By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reality really is Wii-biased.

finalsquall said:
VG is Nintendo bias... 1 reason why. Because the Wii is in the lead. Everyone loves backing the leader. I'm sure if Nintendo was losing - VG would be a 360 vs ps3 site - which most sites are. This is the only site I have seen that is not backed by a particular console, that talks about the wii in all it's glory.

I will love it when it changes... and it will; say next yr when it's getting it's little ass kick :D Well I can dream.

^Bolded.

Make up your mind.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Nearly all my friends in Finland are against wii and they think that they're hardcore gamers. They don't really know anything when i ask things about gaming. People in here are often against wii because they say that is only for 8-year olds. (I wrote this from wii)

Please register :)

@naznatips would love to have that good computer with 700 dollars, but even cheapest 8800 GTS 512 Mt, which would be enough for me, comes from Manli (never heard from them) 279 € = 404.9 $ alone, so no need to say how costly everything is here :p

(btw with what resolutions do you play those games ?)

And for sontikka, nice to see more Finnish people here, welcome/tervetuloa.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Punisher said:
@naznatips would love to have that good computer with 700 dollars, but even cheapest 8800 GTS 512 Mt, which would be enough for me, comes from Manli (never heard from them) 279 € = 404.9 $ alone, so no need to say how costly everything is here :p

(btw with what resolutions do you play those games ?)

And for sontikka, nice to see more Finnish people here, welcome/tervetuloa.

I think Naz is a 1680x1050 kind of guy...but don't quote me on that.

The price difference does suck, though it is somewhat due taxes and such.  It also effects consoles as well as PC parts so it makes its impact equally.  If the money is a problem the only thing I can suggest is to try for the 8800 GT 512MB instead.  Its not quite as much  "Oomph" but its damn close and quite a bit cheaper right now.

To Each Man, Responsibility
naznatips said:
ultraslick said:
did anyone listen to the ign gamesages podcast 2. The topic is innovation.

They wait for the main wii editor guy to leave the room, (he gets called out for a meeting or something), then they tear into the wii.

primarily discussing how one of the most anticipated and best games for the console SSBB will not be "innovating" anything. It will be great, but the fact that the game will primarily use the gamecube controller since the motion controlls are not good for that game apparently. brings about the comment from Damon Hatfield, "do you think the wii controller is just a vehicle to get people to buy the console?"

But as it has been stated, it makes perfect sense that if you dont have a $4000 pc, you would own a PS3 or 360. So if you do own a capable gaming pc, then some would dislike the PS3/ 360. (since they can play those games on pc) IMO

--The next statement is one of opinion, and shouldn't be taken as fact--

But Nintendo is not the same at all ... is it. so i could understand how pc gamers would consider representing the console market in their homes with the wii. This way nothing takes away from their gigantic all important extremely expensive gaming computer.

Funny story. My "gigantic all important extremely expensive gaming computer" as you put it cost me a total of $700. It runs every single multiplatform game to date on max settings and 4XAA, with framerates nearly double that of their console counterparts (usually over 50 FPS). This includes CoD4, Bioshock, and The Orange Box.

Now, you probably bought your PS3 at launch right? For the low low price of $600? See, for $100 more, I bought a PC that plays all your games better, and also has all the functions of *gasp* a PC. That's right, I can using amazing technologies like Word Processing and photoshop. Not to mention I pay $10 less than you per game for games that run and look signifficantly better. Crytek says they'll reveal a $600 PC at GDC that can play Crysis on max. How do you justify your console spending when compared to that?

PS: The fact that those losers didn't have the balls to insult the Wii while there was someone in there to defend it really says something about the maturity of IGN's editors.

Wow Naz, you sound like me =P

Always pisses me off when people spout off about how a nice PC rig is $4000 etc...If they actually ever tried to build a PC or even bothered to price the parts online they would quickly find out just how wrong they are. 

Keep on fighting the good fight!

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

You so called PC gamers are slacking! I've got over 48 games installed in my Steam account. Plus I have a bunch of PC games that aren't steam related.

I'm not much of a graphics whore, most likely because I'm also a PC gamer who's been spoiled by great graphics for years. I really don't see the appeal in the 360's and PS3's visual effects. There are games I like on both systems though. I care more about the games then the graphics.

