By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Poll: How will the PS4 do in Japan? Better or worse than the PS3?

How much will the PS4 do in Japan lifetime?

Less than 2.5 million 49 16.67%

More than 2.5 million 6 2.04%

More than 5 million 22 7.48%

More than 7.5 million 48 16.33%

More than 10 million 46 15.65%

More than 12.5 million 31 10.54%

More than 15 million 43 14.63%

More than 17.5 million 3 1.02%

More than 20 million 16 5.44%

More than 25 million 30 10.20%

Total:294

We know it's cheaper, but we also know the PS2 acted as a more promising launching pad for the Japanese than the PS3 likely will. We know the Japanese developer support is looking stronger this early on, but we also know they could very well completely pull out of consoles and flee to iOS before the generation is even halfway over. We know the Wii U is looking very weak compared to the PS3 competitor Wii, leaving theoretically more marketshare for the PS4 to easily nab this time around... But we've also all heard how Japanese gamers have all moved on to handhelds.

What do you guys think? Will the PS4 be a revival of sorts for the Playstation home console brand in Japan, or will things continue to shrink?

About how much do you expect lifetime for the PS4, and why?

Around the Network

Console industry in Japan is dying, I expect it to sell less than PS3.

It's smaller than the slim so that will be big in Japan apparently and Nintendo home consoles won't take as much away. I think once FF and KH hit it'll really do well. Also the cheaperiness will be a great help obviously.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Console gaming is on the decline, but the PS4 is facing much weaker competition than the PS3 had. I think it will sell better, but it won't make PS2 number.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Expect this thing to sell more than the PS3

@Those who is saying consoles are dying in Japan

What Fusioncode said there is true, this thing doesn't even have a competition in japan.

Around the Network

I think it can do more than 10 million.

I expect life time between 13-15 millions

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

I expect it to be around the same.

10-12 million would be my guess.

Soundwave said:
Console industry in Japan is dying, I expect it to sell less than PS3.

Only because JRPGs are moving to handhelds...Sony just needs to help bring JRPGs to the PS4 and its set.  Its not like JRPGs have huge budgets or anything so it shouldn't be hard at all.