By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese sales.... I can see why developers get a little gun shy

tastyshovelware said:
@ fkusumot

Saying wii sports isnt worth $43 isn't bashing. It has the tech of an N64 game with neato controls. Hey, I like the game, I have it, I play it with my family. But $43?

and zelda, mario party, paper mario, and donkey knog were all ports. I say that not because they aren't good (zelda and paper mario are great games) but because people tend to think of nintendo as this amazing force that only makes amazing games and never cuts corners. I'M NOT BASHING NINTNDO. I OWN A WII AND 4 NINTENDO PUBLISHED GAMES. I'M saying the attachment rates in japan are crap. And they are crap. Compare them to the US or anyone else.

I not brushing aside the ds, ive noted it's sales several times, but is in the exception. And ps2 software sales aren't that great either.

And still no one stands up for the psp or ps3. I swear, I feel like everyone over looks the topic and just tries to point me out as an anti wii basher how happens to own a wii. THE TOPIC ISN'T about the wii. IT's ABOUT ATTACHMENT RATES FOR 3 of the 5 major next gen consoles.

Wow. You did it again. Mix. Stir. Rinse. Repeat. Repeat.

What's the rational for only discussing the attach ratios of three of the game machines? Why not all five? 

Around the Network

I don't mention the XBOX360 because it has only sold a half million in japan. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but a good number of its hits aren't made by japanese based developers.

It's best seller, blue dragon, was published by microsoft.

And I give props to the ds but not all companies can live of making ds games all the time. I'm not ignoring the system, I'm just saying there's a bigger problem in japan that extends past the ds.

Why do you expect the buying habits of the Japanese to be exactly like other regions of the world? It's a different culture with different preferences. It always has been and always will be.

:frowns: it's like talking to a wall.

Bad sales are bad sales no matter where in the world you are. Why should japanese based companies risk making games for the wii, psp, and ps3 when so few japan based people buy them.

FishyJoe said:
tastyshovelware said:
@ fishyjoe

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but if you check the game sales totals for japan, you would see that NO third party wii games have sold a half million copies (though dragon warrior is about to)

Yes, I counted dragon quest which is above 499,130, sue me! Mario & Sonic is third party made by Sega.

M&S is published by Nintendo in Japan which makes it second party 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

most of the games that are selling well are the big N's games
like super mario galxy and paper mario and mario party 8
with an exception of one mario and sonic at the olypics

tastyshovelware said:
:frowns: it's like talking to a wall.

Bad sales are bad sales no matter where in the world you are. Why should japanese based companies risk making games for the wii, psp, and ps3 when so few japan based people buy them.

You should try discussing something with CrazzyMan.

And I just don't think you're looking at the big picture. Yeah, the attach rates are low. So what? The systems have been out for a short period of time, which means that the attach rates will be lower. The DS has a 4:1 ratio I think you said. It's been out 3 years or so, so it's going to have a higher attach rate. As for comparing the attach rates compared to America, that's not really fair because I don't think Japanese buy as many games as quickly as we do. It's also important to remember that actual sales are more important than attach rates. Nobody would call DQVIII a flop in Japan when it sold 3.62 million but only had an attach rate of like 18%. This generation is still early, and since the PS3 has underperformed, it's obviously going to have lower total sales compared to the Wii, though not necessarily a lower attach rate.

Answer me this: Which is better, an attach rate of 10% for a game on a console with a userbase of 5 million, or an attach rate of 20% on a console with a userbase of 1.8 million?

Look, this site has masses of historical data for Japan, why not go back and see what the PS2 attach ratio was at the same point in it's life.
*waits*

*waits*

Well wow, see that, it's LESS than the Wii.

^YEA!!!! Pll are writing off Wii as having only been bought by casuals and therefore, the attach ratio will be low. That just proves it wrong!

You place way too much importance on attach rates, these should only be used in 2 scenarios in my opinion, these are:

1. When comparing 2 platforms that have a similar size user base
2. By Fan boys

Japan Sales   (M Total Jpn Mkt           TP Jpn Game sales
Wii             5.2                 67.7%                         2,076,708
X360         0.58                 7.5%                           669433
PS3           1.9                  24.7%                         2083852

These figures show that the PS3 would clearly have a larger attach rate yet the Wii has the vast majority of market share for Japan and is still outselling the other 2 significantly each week. This means a vast majority of third party software would have to be sold each week for the attach rate to stand still yet the install base grows, the total third party game sales will continue to rise and The wii's market share will continue to grow even more.

Looking at these figures it's not unrealistic to say pretty soon Japan will be in a position where the console thats cheaper to develop for is holding it's own in terms of third party japan software sales will maintain a 75% market share and is still growing the fastest by outselling it's competitors on a weekly basis.

Would you really choose any other platform to throw your support behind if you were in charge of allocating a budget for a japanese software project?