I can't stand playing shooters on a console either. I felt the ruined Jak and Daxter when they added the guns, I loved the first game. It felt like Crash Bandicoot but with better graphics. I never really got into #2 and I haven't played much of #3 because of that.

As you can see the only current gen console I have is a Wii...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Time for a dissenting opinion then.

I am a PC gamer. I am not closed minded, and I do not own a PS360, yet I still find very little of interest with the Wii. I find the casual party games like Wii Sports and Wii Play, which comprise the largest part of the Wii library, to be extremely tedious and primitive. The more sophisticated games, like Nintendo's major first party franchises, may be good, but they are just not my thing. I haven't played Mario Galaxy, but have disliked pretty much every Mario game I have ever played (excluding Kart) and although I can appreciate that Zelda games are quality productions, it is clear that they are aimed primarily at a much younger audience, and I can't stand the way it feels like your hand is being held the whole time, and the inane dialogue is just insufferable (then again, I was a fan of FF7 so that alone is not enough to put me off). It is this obvious focus on young children as the primary market that has always turned me away from Nintendo (even when I was a young child - Sega FTW!)

I think the control scheme is little more than an interesting novelty and that most gamers will eventually tire of it and realise that a traditional gamepad is actually far more practical in most scenarios (although by that time, we may have 1:1 motion controls, which would be a lot more impressive). Waving your arms about to achieve something that could, in most cases, be achieved by pressing a button or using an analogue stick does not seem like progress to me, and I certainly don't find it a more immersive experience. Nintendo's stated intention with the wiimote/nunchuk was to create an input device that even a simpleton could master (they didn't use the word simpleton, obviously) but I prefer games that require a high level of coordination like Tekken or Tony Hawk's (back when it was still good).

I think it is good that Nintendo have split the market and offered more diversity, but I also think that on a comparative basis, the Wii is easily the worst console this generation. I certainly don't hate it, because it is just a piece of electronic equipment and it brings pleasure to a great number of people, but personally I still think it sucks.

So sue me.

On a related note, a PC is certainly much better for FPS and Strategy games and it easily has the most diverse library of games, but there are many genres that are preferable on a console, such as Fighting and Racing games (or pretty much any offline multiplayer). To say that the PS360 has only graphics to offer and is therefore inferior to a PC is unfair. I think PC gaming is better, but for the reasons I have already outlined. As soon as I feel there is enough console-oriented games to justify a purchase, I will pick up a PS3. I think MS are the only company trying to bridge the gap between PC and console, and that is the main reason I would not opt for an Xbox.

@ naznatips
In fairness, you can install linux on a console and perform most basic PC functions like word processing etc. Also, $700 is pretty much the bare minimum you could spend on a PC that will play most games, and 50fps is not nearly twice the framerate of most console games, as they are mostly locked at 60fps. And the multimedia functionality of a PS3 is obviously much better, not only due to the inclusion of Blu-Ray, but also the excellent audio output, DVD upscaling, and the superiority of the cell processor over desktop CPU's when it comes to streaming. You also don't have to build it yourself or deal with the numerous driver issues and other problems that plague Windows PCs. Trying to suggest you get more for your money with a PC, when the PS3 is still selling at a loss just seems a bit far fetched. Still, the suggestion that it costs $4000 for a gaming PC is even more far-fetched. Even in the UK you could probably get away with spending a quarter of that.

@Played_Out

I think you encompassed the feelings of most Wii-Haters on this forum.

Your opinions seem as though you have never actually played the system, and that's all right. I won't flame you for that. You certainly did enough flaming on your own, because as you admit, the games don't suit your tastes.

You marginalized the most adult Nintendo game, The Legend of Zelda, by calling it kiddy, you called motion controls a gimmick. Then, later, you defended the PS3. You also acted like your opinions were the obvious conclusion, I love that word "obvious" just like you, yet you admit to not like Nintendo even when you were young.

You almost had a perfect "unbiased PC gamer post" full of Wii-hate, which no one could retort too. You stated it so well, as if these were generally accpted facts that we should all have realized before. However, you failed yourself.

