By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps2-news/4367.html

"With all the talk about hardware price reductions for the PlayStation 3, everyone has sort of forgotten about its predecessor. However, if you don't already own one - or you made the mistake of getting rid of one when purchasing the 40GB PS3, which doesn't support PS2 software - than Target has a great deal coming up.

As you can see by this ad, the retailer will start selling the PS2 for the new low price of $99 on February 24. Now, we have no idea if this is just a Target sale, or if it's actually a permanent price drop. We haven't heard anything from Sony, but then again, the Game Developers Conference hits the week before this new price, so perhaps that's when we'll get the announcement. It's rare to find a sale on game consoles anywhere, so we'd like to assume this new $99 price tag isn't restricted to being a one-time Target sale.

Even though its entering its eighth year of existence, and 120 million people have already purchased the system, sales are still strong for the most popular game console in history. And if it's really dropping to $99 later this month, we should see the final significant sales spike..."

I'm hoping this is a permenant price drop, because then people can't complain as much about the 40GB PS3 having no BC, in the US at least. As the article says, this will probably be the last major sales spike for the PS2.

Around the Network

It's still £110 here, that's $220 FFS! (that's with a game, usually singstar)

Sweet, I know a friend who is looking to get another PS2. I already passed the link to him.

Thanks insomniac17

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Wow ... thats awesome ... now the PS2 will live one more year :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

They should drop it to 80 and see what happens.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

$99 for a PS2 is just too good to pass up for anyone that never owned one! I just hope that it is a WW drop, rather than just the US as i think they get enough love from the big 3 as it is...

^well, it it was a WW drop, then it would be the same price as a GC!

As said previously, the PS2 in the UK is still £100 (roughly $200) so its about time that we got a drop too! Not that it matters for me as i have a 60GB PS3 and also i'm getting sent up the PS2 that i bought my dad for xmas 2years back (slimline) that he never used lol

^y is it still so expensive in the UK? In America, it's 129.99

I wonder what that will do to sales? The Gamecube has been $99 for a long time now, although the PS2 vastly had more games.. We will probably see PS2 outsell the PS3 for a few months at least.