By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dr.Grass reviews Metroid Prime (Dolphin)

Tagged games:

Metroid Prime is worth (in today's terms):

10/10 48 46.15%

9.5/10 28 26.92%

9/10 11 10.58%

8/10 2 1.92%

7/10 3 2.88%

6/10 5 4.81%

Never played it 7 6.73%

Total:104
F0X said:
Dr.Grass said:

To all of you bringing up this point, the backtracking is an amazing part of metroid. The game style isn't called metroidvania for nothing. There are just some times when it's unnecessary and frustrating. It's not perfect. And the fetch quest takes too long - part of the same problem.

I wouldn't say it's perfect either, but at the same time I haven't played a series that has better backtracing. It's strikes as hard to make it good in the first place, so I personally would overlook the occasional rough spot.

The fetch quest can take a long time, but the player has the opportunity to pick up at least few artifacts before the end of the game. I think staggering it out feels much better than trying to tackle all of them in succession.

Anyway, none of this truly bothers me after many, many playthroughs. At this point, I hardly ever need to look at the map and know where all of the energy tanks and most of the missile expansions are (needless to say, I turn of the hints). I can plan a route through the game which minimizes backtracking, and to me that's part of the fun now. Prime is God's gift to speedrunners.

@underlined1: How many times?

@underlined2: Indeed!

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Dr.Grass said:
enditall727 said:
There was nothing wrong with the damn back tracking in Prime. It didn't hamper my experience at all because it was all done right.

The only bad thing I can think of about Prime was the whole Chozo artifact things. There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would've been able to beat that game if I didn't borrow my friends strategy guide to find them. I don't see how anybody on the face of this planet was able to find those BASTARDS without some type of guide.

I was like 11 when I beat it so maybe I was too young to understand the proper way of finding them? Who knows

" I don't see how anybody on the face of this planet was able to find those BASTARDS without some type of guide."

Man it's so easy. You go to the artifact temple and scan the stones and they literally tell you a) in which major location (phendrana, magmoor etc.) the artifact is and b)which room it is in. You find the room and the hint tells you where in the room it is. It literally couldn't be easier.

Now forgive me for going down this root... But if you found that impossible, then I'm wondering how much else you used that strategy guide for. And you know what; strategy guides have a way of minimizing your backtracking by giving you the optimum route so that you don't run around for hours for nothing.

I'd say the whole point I'm making about the frustration in the game passed you by by default since you didn't play it properly.

I.e. my opinion is that you're not fit to comment.

Sorry for those comments, but if you want to prove me wrong then play it again and tell me that there aren't some moments where you think, "Jesus REALLY!!? I have to go all the way back there now AGAIN!? I was just there!". Those are the moments a seasoned gamer and absolutely rabbid fanboy like myself experienced, and even I was a touch disappointed..

To all of you bringing up this point, the backtracking is an amazing part of metroid. The game style isn't called metroidvania for nothing. There are just some times when it's unnecessary and frustrating. It's not perfect. And the fetch quest takes too long - part of the same problem.

No

I played the game multiple times and got all the way up to the point where i needed the Chozo Artifacts. I was stuck at that point for like 1 or 2 years and then i ran into a friend who had the guide, i borrowed it and found the remaining artifacts that i couldn't find.

I naturally found a good portion of the artifacts on my own while playing.

When i got the guide, it showed where a lot of the health tanks and missile upgrades were that i originally missed

Those were the days where if you got stuck then you were just fucked.

Ok! Good job not responding with venom. 11 year old and finished Metroid Prime is no shabby achievement at all! Even if you used a guide. It's a challenging game.

Dr.Grass said:
F0X said:
Dr.Grass said:

I wouldn't say it's perfect either, but at the same time I haven't played a series that has better backtracing. It's strikes as hard to make it good in the first place, so I personally would overlook the occasional rough spot.

The fetch quest can take a long time, but the player has the opportunity to pick up at least few artifacts before the end of the game. I think staggering it out feels much better than trying to tackle all of them in succession.

Anyway, none of this truly bothers me after many, many playthroughs. At this point, I hardly ever need to look at the map and know where all of the energy tanks and most of the missile expansions are (needless to say, I turn of the hints). I can plan a route through the game which minimizes backtracking, and to me that's part of the fun now. Prime is God's gift to speedrunners.

@underlined1: How many times?

@underlined2: Indeed!

Nine. Six of those times, I played for low completion times.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero