By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U "Price Cut" Will Have Little Effect! Also, Will You Buy One Now!? <(o_O<)

After the price cut, will you buy Wii U?

Heck yeah!!! 197 60.62%

Naw mawn... 128 39.38%

Total:325

There should be Black Friday deals for a $250 Wii U. I don't have much doubt about it, just keep your eyes peeled for sales.

Around the Network

I'm gonna buy one, but not exactly now, I'm waiting til Christmas... It's a great deal to me! And I really want New Super Luigi, DKC and Pikmin day one!

pezus said:
Cheebee said:
mii-gamer said:
it was the value difference between the basic and premium that stopped consumer buying the basic over the premium. With the premium now $300 packed in with a game and 32gb - it is a better proposition. Anyway price cut won't mean shit without games - so the holiday season lineup and Mario kart 8 is important

This, also coupled with the fact that Wii U is now 100 Dollars/Euros cheaper than its nearest next-gen rival, PS4, and 200 cheaper than X1.

Also, it's not 300 but 299. Which is a psychological thing, making it seem cheaper.

It launched at 299...

Did you overlook the post I quoted in the first place?

Besides, most people who got a Wii U got a Deluxe $350 bundle; even Nintendo themselves stated that demand for that bundle was far greater than the Basic $299 one, far moreso than they anticipated. Obviously, the people who did want to buy a Wii U saw more value in the Deluxe bundle. Hence Nintendo now dropping the $299 Basic and replacing it with a Deluxe. So now people get a pack-in game, a bunch of accessories, and 10% off digital games, plus 4x the internal memory, but the price stays the same. That's a pretty nice improvement and additional value, and people will understand this (Nintendo will make sure of that, too), whether internet forum people agree ot not.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

I'm kinda tired of the "it doesn't have games" stuff.

It's now getting a price cut and has gotten New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, and Zelda: Wind Waker HD (bundled no less) are just released or in the process of releasing in the next few days.

"The drought" thing isn't an excuse anymore IMO. There is plenty to play now when you add in Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Black Ops 2, LEGO City, Monster Hunter Tri G, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Assassin's Creed 3, Game & Wario, Zombi U, and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

There's isn't a lack of content for anyone buying a Wii U from here on out, unless you can play like 10 games in one month's time before Sonic Lost Worlds and Batman: Arkham Origins comes out and then you have Watch Dogs, CoD Ghosts, and Mario 3D World in November.

The system needs to start showing real improvement now.

The only problem with ur lists are that a sizeable chunk of them are on other consoles with much larger install bases. Rayman, Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Sonic Racing are on PS360 which have sold over 150m so it only makes sense that those games dont push hardware. Monster Hunter is a 3 year old port thats also on 3DS, which has 10x the install base. Those are all great games to own if u already have a Wii U but there not going to make people go out a buy a Wii U if u already have a PS3/360/3DS.

U need to stop being so literal, of course people dont mean it has 0 games, they mean it lacks software that will make u go out a buy a new $300+ console. For the first 8 months the only titles that could possibly fit that title for most were Nintendo Land & NSMBU. Pikmin, Lego City, Game & Wario are nice little support titles that can push hardware for a couple weeks but arent from huge selling mainstream series. This holiday has 3D Mario, DKC which are known to be strong system selling franchises and Wii Party/Fit which will show us how popular the Wii brand games still are. On top of that are a bunch of support titles, price cut and new bundles.

Im a diehard Nintendo fan but outside of Pikmin, there isnt any must have games for me personally until Oct/Nov so it only makes sense to wait for black friday sales. I have a feeling alot of people feel the same way and we will see sales improve greatly over the holidays. 

I still think it's a BS excuse. Nintendo designed the Wii U to get PS3/360 ports as a big part of the strategy behind the console. Call of Duty? Check that box, right Reggie? There aren't going to be many exclusives for the Wii U from third parties (or any console), that's simply the reality of the situation.

The PS4/XB1 have plenty of 360/PS3 multi-plats too and they are a major part of the lineup. If a game is releasing day and date on the Wii U with other console versions, it's a perfectly good game. I'm not including old ports like Mass Effect 3 or Need for Speed, but there's no reason Wii U owners should shun Splinter Cell: Blacklist or Rayman simply because they are on other consoles, they even use the gamepad better than most Nintendo games.