You said:

...the wiimote/nunchuk was to create an input device that even a simpleton could master

I prefer games that require a high level of coordination like Tekken

personally I still think it sucks.

the control scheme is little more than an interesting novelty and that most gamers will eventually tire of it and realise that a traditional gamepad is actually far more practical

It is this obvious focus on young children as the primary market that has always turned me away from Nintendo (even when I was a young child - Sega FTW!)

What we've come to understand, that though you seem to imply that you are an average PC gamer, instead we see you are far from that. In fact, you are an average PS3 gamer. You like Final Fantasy VII. You never played Nintendo games when you were a kid. Apparently even then, they were too "kiddy" though I fail to see how missing out on Secret of Mana and LttP helped you become a more adult gamer, but I digress.

The fact is, your post is a giant anti-Wii propoganda statement, disguised as a PC gamer. However, in reality, you know little about the Wii or its games, besides the few enough facts you need to flame it and Nintendo. You are actually a PS3 fanboy, pissed off because all of your PC cohorts didn't "do the right thing" and flame the Wii everytime they had the chance.

You still insist that the Wii is a fad, and when people finally "wakeup and realize" that the gamepad is better, it will lose its steam. That's actually quite arrogantly prickish of you, but I'll let it pass. Afterall, the numbers aren't gonna back you up. Let me assure you that not just kids enjoy Zelda, in fact, you can find a lot more kids enjoying your kinds of games, rather than hopping on the Nintendo bandwagon.

Next time you feel the need to give your "dissenting opinion" remember how most respectable posters on this site refrain from doing such everyday, because the best of us try not to flame other systems, like you just did, so thoroughly.

Frankly, a lot of the PS3 owners, such as yourself have what we call "littleman" syndrome. They feel their console is being viewed as insignificant or worse because of sales, and feel the need to flame Nintendo with their opinionsl, simply because its winning. They get excited when negative news about the Wii pops up, and can't wait to post it.

When someone like yourself posts "confessions of a Wii-hater," and flames the Wii to no end, its no better than the average Wii hater flaming the Wii. You tried to hide your biased with words. You're smarter than the average, I'll give you that. However, that still doesn't make your opinions right, nor does it give you any kind of reason to post them when they are not necessary and derogatory about a system for that simple self fufilling purpose, even deep in the lower page of a Wii-Love thread where few are bound to read them. It shows a general lack of disrespect, imo, and I'm sure a lot of posters would think much less of you and your opinion, if given the chance to read your "opinions" you've stated here. I mean, they're not exactly fair to the Wii, or its fans, nor respectful of other posters who attempt NOT to flame systems they dislike, now are they?

You paint the Wii with broad strokes. You obviously know little about the system, nor do you care too. You have foolish age old beliefs that Nintendo is "kiddy" and that Zelda has now and always been "aimed at a younger audience" when in actuality, it's "aimed at its core audience." Believe it or not, not everyone in the world gets off on the next big FPS online mode, or the coolest game available, graphically.

You should see how well I could tear down the PC or the PS3 if I didn't have any moral qualms about it. It's not like they are flawless, and as you well know, a system is only as good as how you can present if. You presented the Wii in a cinical, negative light, where every positive seems to be a negative, even its popularity. That's not very even handed, and I feel your Nintendo hate from "when you were a kid" might be a factor in why you hate all Nintendo products so blindly. I would say "dislike" but its not a strong enough word for how you feel, obviously.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

finalsquall said:
VG is Nintendo bias... 1 reason why. Because the Wii is in the lead. Everyone loves backing the leader. I'm sure if Nintendo was losing - VG would be a 360 vs ps3 site - which most sites are. This is the only site I have seen that is not backed by a particular console, that talks about the wii in all it's glory.

I will love it when it changes... and it will; say next yr when it's getting it's little ass kick :D Well I can dream.

At least you say what's on your mind, unlike most of the others.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I think PC gamers will like the Wii... until a Wii like interface comes out for their computers. 

I mean, that's why PC gamers often don't like consoles.  If the console games came out on PC they would be just as good, if not better as you can buy game pads and use the computers game pad for any game not better with keyboard and mouse.

It'd be the same for Wii i imagine.