By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - A new case, what do you PC gamers think?

I'm just not a fan of snipers in any game usually hehe. It's more exciting and fun for me to play as the other classes. And I do like dustbowl, but gravelpit is my favorite map for sure.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I haven't had much time in that map yet. We're getting a 30 day trial of a 7mb cable modem soon so hopefully I'll be able to have some fun and check everything out soon.

It depends on the game really, I really like it in TF2 because I can call things out to my team from incoming spies to enemies and generally support the team.

ssj12 said:
chuckd said:
I hope that you already have one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

I dont even have one of those. Stock can work for minor OCs. Just need good airflow through the rest of the case.

If it's your cpu that's overheating, then you should buy this before the case. I don't care if you don't have it overclocked at all. Better airflow through the case will bring down the ambient temperature a few degrees, but your cpu will still run hot. Even if your pc doesn't hit the shutdown temp, you will still be shortening the life of your processor. Heat kills cpus and you should try to keep it as cool as possible. A better case, however, will help all of your components. Depending on your current ps, I'd probably suggest keeping it and getting the cpu fan instead.

The Arctic Freezer I have is fine right now. It takes a while for it to even hit the shutdown temperature, it's been around two to three hours when it happens.

If you're computer is overheating AT ALL then you should not be overclocking at all. Seriously - don't be dumb about this. If you don't have the cooling, don't insist on pushing it until it's regularly crashing. Overclocking is about gaining more speed, and functionally its about not giving up stability. If your computer isn't prime95 stable for 24 hours then your OC is too much. Improve your cooling, for the love of god read about what you are doing, and don't do dumb things. Way too many people have thought "whats the worst that could happen?" and ended up out a couple hundred bucks.

Around the Network

The reason it turns off is because of the motherboard setting to automatically do it after a certain temperature. In fact, I would rather have that in place than to turn it off. Not to mention that this CPU overclocked runs cooler than my older CPU setup, even 5+C lower in idle.

In the end, that's why for my first attempt at it, I have a sub-$100 cpu that is known to overclock easily instead of a much more expensive one which may overclock well, but costs two or three times as much.

1) What is the shutdown temperature
2) What is the cpu
3) What voltage are you running the cpu at
4) Its obviously not prime stable for 24 hours, but how long will it go before it turns in errors?

Update-

So I have the case and I've made the switch. Let me post some results here. First off, this case looks a little smaller than my other one, though it's a little wider (obviously for the 200mm fan for pete's sake). It's also lighter as the Wavemaster case was like 100% aluminum while this one is metal and plastic.

Anyway, onto the results. I went home to make the switch and when I was done, I put the new case in the desk in my parent's computer room. I don't remember the exact temperature that the old case would get, but I know for a fact that it would idle around the mid 40's C. This new case idled at about 31-32C (using CoreTempBeta). Back at my apartment, my old case would idle around 37C and the new case now idles (as I'm typing this right now) at about 28C. The temperature may or may not go up a little bit in the future because I have my window open right now, but I'm not thinking it would change that much considering how low the temperature was inside my parent's desk compared to the old tower.

So far, I'm really liking the look and feel of the case. The blue LED's are very strong though, but I usually don't leave my PC on overnight. However, because of all the fans, it's louder than my old case, but its noise is still under the noise from the fan I have by my window so it's not that big of a problem seeing as my bed is directly next to the window. In fact, perhaps the extra noise from the tower can help drown out a little bit of noise from my room mates when they have people over and stay up till like 3 in the morning (ugh... especially when I have to get up for a morning class). Things slid in without too much trouble, the only issue I had was putting my media card reader in the floppy attachment that came with the case. The holes for the screws don't line up properly so it's not completely secured in the case so I just need to be careful to not push too hard on the face of the card reader.

Lastly, when it comes to airflow, this thing has been pretty amazing. I'm worried about how the top of the case is pretty much open for the 200mm fan and how it could be prone to letting water in if I spill a drink on my desk or if a small object (like a screw) falls through, but the amount of air flow with this case is pretty fantastic (fans are on high). In fact, I feel a little chilled from the air rather than feeling the warmth of the airflow on the old case.