The system has games now. Plenty of them considering it's a 9 month old console, I'd argue it's library through its first September is better than the Wii in overall quality (far more games with a Metacritic of around 80 or better) and that so called drought is most definitely over. There are even really a fair number of games that show off the gamepad now too -- Nintendo Land, Zombi U, Game & Wario, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, all make fairly good use of it, if this is an idea that Nintendo's hung their hat on, then people should be responding to it by now. Mario Kart/Mario 3D World barely use the controller.

The best third party game the Wii had at this point was Resident Evil 4 which was a port of a 2 year old game that had already been on two other systems.

If the logic behind the console is that people will buy it strictly for a handful of old Nintendo IP, then you might as well just call it a GameCube and be done with it.

Rayman sold just as well as the PS360 versions, Splinter Cell and Disney Infinity sold decent for its install base. Those arent the type of games people go out and buy a new system for, they are games u buy if u already have that system, support titles. People will buy Wii U for the big exclusive franchises and the 3rd party multiplats will be purchased afterwards.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

I'm kinda tired of the "it doesn't have games" stuff.

It's now getting a price cut and has gotten New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, and Zelda: Wind Waker HD (bundled no less) are just released or in the process of releasing in the next few days.

"The drought" thing isn't an excuse anymore IMO. There is plenty to play now when you add in Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Black Ops 2, LEGO City, Monster Hunter Tri G, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Assassin's Creed 3, Game & Wario, Zombi U, and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

There's isn't a lack of content for anyone buying a Wii U from here on out, unless you can play like 10 games in one month's time before Sonic Lost Worlds and Batman: Arkham Origins comes out and then you have Watch Dogs, CoD Ghosts, and Mario 3D World in November.

The system needs to start showing real improvement now.

The only problem with ur lists are that a sizeable chunk of them are on other consoles with much larger install bases. Rayman, Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Sonic Racing are on PS360 which have sold over 150m so it only makes sense that those games dont push hardware. Monster Hunter is a 3 year old port thats also on 3DS, which has 10x the install base. Those are all great games to own if u already have a Wii U but there not going to make people go out a buy a Wii U if u already have a PS3/360/3DS.

U need to stop being so literal, of course people dont mean it has 0 games, they mean it lacks software that will make u go out a buy a new $300+ console. For the first 8 months the only titles that could possibly fit that title for most were Nintendo Land & NSMBU. Pikmin, Lego City, Game & Wario are nice little support titles that can push hardware for a couple weeks but arent from huge selling mainstream series. This holiday has 3D Mario, DKC which are known to be strong system selling franchises and Wii Party/Fit which will show us how popular the Wii brand games still are. On top of that are a bunch of support titles, price cut and new bundles.

Im a diehard Nintendo fan but outside of Pikmin, there isnt any must have games for me personally until Oct/Nov so it only makes sense to wait for black friday sales. I have a feeling alot of people feel the same way and we will see sales improve greatly over the holidays. 

I still think it's a BS excuse. Nintendo designed the Wii U to get PS3/360 ports as a big part of the strategy behind the console. Call of Duty? Check that box, right Reggie? There aren't going to be many exclusives for the Wii U from third parties (or any console), that's simply the reality of the situation.

The PS4/XB1 have plenty of 360/PS3 multi-plats too and they are a major part of the lineup. If a game is releasing day and date on the Wii U with other console versions, it's a perfectly good game. I'm not including old ports like Mass Effect 3 or Need for Speed, but there's no reason Wii U owners should shun Splinter Cell: Blacklist or Rayman simply because they are on other consoles, they even use the gamepad better than most Nintendo games.

The system has games now. Plenty of them considering it's a 9 month old console, I'd argue it's library through its first September is better than the Wii in overall quality (far more games with a Metacritic of around 80 or better) and that so called drought is most definitely over. There are even really a fair number of games that show off the gamepad now too -- Nintendo Land, Zombi U, Game & Wario, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, all make fairly good use of it, if this is an idea that Nintendo's hung their hat on, then people should be responding to it by now. Mario Kart/Mario 3D World barely use the controller.

