By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think that religion has any place in politics?

Ok many of you Brits would have heard yesterday that we may be accepting sharia (is that the right spelling?) law, a law of Islam.

At this point I thought to myself "why accept any religion into any politic system or law structure" I think that we could field a great set of laws that would not be based on either religion but but keep all religious communities happy.

What do you think? Should politics embrace religious thought or just keep it out?

I have more information on the subject here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,,777972,00.html

*edit* yeah don't bash religion just discuss it

Around the Network

Great, another thread for people to bash religion.

yeah don't bash religion just discuss it

They should be kept completely separate.

PDF said:
Yes Religion has a Place in society!!!

As long as all religions are allowed and it isnt a law dictating what religion you can or cannot practice. We do not want another Catholic Church of the middle ages.

Using Religion as a opinion is no difference that not using religion as a opinion. Some laws are obvious. Do not kill, it has religous and non religous meaning behind it. Some laws are not so simple and do not have a clear answer. Take abortion for example. should it be allowed is no more than opinion. Your opinion should be no more valid than mine if it is coming from religious reasons. Making law for religous reasons is no different than you making law without it. It is all just opinon and mine should be just as good as yours and if mine comes from religion it shouldnt matter.

Did you even read the subject matter at the top?

Around the Network
PDF said:
I meant politics. I have no clue Why I wrote society. If you read the rest of what I said it would be clear that I was talking about laws.

I did, I just thought that you used that in to show your point.

P.S. I'm not trying bash religion, sorry if I'm coming off that way

Well seeing that most laws, morals and ethics have been based around religions. I think it's the basis of our society and still is a good foundation for society (I'm coming from the Christian side as it has the most influence in western society - I'm unsure of their countries and their religions). My view however is based the human voice - freedom to vote, free speech and debate what is right, just and appropriate for the time/age of society.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

No most morals and ethics are not religious based, in fact a glance at the 10 commandments show most are not a part of society, and the ones that are like no killing and no stealing are universal of all cultures be they religious or non religious.

Religion has no place in politics or government

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

highwaystar101 said:

Ok many of you Brits would have heard yesterday that we may be accepting sharia (is that the right spelling?) law, a law of Islam. I was watching the news and the archbishop of canterbury said that he thought it was bad that a Christian country was considering accepting a law of Islam.

At this point I thought to myself "why accept any religion into any politic system or law structure" I think that we could field a great set of laws that would not be based on either religion but but keep all religious communities happy.

What do you think? Should politics embrace religious thought or just keep it out?

I have more information on the subject here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/article/0,,777972,00.html

*edit* yeah don't bash religion just discuss it

The archbishop was the one calling for there to be two sets of laws in the country. One for Muslims and one for everyone else. As such, he is a tool. But it's ok, he can say whatever he wants, no one really cares what he has to say.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23436203-details/Adoption+of+Islamic+Sharia+law+in+Britain+is+'unavoidable',+says+Archbishop+of+Canterbury/article.do

There is no way such a system could ever possibly work. I mean, if you really didn't want to live by the laws of the country. Move to a different country. Everyone in the country should have to live by the same laws. Here we see another example to prove just why religion should be kept out of politics. They just do not mix. Also I would say that most laws, morals and ethics are based around not wanting to harm or injure other members of the same species that belong to the same group i.e. country. Hence countries tend to be a lot more heavy handed when dealing with other countries, i.e. the army, as opposed to the police for inside the country.

Yes

@OP: A loud and resounding NOOOO! NEVER!! We see all the good that leads too...