By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Somethings wrong with reviews and Killzone: Mercenary proves it

The Vita has this problem because its selling point was console experience on a handheld. Now every critic out there has been comparing its game to them which does suck a little. But If I remember rightly alot of critics praised LBP vita and some even said it was alot better than any of the console version so sometimes it works in the vitas favor.

Around the Network

If this game was on XBOX it would have at least an 85 from all the 10's Microsoft magazines and sites would have given it. If anything Sony just needs more review sites on Meta critic so that they can keep up with the over inflated reviews most games receive.

kupomogli said:
I just checked out the review scores for MLB 13 The Show on PS3 and Vita. The only difference between the two are graphical capabilities. Worse graphics and a lot of cameras removed, removing how the console game feels like a live baseball game rather than just a video game.

Gamespot scored 85 for PS3 and 70 for Vita. IGN scored 88 for PS3 and 76 for Vita.

The IGN review complains how the game doesn't include cross buy and instead of you can do some cross play between PS3, you can only do homerun derby with the PS3. Sure, the cross buy and cross play thing are crap, but neither devalues the purchase of the Vita game anymore than the PS3 game. You're paying $20 less and you can still play online against other Vita owners.

Exactly, the show is another example, the show is an amazing series, and is easily the best sports game on a handheld, it is actually close to the ps3 version in everyway.  Yet the reviews are drastically different.

theshonen8899 said:
As much as I would love to lash out at reviewers for being too harsh on a handheld game, the truth is that the PS Vita is marketed and targeted towards console-like graphics, fidelity, and content. If Killzone Mercenary isn't as good as Killzone 3 (it isn't), then it will be scored lower than it. And that's exactly what happened. Same things can be said about Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Call of Duty, or the glitchy but otherwise fantastic Assassin's Creed Liberation. PS Vita games are scored against home console games because that's what the PS Vita is capable of.

BS, and hate to break it to you, mercenary is as good as KZ3. Vita should never be comapred toa  dedicated hokme console, you can   play your home console on a bus. No handheld should be judged against a seperate dedicated home console period.

78% seems like a good Killzone score to me. I don't buy into the idea that you should applaud subpar elements or effort just because "hey, it's just a handheld game!". I haven't read loads of reviews but from what I have read snd the very short play time I have had, the controls are kind of assy, there are some technical issues, and the campaign is extremely short.

Around the Network
think-man said:

The Vita has this problem because its selling point was console experience on a handheld. Now every critic out there has been comparing its game to them which does suck a little. But If I remember rightly alot of critics praised LBP vita and some even said it was alot better than any of the console version so sometimes it works in the vitas favor.

They did, and still gave it a lower score than the games it was so much better than, sometimes when the reviewer was the same for both games.

J_Allard said:
78% seems like a good Killzone score to me. I don't buy into the idea that you should applaud subpar elements or effort just because "hey, it's just a handheld game!". I haven't read loads of reviews but from what I have read snd the very short play time I have had, the controls are kind of assy, there are some technical issues, and the campaign is extremely short.

People aren't arguing gameplay.  They're arguing reviewers are judging the Vita's hardware shortcomings as if it should compare to a console title.

I've read reviews stating that the campaign took 6-7 hours.  That's the average for most FPS.

J_Allard said:

Controls are outstanding...................................................., there are no technical issues. Only thing you got right was yes the campaign is short, but so is every console shooter.

Its clear you didnt even read the thread. The issue isn't ignoring it's short comings. The issue is its short comings are no more or less then any console FPS, yet for some reason vita gets rated lower? Ity actually holds up very well to any console fps.

iamdeath said:
J_Allard said:

Controls are outstanding...................................................., there are no technical issues. Only thing you got right was yes the campaign is short, but so is every console shooter.

So you disagree with reviews, cool.

And 3.5-5 hours is short no matter what you wanna compare it to.

J_Allard said:
iamdeath said:
J_Allard said:

So you disagree with reviews, cool.

And 3.5-5 hours is short no matter what you wanna compare it to.

Never saw one review that said the controls were bad and I played it so I know they are not, they are the same as any FPS except the touch controls for secondary functions like switching weapons which works well.

meh, the same happens to 3DS. the west shits on handhelds.