By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Giving PS4 and Xbox One a run for their money

You should change the dvd to Bluray for parity since thats what the  consoles  have  ,and it shouldn't cost much more.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

OP updated with a step up build for better performance and looks, also all cost added

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Vashyo said:

You bought overexpensive pc 8 years ago and expect it to run great today? was it ready built or did you build it yourself? Just upgrading ur GPU isn't going to cut it at that point, especially now that developers have to learn splitting tasks on more weaker cores (thanks to consoles), there finally is a reason to own 4-8 core cpu.

I run a 500w PSU with setup that uses more power than his, his PSU should be fine as long as he isnt trying to heavily overclock it. There are some pages that u can use to calculate some estimates based on what ur going to connect onto your computer.

Why exactly do you think that mobo is crappy and will limit the ram, it actually supports 32gb of ram and it says it has 3 years warranty...MSI has been around for a long time, they know their stuff.

Optimization doesnt only exist on consoles, btw. You have to optimize your game for as big of a PC audience as possible otherwise ur doing the same thing Crytek did with Crysis 1. Too powerful stuff for too weak PCs = not selling to maximum potential.

Keep the gradeschool quips out of it, desert punk.

I used a quality case, quality cooling, and quality parts. Yes it was more expensive, but it's also lasted longer than most other rigs have, considering it hasn't been turned off in 8 years. The joke in the OP won't last 5 years. And your recommendation of a 500W no-name power supply is poor advice. I've seen plenty of rigs blow out anything connected to the mobo cuz of insufficient power, and the resulting shorts due to poorly made PSUs.

MSI is a good mobo maker. I know that. My first board was an MSI, and my last one was too MSI KT-9 Pro, a quality good motherboard with the most important factor: "value". However, this is not that board. This is a cheap as possible board, and MSI knows it too.

The kind of rig you're advocating is a fly by the seat of your pants frankenstein with as much spent on the GPU as possible and the bare minimum on everything else, and not including plenty of other things the ps4 or xb1 will come with.

Reading this thread makes me realize I have no clue about pc specs and stuff!

I think I'll just stick to consoles o_O

theprof00 said:
Vashyo said:

You bought overexpensive pc 8 years ago and expect it to run great today? was it ready built or did you build it yourself? Just upgrading ur GPU isn't going to cut it at that point, especially now that developers have to learn splitting tasks on more weaker cores (thanks to consoles), there finally is a reason to own 4-8 core cpu.

I run a 500w PSU with setup that uses more power than his, his PSU should be fine as long as he isnt trying to heavily overclock it. There are some pages that u can use to calculate some estimates based on what ur going to connect onto your computer.

Why exactly do you think that mobo is crappy and will limit the ram, it actually supports 32gb of ram and it says it has 3 years warranty...MSI has been around for a long time, they know their stuff.

Optimization doesnt only exist on consoles, btw. You have to optimize your game for as big of a PC audience as possible otherwise ur doing the same thing Crytek did with Crysis 1. Too powerful stuff for too weak PCs = not selling to maximum potential.

I used a quality case, quality cooling, and quality parts. Yes it was more expensive, but it's also lasted longer than most other rigs have, considering it hasn't been turned off in 8 years. The joke in the OP won't last 5 years. And your recommendation of a 500W no-name power supply is poor advice. I've seen plenty of rigs blow out anything connected to the mobo cuz of insufficient power, and the resulting shorts due to poorly made PSUs.

MSI is a good mobo maker. I know that. My first board was an MSI, and my last one was too MSI KT-9 Pro, a quality good motherboard with the most important factor: "value". However, this is not that board. This is a cheap as possible board, and MSI knows it too.

The kind of rig you're advocating is a fly by the seat of your pants frankenstein with as much spent on the GPU as possible and the bare minimum on everything else, and not including plenty of other things the ps4 or xb1 will come with.

Antec is a very good PSU brand, also consoles have quality issues too. Remember RROD? PS3 Yellow ring?. The build its a good chunk more powerfull than PS4 and way more powerfull than Xbone, so I think it will hold up pretty well. Anyway I added another PSU from Silverstone(hope you like it) on the step up build just to be safer on the power department. Remember you have to add online cost to consoles and games are usually more expensive

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Around the Network
Shido said:
theprof00 said:
Vashyo said:

Antec is a very good PSU brand, also consoles have quality issues too. Remember RROD? PS3 Yellow ring?. The build its a good chunk more powerfull than PS4 and way more powerfull than Xbone, so I think it will hold up pretty well. Anyway I added another PSU from Silverstone(hope you like it) on the step up build just to be safer on the power department. Remember you have to add online cost to consoles and games are usually more expensive

Sorry, I didn't actually look at the PSU brand name, I just looked at the price. 40$ is just very cheap.