The best third party game the Wii had at this point was Resident Evil 4 which was a port of a 2 year old game that had already been on two other systems.

If the logic behind the console is that people will buy it strictly for a handful of old Nintendo IP, then you might as well just call it a GameCube and be done with it.

Rayman sold just as well as the PS360 versions, Splinter Cell and Disney Infinity sold decent for its install base. Those arent the type of games people go out and buy a new system for, they are games u buy if u already have that system, support titles. People will buy Wii U for the big exclusive franchises and the 3rd party multiplats will be purchased afterwards.

To me it seems the goal posts keep moving. The Wii U would've sold fine if it had Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 and Rayman released last spring, because obviously "it just needed games". But now that those games are out "no one would buy a Wii U just for that". But people will buy the console for X and Bayonetta 2 (never mind that those games will probably struggle to sell what Pikmin 3 sells LTD).

Nintendo fans gripe about third party support, but then when there are good third party games released like Splinter Cell, that even utilize the game pad well, the line becomes "well no one is going to buy a Wii U for a game on the PS3/360".

Basically what the arguement really is boiling down to is that the entire platform basically hinges on four games -- Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash Brothers, and Donkey Kong Country. Which is basically the GameCube model (at least the GameCube had Resident Evil exclusivity for a while). I wouldn't be surprised if Mario 3D World is more the equivalent of Mario Sunshine too -- a good game that sells 5-6 million, but ultimately is not the Mario 64/Galaxy type of mind blowing Mario that most fans wanted.

Around the Network

No I'm not really interested because why waste $300 for a console that only plays a handful of Nintendo exclusives?

To me its material waste, people really only need one console and it shouldn't be Nintendo's because they don't have any third party software. And we will see some awesome third party software hit PS4/XB1 in this upcoming cycle.

Nintendo fans will really miss out if they only purchase the Wii U.

I also don't like the controller, it's very gimmickey and offers no real value. It looks uncomfortable to use in the long run.

I am only marginally interested in WW HD, and only because I played it on the GameCube. At this point I might consider it a buy at the 100-200 dollar level.

pezus said:

Mostly, yes. But that's because you said "coupled with", which implies it adds something that the other post didn't mention. I was replying to your "coupling". Basically, the post you quoted does hold some truth but what you added is irrelevant since it was always available for $299. Basically, the psychology is still the same.

BTW, how will Nintendo make sure that people will understand this? They didn't make sure with the WiiU in general so far, so why now?

Yeah, and Vita's been discounted by tons of retailers to sub-$200 prices for a while now, 'cos it's been selling so horribly, so I guess its recent pricecut doesn't change anything either because it's been available at its 'new' retail price for ages.

See how that works?

And yes sure, if you honestly believe they're not going to market the Wii U at all, then by all means, keep at it. XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

reggin_bolas said:
No I'm not really interested because why waste $300 for a console that only plays a handful of Nintendo exclusives?

To me its material waste, people really only need one console and it shouldn't be Nintendo's because they don't have any third party software. And we will see some awesome third party software hit PS4/XB1 in this upcoming cycle.

I also don't like the controller, it's very gimmickey and offers no real value. It looks uncomfortable to use in the long run.

I am only marginally interested in WW HD, and only because I played it on the GameCube. At this point I might consider it a buy at the 100-200 dollar level.

Says you.  Nintendo fans (assuming they are fans) won't miss out on anything if they only have a Wii U.  I'm satisfied with just Nintendo for life.  The third party titles that they are getting (even if they are just a few) are a bonus!

1doesnotsimply

pezus said:

Mostly, yes. But that's because you said "coupled with", which implies it adds something that the other post didn't mention. I was replying to your "coupling". Basically, the post you quoted does hold some truth but what you added is irrelevant since it was always available for $299. Basically, the psychology is still the same.

BTW, how will Nintendo make sure that people will understand this? They didn't make sure with the WiiU in general so far, so why now?

Nintendo should follow the same marketing strategy as the 3ds after the price cut (focusing less on glassess free 3d) - market the game and not the console. Sure throw in the price of the console at the end but focus on the game

reggin_bolas said:

Please don't!  Think of the planet!!!