By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Wii finally meeting demand?

I was looking at the Hardware weekly sales and noticed that the past 4weeks, Nintendo didn't sell 1.8 million Wii's. Currently the Wii is selling 340k last week. To meet demand they should be selling 600k 450k Wii units per week if they produce 1.8 million Wii's a month. Apparently a big part of the January shipment has been shipped into last year to cover the Holiday demand.

Is Nintendo meeting demand or will we see 600k 450k Worldwide sales soon? Could they be stockpiling for big releases and Holidays already?

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39117&end=39481 

Around the Network

Well depends on how much they had for the last four weeks, did they actually ship 1.8 million or was it closer to 1.3-1.4 million, judging by the lacks of Wii's in NA, i'd say its likely the latter

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Probably stockpiling for Brawl and especially Wii fit

Guess you are right Avinash, Februari sales should be much higher I guess. A quick estimate says they sold like over a million last Januari. The graph is also showing an upwards trend after the big Holiday drop off. I think 450k should become the new norm for Wii weekly sales.

Edit: sorry for the small calculation error. Does anyone think they should up production to 600k/week though.

I think this thread pops up every other day.

Just because the numbers are down....or don't equal 1.8 million....people suspect that the Wii has stopped selling. This has been going on since it launched in November of 06. Ask any regulars and they will confirm this. The Wii has only ever met demand in Japan....and that was for a very short-lived period.

Joeron...are you seeing any Wiis on shelves where you live? If you are...are they always there....or do you often see empty space where they are supposed to be?

These are the questions you must ask yourself first before making a thread like this. I assume that since you have made this thread that they are indeed in plentiful stock where you live. The next question you have to ask yourself is is my location an anomaly.

I'll give you your first bit of data....Central Coast, California.....0 Wiis. Demand exceeds supply.

Around the Network

Ya, they are stockpiling for Brawl, Wiis are no where to be found where I live.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Wii is sold out everywhere. Ninty is saving up for China launch and US SSBB launch

Thanks for the info Etecoon, glad the Wii is still sold out ^_^ in the rest of the world. Where I live it's been reported that the PS3 is the best selling system. Eventhough I find it weird because the 360 and Wii have the biggest shelf space here. (Not counting DS and PS2)
I've seen lots of Wii's in stock where I live (Belgium) except around the holidays. Belgium must be another triangular anomaly besides the Bermuda triangle I guess.

Well VGC has Wii beating the PS3 in other Europe, although its possible Belgium is one of the exceptions

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I do not think the Wii will ever meet demand. They have to many people who want to buy it and I do not mean just gamers. I mean people at hospitals, gyms and other places. Also people all over the world want to buy it unlike the xbox360