By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mantle: Digital Foundry "It is like the PS4 GNM API" vs AnandTech "Same than Xbone low level API"

Tagged games:

The first two articles about Mantle have differenct ideias about it (or I can say the same)?

Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-could-amd-mantle-revolutionise-pc-gaming

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understanding-amds-mantle-a-lowlevel-graphics-api-for-gcn

DF

Mantle appears to have much in common with the GNM API used in PlayStation 4, offering low-level GPU access while retaining a very high level of compatibility with Microsoft's existing programmable pixel shader language (HLSL). The potential here cannot be under-estimated - much of the optimisation work that is carried out on console versions of multi-platform games can now be rolled out to the PC version too. In addition, there is also the opportunity to exploit AMD-specific hardware features that are under-utilised - or perhaps not even implemented at all - in DirectX.

AT 

What’s not being said, but what becomes increasingly hinted at as we read through AMD’s material is not just that Mantle is a low level API, but rather Mantle is the low level API. As in it’s either a direct copy or a very close derivative of the Xbox One’s low level graphics API. All of the pieces are there; AMD will tell you from the start that Mantle is designed to leverage the optimization work done for games on the next generation consoles, and furthermore Mantle can even use the Direct3D High Level Shader Language (HLSL), the high level shader language Xbox One shaders will be coded against in the first place. Let’s be very clear here: AMD will not discuss the matter let alone confirm it, so this is speculation on our part. But it’s speculation that we believe is well grounded. Based on what we know thus far, we believe Mantle is the Xbox One’s low level API brought to the PC.

What do you think guys? 

Around the Network

So its RIP PS4 & X1 -

Speaking of optimisation advantage of consoles

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Bias everywhere!

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

T think that the best thing we can do is what both sites say in the end: wait until AMD's Developer Summit in November where they will tell more about it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

#BadNewsForNvidia

Around the Network

I think there's a chance that SteamOS is going to be bigger deal than I thought it was.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ergo PS4 and Xbox One graphics API are basically the same.

And now the Steam box will get the same advantages, same games, same performance, at bargain prices. Except for the box, that's probably going to be costly. Unless Steam is also going to charge substantial licensing fees they would have no incentive to subsidize the hardware.

SvennoJ said:
Ergo PS4 and Xbox One graphics API are basically the same.

And now the Steam box will get the same advantages, same games, same performance, at bargain prices. Except for the box, that's probably going to be costly. Unless Steam is also going to charge substantial licensing fees they would have no incentive to subsidize the hardware.

Well the API are not the same... and if I remember Mantle is only available to Windows for while .

Didn't Digital Foundry's credibility go out the door after an Xbox rumor went wrong? AnandTech it is...

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Like I posted in your other thread about this earlier, AMD posted on their twitter that the anandtech article is "an excellent summary" of what Mantle is

Edit: Sorry it was Zarx's thread, not yours