they do the hard work, the development.  Then they make online trailers but dont even put segments of them on tv for most games.  Twisted metal was another good example

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
JWeinCom said:
platformmaster918 said:
JWeinCom said:
platformmaster918 said:
GTA5 isn't bad because GTA doesn't come out every year. It's COD, AC, BF/MoH, and sports games that cause this concentration of sales EVERY year. Puppeteer unfortunately suffered though and will likely flop now :( I'll pick it up BF and help support the devs (also it looks bloody fantastic but I've got to save every cent).

It's hard to blame GTA for Puppeteer flopping.  Puppeteer was simply sent out to die with poor marketing. 

Good point just like sly.  Hopefully Sony finds it in their hearts to advertise some games not by ND, SSM, or Polyphony.  They didn't have one commercial for heavy rain, killzone, puppeteer, sly, beyond, or even ratchet recently

Sony has a lot of neat ideas for games, but they rarely seem to go all in with them.  They either have a full scale marketing blitz, or nothing at all.

The sad part is they do the hard work, the development.  Then they make online trailers but dont even put segments of them on tv for most games.  Twisted metal was another good example

I don't think that TV is the be all end all like most people suggest, but I've seen so little promotion of the game anywhere.  It's a bit related to the OP where Sony just seems to want to go big or not really bother, but I have to wonder why they even bother funding this stuff.

Around the Network

You will be missed. You are correct that high budget games which try to imitate established IPs will continue to bankrupt many 3rd party companies.

Well, you'll probably never read this comment and you'll never reply, but nevertheless I need to question whose fault it is that AAA titles have become the standard. Is it the publishers, or is it maybe the consumers? After all, who's buying and playing all the games? Who's deciding what games sell? We do. We vote with our valets, and we rather spend our money on big, bloated budget games than a mid-tire game.

Can we really blame the publichers for wanting to cater to what we obviously want?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Good games deserve good sales. If other developers can't keep up with Rockstar, it's not their fault. They were themselves a small studio once. But instead of bringin some artistic nonsense and writing "INDIE!!" all over it or spending too much money on games they can't afford, they just made high quality games. One after another. Raising the quality every time. So now they are at GTA 5 and I have no doubt they will raise the bar again in 5 years with GTA 6.

Everything Rockstar has is well deserved. Small studios simply do not sell millions of copies. And if they think they must, they are out of their mind.You have to work your way to the Top. Rockstar did just that. You don't just start at the top because other developers are kind enough to not pack everything they can in their games.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Point 8: William S. Burroughs was the Best American Author of the 2nd Half of the 20th Century for doing the same thing which is the purpose of all true art. It's supposed to reveal things to you about life where few people dare to tread.

Sure, it would have been better for the industry if GTA was a flop, causing BIG trouble for Take Two. Are you serious? Or do you just like to hate on popular things and go against mainstream?

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey