By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Multiplatform vs Exclusive, what will sell more?

BengaBanga said: Exclusives usually sell more than multiplatform games. (in regard to KHIII being Wii exclusive or Wii and PS2)

I happen to disagree wholeheartedly, in today's age, where all 3 console shares the market. Is it possible for an exclusive to sell better than if it's in more than 1 console?

Please reply with "yes" or "no" and then a short few lines explanation your answers. Thanks 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

i think a multiplatform game will sell more then an exclusive.  An exclusive game hits a small user base than if it was multiplatform.  Also i have never seen a person say they were not going to buy a game because it is multiplatform but if it is exclusive thats a lot less people that have a chance to buy the game.

LOL

I´ll repeat my statement: Check the top 50 best selling games and you´ll see only 1 multiplatform game.

Of course it is possible, but in general high quality games (NOT the Need for speeds, Maddens, FIFA´s etc) tend to do better as exclusives.

In general the average multiplatform game will sell better than an exclusive game. Just because all Mario games have been exclusives, and have all sold very well, but that was not because they were exclusive, same with GT, it was because they are very good

>I´ll repeat my statement: Check the top 50 best selling games and you´ll see only 1 multiplatform game.

and I shall repeat myself again, this is a COMPLETELY different age!

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Around the Network

It really depends. But I do think if Smash Brothers Brawl was on all three systems it would sell more. Exclusives have the advantage of getting A LOT of coverage by media outlets. This doesn't tend to happen with multi-plats.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Munkeh111 said:
In general the average multiplatform game will sell better than an exclusive game. Just because all Mario games have been exclusives, and have all sold very well, but that was not because they were exclusive, same with GT, it was because they are very good

It´s the other way around. The best sold games are exclusives because exclusives tend to be better games. Whether you like it or not, Mario games are high quality games, so are FF, GTA and GT.

The games are (partly) so good BECAUSE they are exclusive: devs have to focus on only one platform. 

Multi-platforms usually sell more. Explains y COD4 combined has sold more than SMG

BengaBenga said:
LOL

I´ll repeat my statement: Check the top 50 best selling games and you´ll see only 1 multiplatform game.

Of course it is possible, but in general high quality games (NOT the Need for speeds, Maddens, FIFA´s etc) tend to do better as exclusives.

I think what you said is off a bit.  Is it that high quality games do better as exclusives or is it that the exclusives tend to have a cult following to them.  Something like a mario would suck as multiplatform game because it is Nintendo Icon and the people who want to play mario games get Nintendo consoles.  Also if games that were of such good quality as most of the exclusive are came to more consoles then you would be crazy to believe that more people would not buy them..... 

I do have a question tho.... If a game is not exclusive then it has a different tally for all the different consoles it is on right? So wouldn't the top 50 not be right? You would have to add all the versions together then rank them? or is it done differently?

>But I'm guessing something like FF would.

Just look at FFXII and FFXII (DS). ;)

if FFXIII is multiplatform, it'd sell a bit more, bigger user-base = bigger sales. It's as simple as that.

Sure, it might not be as good (porting is never as good as the original), but we are talking PURELY on sales number here.

selnor
Episode 2: