By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Wii finally meeting demand?

is it just me, or are people thinking WAY too optimically lately?

Around the Network
___O_o______ said:

Euhm explain please..

___O_o______ thinks the Wii is going to fail and is just a fad

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

HappySqurriel said:

With their fiscal year end for 2007 Nintendo announced that they were planning on shipping 14 Million Wii systems between April 1st 2007 and March 31st 2008; currently Nintendo has sold about 15.5 Million units in that time frame, and with the ammount they are selling per week (currently) they will have sold over 18 Million systems. As much as it is a good thing to outperform your projections it is not a good idea to overshoot them by a wide margin. Nintendo also recently announced that they were planning to increase production in the next fiscal year, and it is likely that many of the factories that are producing the Wii would have downtime in order to retool.

If 1.8 Million units per month of production are going to meet demand year round Nintendo can sell no more than 1.3 Million units per month outside of the holiday season; and in order to have a decent supply for the weeks surrounding big game releases they need to preserve stock when they are not under presure.

On top of all of that, January through March is the slowest time of the year and most consoles sell less than 17% of their yearly stock in that timeframe.

In other words, it is way too premature to claim that Nintendo has met demand when stock is not available in store and Nintendo has a ton of reasons to limit the number of units they're shipping.

Why is it so bad to overshoot your projections by so much?  I mean, I understand it's bad to be off with the numbers...but it means you're doing much better than expected, and stockholders should love that...right?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

konnichiwa said:
Joeron said:
Thanks for the info Etecoon, glad the Wii is still sold out ^_^ in the rest of the world. Where I live it's been reported that the PS3 is the best selling system. Eventhough I find it weird because the 360 and Wii have the biggest shelf space here. (Not counting DS and PS2)
I've seen lots of Wii's in stock where I live (Belgium) except around the holidays. Belgium must be another triangular anomaly besides the Bermuda triangle I guess.

I can only say he is speaking the truth...

Well we know that Europe has been getting a healthy supply for the past few weeks, which is why its leading the sales charts for Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
HappySqurriel said:

With their fiscal year end for 2007 Nintendo announced that they were planning on shipping 14 Million Wii systems between April 1st 2007 and March 31st 2008; currently Nintendo has sold about 15.5 Million units in that time frame, and with the ammount they are selling per week (currently) they will have sold over 18 Million systems. As much as it is a good thing to outperform your projections it is not a good idea to overshoot them by a wide margin. Nintendo also recently announced that they were planning to increase production in the next fiscal year, and it is likely that many of the factories that are producing the Wii would have downtime in order to retool.

If 1.8 Million units per month of production are going to meet demand year round Nintendo can sell no more than 1.3 Million units per month outside of the holiday season; and in order to have a decent supply for the weeks surrounding big game releases they need to preserve stock when they are not under presure.

On top of all of that, January through March is the slowest time of the year and most consoles sell less than 17% of their yearly stock in that timeframe.

In other words, it is way too premature to claim that Nintendo has met demand when stock is not available in store and Nintendo has a ton of reasons to limit the number of units they're shipping.

Why is it so bad to overshoot your projections by so much?  I mean, I understand it's bad to be off with the numbers...but it means you're doing much better than expected, and stockholders should love that...right?

It could mean that you stated a low number intentionally, or that you were too cautious

___O_o______ said:

Come up with some sort of anti-Wii bet. What are you thinking? I might take you up on it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.