By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rayman Legends ..... great game, great flop

I'll wait to after the holidays to call it a flop. I still have to pick up my copy.

Around the Network
Chandler said:
ghettoglamour said:
If people were actually aware of this game the old italian plumber would be in serious trouble. But this way, Nintendo can afford to make the same fucking game for 20 more years.

I reported you on the basis of this. Lets see if there is a difference in judgment depending on the company stuff like this is aimed at.

Are you serious?  You think Nintendo WON'T be making Super Mario Bros. 20 years from now?  This comment is not the same as the one you quoted whatsoever.

Regarding the OP, I don't think big budget platformers really entice people much anymore.  The only real exceptions seem to be well known franchises that people are familiar and comfortable with.  People buy Mario because they've always bought Mario, it requires zero effort to get into.  If it were a new IP being introduced now, I don't think it would fare very well, either.

After all, there are dozens of pretty good platformers out there for $15.

Same with Puppeteer :(

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I completed half of the levels of this game. It seems that the difficulty is less important than in Origins, which is a negative point in my opinion. Despite the quality of the rythm levels, my gaming experience for Rayman Legends is worse than Rayman Origins. Less bugs than in Origins (such as when you got out of a room, the door closed, and you died...) but still some inaccuracies in controls in Rayman Legends.

Although 2D Mario games are not getting better and better, their gameplays and controls of those are (almost always) flawless. OK, Rayman Legends is inspired, original, but not perfect, far from it.

However, this doesn't explain why the sales are so bad. Moreover, neither advertising campaigns, nor the difficulty of the game could. So, that's kind of mystery. Maybe Rayman is less fixed in gaming habits...

Yoshi's the best of the beasts

pokoko said:
Chandler said:
ghettoglamour said:
If people were actually aware of this game the old italian plumber would be in serious trouble. But this way, Nintendo can afford to make the same fucking game for 20 more years.

I reported you on the basis of this. Lets see if there is a difference in judgment depending on the company stuff like this is aimed at.

Are you serious?  You think Nintendo WON'T be making Super Mario Bros. 20 years from now?  This comment is not the same as the one you quoted whatsoever.

Regarding the OP, I don't think big budget platformers really entice people much anymore.  The only real exceptions seem to be well known franchises that people are familiar and comfortable with.  People buy Mario because they've always bought Mario, it requires zero effort to get into.  If it were a new IP being introduced now, I don't think it would fare very well, either.

After all, there are dozens of pretty good platformers out there for $15.

They'll probably make SMB in 20 years from now. But will they make "the same fucking game"? Probably not.

OT: If Ubisoft actually spent some money on marketing then perhaps sales would be a bit higher.

Around the Network
Th3PANO said:
ghettoglamour said:

The game is really creative and innovative but the controls are still floaty and not at 2D Mario Level.

Not every platformer is supposed to play like Mario.

Releasing a game at the same time as GTA V was folly.... If they had of stuck to their WII U release date earlier in the year and released on PS3/360 later on they would have done well.... Fail...
Too bad because the game is great, especially the Wii U version.
It also speaks of a larger problem, I have been gaming for 30 years and the lack of new IP and consumers inclination to buy sequels means creativity is @ an all time low and gaming is becoming stale.
As much as PS4 is going to be awesome its primarily the same old shit with better graphics***yawn***

There is a chunk of people that they pissed off and put their money toward other things. And the multiple releases of huge games ruined its chances. It's really simple to guess why. Even if Wii U made the game sell bad. Doesn't justify why 360 and PS3 ports sold bad either. Except for bad timing and backlash.

ghettoglamour said:

So unnecessary and a sad trolling attempt.

If you are to blame someone, it is the gamers who prefer FPS over games thst are actually fun.

Panama said:
Th3PANO said:

The game is really creative and innovative but the controls are still floaty and not at 2D Mario Level.

Not every platformer is supposed to play like Mario.

I agree, but you hear the same thing about almost every platformer.  It's really sad that many people don't want to play a game for what it is, but rather just seem to want a copy of what they're used to.  You hear the same thing with FPS games that aren't the same as Halo or CoD.  "OMG, the controls aren't the same, I can't do this!"  One of my biggest pet peeves with gamers.