I know you can use these parts just fine. I've built computers like these before, but yes, these are pants on head builds. They are not expected to last, just to perform.
A comparison would be the Hollywood portrayal of Russian technology to American. The American one works 50 years later, but the Russian one dies, or you have to hit it with a hammer repeatedly.

Point is, (and factoring in RROD and yellow light) that this is a garage build, and is not meant to last. I'm sure you can agree.

The build is a good one, and I'm surprised you could get it for under the cost of a xb1. We both know it's not ideal, and probably not even of consistent quality as you'd get from the consoles. Maybe in a year we'll see a more appropriate rig. Anyway, good attempt, but not meant for anyone other than a very niche market of computer nerds like myself.

EDIT: Also, you didn't include the free games you'll get with ps+

Lyrikalstylez said:
Reading this thread makes me realize I have no clue about pc specs and stuff!

I think I'll just stick to consoles o_O

It's easier than you think, I just build my PC like 3 months ago without knowing much of tech stuff. You realize how much you can save by doing it yourseft and having fun while doing it(seriouslly). Hope you can do it someday. Overcloking its also very rewarding if you know how to do it safetly

PS Vita and PC gamer

theprof00 said:
Shido said:
theprof00 said:
Vashyo said:

Sorry, I didn't actually look at the PSU brand name, I just looked at the price. 40$ is just very cheap.

I know you can use these parts just fine. I've built computers like these before, but yes, these are pants on head builds. They are not expected to last, just to perform.
A comparison would be the Hollywood portrayal of Russian technology to American. The American one works 50 years later, but the Russian one dies, or you have to hit it with a hammer repeatedly.

Point is, (and factoring in RROD and yellow light) that this is a garage build, and is not meant to last. I'm sure you can agree.

The build is a good one, and I'm surprised you could get it for under the cost of a xb1. We both know it's not ideal, and probably not even of consistent quality as you'd get from the consoles. Maybe in a year we'll see a more appropriate rig. Anyway, good attempt, but not meant for anyone other than a very niche market of computer nerds like myself.

EDIT: Also, you didn't include the free games you'll get with ps+

Thanks for replying. 

Yep I know these arent the ideal parts for doing a PC build to last. Probably its about 150$ more for adding quality stuff(mobo, psu and case mostly).
But like you said this build will probably be just fine, 5 years minimum its almost a fact. Hence there's cheap family computers over 15 years and still working fine(like my family PC lol) but I get you point.

Do you think this build(and step up build) will be left out on the starting line when 4Bone launches? What do you think of it(and step up) performance wise comparing it to the xbox one and PS4?

PS+ Free games added on Extras

PS Vita and PC gamer

theprof00 said:
Vashyo said:

u sure got all aggro on me

You're trying to insert words into my text, I never said the bolded text, actually if you read my earliest post, I told him to specifically look out for low quality PSUs...

my 500w PSU is Corsair model and its been running for over 2 years now without issues.

They even gave this board 3 years warranty, for being a budget board thats pretty much the industry standard and they use same tech on the boards that their flagship setups use, if you ever compared difference between motherboards, the more expensive ones usually come with better overclocking tools/support/capacity and with lot more goodies like additional sata ports and PCI-e slots, etc. So you're just paying for features pretty much, that u won't necessarily even need.

Games only need a strong GPU/memory and adequate CPU. Strategy games though are usually an exception because they have to track much more stuff simulatenously, so stronger and faster CPUs are plain better. His rig is fine for the purpose he's going for and I see no issues with the parts he has chosen.

I would propably get a FX-6300 and AM3+ mobo myself though, it's not that much more expensive and comes with 6 cores and its overall slightly faster. 750k is also on outdated FM2 socket (though the future of AM3+ doesnt really have much planned in either at this point, so future-proofing is uncertain). but overall the differences between CPUs isn't very drastic especially for gaming, unless they're really old/laptop/mobile CPUs.

I feel you have very unreasonable expectations when it comes to PCs, and you're just bashing at this point

@Shido yeah not a bad idea if u want to get bit higher wattage PSU, check reviews before you buy though! PC will last long time if everythings setup correctly and u do regular maintenance on it.

Btw u might want to add steam digital sharing to your list http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/steam-family-sharing/

So that base build will be able to play current games in 8 years?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.