By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Penello specifies why X1vsPS4 performance difference is overstated

Legend11 said:
Xenostar said:
Subie_Greg said:
PS4 is more powerful. Both on paper and in actual real world performance. Yes you can optimize on the Xbox One. But you can also do so on Ps4 (just pointing that out because Xbots now keep bringing that up for some reason)

Mutliplatform games will look the same as far as the eye test goes. So what difference will it make.

But PS4 is more powerful and you can twist and spin shit to mean whatever you like. Go ahead and add 8GB of ram with esram and times that by the month Xbox One comes out and yada yada so on and so forth. Whatever makes you feel better about the product you want to buy

I do enjoy reading the threads of Xbox One is almost as powerful = just as powerful = you should buy Xbox One haha.

Totally now if they could say "its almost as powerfull" and follow up with "and its alot cheaper" then that would make sence, but its way more expensive, its just a crazy place to start trying to win people over from. 

You would sell a car by going its almost as fast as Car X and we will only charge you more money for it!

It has a lot more features and they really are different beasts in that regard.  For example if you took a PS4 out of the box and hooked it up and then said "PS4 on" what would happen?  What about if you wanted to talk to someone on your friends list, would saying "PS4 skype Iluvyermom" to your PS4 open a window and contact your friend?  What about if you wanted to exercise with a game would a PS4 version be able to tell you which muscles are currently being stressed or tell what your heart rate currently is by looking at you?  There are many things the Xbox One can do that the PS4 simply can't so it's not as simple as saying one is better because neither one is better at everything.

RIP ps3, xbox360.

welcome home ps4 and X1

Around the Network

Dude, the whole time I tought you were joking and I even laughed. Until I've red the last sentence...lol. What does it have to do with raw power of the console? The day I buy an XboxOne is when it price drop a lot because they allow me not to buy a useless (for me) device that will check on my heart beat and muscle. That Day the Xbox will be at around 200$ and worth it. I want to game, that's all I want when buying a console.

RIP ps3, xbox360.

welcome home ps4 and X1

DJEVOLVE said:
Xenostar said:
For someone that says specs dont matter, hes so desperate to prove that its almost equal in power.

My god, give it a break.

No you give it a break.  It has been clear from the start to anyone with any hardware knowledge that the X1 is much weaker than the PS4.  I am tired of this BS MS keeps spouting...

Captain_Tom said:

No you give it a break.  It has been clear from the start to anyone with any hardware knowledge that the X1 is much weaker than the PS4.  I am tired of this BS MS keeps spouting...

I keep seeing this, when it's clearly not true.

I don't see where microsoft is saying the xone is more powerful, all Microsoft is saying is the the PS4 is not the claimed 30% or more faster than people are saying.

In the end it does not matter if the PS4 is 2x more powerful than the xone, PS4 will not get all those sweet exclusives.

Forza, Ryse, Titan Fall and a zillion more exclusives. I love Microsoft.  :)

Around the Network
Jega said:

I don't see where microsoft is saying the xone is more powerful, all Microsoft is saying is the the PS4 is not the claimed 30% or more faster than people are saying.

In the end it does not matter if the PS4 is 2x more powerful than the xone, PS4 will not get all those sweet exclusives.

Good because that is how much more powerful it is...

Here is what I believe. The PS2 was a nightmare to code for and the UI was basically, nada. The Xbox, on the other hand, was easy to code for and had a dashboard, friends list, voice messaging, XBL, HDD, customized sound tracks during games etc. The PS3 was a nightmare to code for and the UI was very poor due to Sony not giving the machine enough OS ram. The Xbox 360, well, you get where I'm going.

I think the Xbone will have a better UI and it will run smoother because MS has been creating software since most of you weren't even alive. Sony's strength has never been software and I doubt it ever will. That doesn't mean PS4 won't have the best games etc, but if you're looking for quick and efficient apps, UI performance and integration across all things (smart phones, internet etc), you will want to own an Xbone.

Captain_Tom said:
Jega said:

Oh you got me there. DAMMIT! I feel really owned.

SARCASM! :)

Jega said:
Captain_Tom said:
Jega said:

Oh you got me there. DAMMIT! I feel really owned.

SARCASM! :)

I know you disagree with me (and reality), but your response did make me laugh...  :)

Zappykins said:
petalpusher said:
Zappykins said:

There is so much more that 7950 has better.  So it should have a higher performance.  But even with all those advantages, it just over doubles performance, even with nearly three times the CU Cores.  It should be much higher. 

oh it works with the HD 7850 vs HD 7770 too (the HD 7770 still have way higher clock). I just took the extreme example that produces a 100% increase in performance with CU running at way lower clock. In fact it works with every gpu in GCN architecture, if you scale up the CU count, it performs better not on paper but in real world performance, and on the contrary, i would add, it just continue to scale up really well if you have more BW and ROPs in conjonction, just like the PS4 have. Between 7770/7790 and 7850/7870 there s a significant gap, it's a  50% real world performance difference, sometimes even more.

So try to spin the CU advantage over frequency or inefficiency, is just ridiculous.

And lets keep in mind the PS4's GPU have 18 CU, not 16 like the HD 7850, also more TMUs (+4), and more bandwidth than a HD 7870 (145 vs 176 GB/s),  ACEs customizations,..

Just a few days ago, we were debating the funny assumption that the X1 would get a 4.8 Tflops stacked "dgpu" (that was good laugh), now we re back to hd 7770/7790 level that would magically perform better than gpus with 50% more CUs and 100% more ROPs.

Xbox extremists always deliver in hardware discussions.

I completely agree with the highlighted part, but have you read what you are saying?  You say it doesn't work and doesn't matter, but then it magically matters on the PS4.

The 7790 has nearly three times the CU's of the 7950, yet is barely twice as powerful.  So CU's don't make the significant change would would expect on the 7950.  Why does it matter on the GPU cards but not on consoles?  Isn't that what you are saying or do you mean something different.  Not trying to be hostile, just seems contradictory. 

What exactly doesn't work ?

The 7790 has 14 CU (2 more than the X1) and runs at 1000 mhz, while the 7950 has 28 CU and was running at 800 mhz when it was introduced (the latest version runs at 850 mhz on reference cards), but anyway, to me 14 vs 28 CU is two times, right ?

And it performs accordingly to that, more or less two times the performance.

The big picture of the GCN 7th gen is quite clear :

PS4 is between 7850 (16 CU) and 7870 (20 CU) with 18 CU,  the X1 is between the HD7790 (14 CU) and 7770 (10 CU) with 12 CU. The HD 7970 chip is a huge GPU that would have produced 600$ console again and this gpu was too big to make it in a single SOC, the gpu die alone is the same size than the whole X1 system (cpu/esram/gpu and every dedicted hardware silicon) and probably the PS4 SOC too.

It's an efficient architecture, proven one, that does scale VERY well and when you look at performance/watt ratio, the Pitcairns (7850/7870) always have been considered as the best setup, it's the sweet spot of this architecture in efficiency per watt (having 32 ROPs like the HD 7950/7970 is a winner, not because of 50% more CUs). So in fact it doesn't work like in Penello's FUD. The new hd 7790 is really good too on performance/watt, because it is capable of doing 2 triangle/cycle unlike the HD 7770 who was lacking a bit in perf/watt, so im not saying the X1 is not effective, just that having 18 CU is equally effective. There s no inherent loss because there s more CU, and the guy from ars technica debunks that too. That's what forums are for as well, discuss what's information and what's FUD. 

ps: (my english sounds like a wrecked train sometimes (most of the time) because im french :D)