By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS vs. Vita. Comparison(opinion) and Buyer's Guide.

Which do you think is better?

Vita 78 32.77%

PSX 12 5.04%

PS2 24 10.08%

PS3 34 14.29%

360 8 3.36%

Genesis 14 5.88%

Saturn 9 3.78%

Dreamcast 27 11.34%

Atari 2600 13 5.46%

Not a Nintendo console. 19 7.98%

Total:238
pokoko said:
kupomogli said:

So those that have a problem with me listing my opinion towards the games, would it be better if the game list was just this?

What about Sports other than Racing?

I actually didn't think of those.  I've only played MLB 13 The Show, so every other game in the list would be something I haven't played.  Wouldn't be able to make a comparison.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
MDMAlliance said:
pokoko said:

I'm not quite sure I understand.  Are ports automatically bad?

I think the point is that including ports of games in a Buyer's Guide makes little sense if you can play it elsewhere.

I'm sorry, but that's a flawed argument.  You can't assume that a person has another system and, even if you could, you can't assume that they would buy it on that other system.  If the comparison is handhelds, then other versions on home consoles are irrelevant.  I've never played Persona 4 until I bought it on the Vita.  Even if I had, the Vita version is superior, as is Muramasa Rebirth or the Vita version of DoA.

But you can't deny the fact that trying to convince someone to buy a certain platform with ports vs exclusives (or a cheaper original), the ports don't usually win out... even if it is a better game.  The thing is that the arguments for including ports is too case-by-case.

Mr Khan said:

No, but i should say that they are inherently inferior to original content, if they have to be compared head to head.

On their own merits, those games would about match (though when your list has to include two ateliers. Ehh...)

I agree that it's skewed, though not worth discarding out of hand, and he would better help his case to make such concessions.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that.  If I've never played Muramasa before, as an example, I'm not going to have less fun with it just because it was on the Wii previously.

pokoko said:
Mr Khan said:

No, but i should say that they are inherently inferior to original content, if they have to be compared head to head.

On their own merits, those games would about match (though when your list has to include two ateliers. Ehh...)

I agree that it's skewed, though not worth discarding out of hand, and he would better help his case to make such concessions.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that.  If I've never played Muramasa before, as an example, I'm not going to have less fun with it just because it was on the Wii previously.

I'm not saying it makes the console less worth buying, but when you're pitting libraries head to head, original beats port. That is the purpose of this thread

i've certainly profited from the parade of Wii U ports (one of which for a game i already bought and played 3 years ago anyway, and bought and replayed even longer this time <_>), but if the only games in a genre on your console are ports, and the competitor has original titles, the competitor has the better selection.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I will admit that, other than Mortal Kombat, I didn't play any of the Vita ports I listed on the Vita itself, but a good game is a good game is a good game. Being ports though doesn't mean that these games don't exist in the Vita's library, and being a port doesn't detract from being a good game or not.

The only difference is will I buy the port again if I already own it on another console? If I don't own it, then sure. If I do own it, then I more than likely won't. I'll purchase Dragon's Crown and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 once they're $20 as I liked them enough to feel it's a worthy investment.  I've already purchased Persona 4 The Golden, just haven't played the Vita version.

All games in a consoles library are worth being listed, regardless how many times it's been ported or not.

The main point of this thread is to point out that the Vita, ports or not, does have good games in comparison to the 3DS.  Overall better games.

Around the Network

"3DS - Super Street Fighter 4, and Dead or Alive Dimensions.

Vita - Street Fighter x Tekken, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Blaz Blue Continuum Shift Extend, and Dead or Alive 5 Plus."

you can add blazblue continuum shift II and Tekken Prime Edition to the list of 3ds games.

For an opinion piece, the original post was a good read. I disagree with many points, but I also understand them.

Kaizar said:
JoeTheBro said:
Kaizar said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising is more then 150 million polygons. The Vita could never do that many.

Even Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is more then 150 polygons.

Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM11

The ARM11 CPU has 4 different names for its cores because there are 4 of them, and it focuses really heavily on synthesis which gives it an advantage over all other 4-core 1 GHz CPU in exchange of not being usable on non-Nintendo devices. And has redesign pipelines target up to 1 GHz which most sources back up these days, and growing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICA200

PICA200 (2006) has always been 400 MHz max clock frequency which drains 0.5 Hz to 1.0 Hz of power and does 160Mtriangle/s (160 million polygons) which most sources on the Internet back up these days and growing.

Source for KI and Donkey Kong, not a generic wiki page about the CPU.

Kaizar said:

You suppose to go by exclusives first, and then mention only the superior ports.

The 3DS version of Sonic Racing Transformed runs at 60 fps after you play the game for 1 or so hours with the current firmware (6.2.0-12)

The 3DS version of Ridge Racer is also far superior compare to the Vita version.

This was suppose to be a full comparison showing the important stuff only like Persona 4 Vita. But it ended being about buying a Vita for the same reasons you should buy a PSP.

Just, no. Do you just make this up as you go?

You missed Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and FF: Theatrhythm, and you pretty much dismissed the entire DS library. Needless to say, you're on the list.

I feel like the action adventure, and 3D platformer sections are way off. I suppose that's opinion, but you listed 4 mediocre games, and said they beat one amazing game and some decent games. (Yeah, I played gravity rush)

Shooters is fine I guess, but you haven't played all of Killzone, unit 13 is shite, and uncharted is pretty good. But Star Fox, Revelations and Uprising I feel easily trump those games. Killzone isn't out so it might be amazing, but reviews say otherwise.

You're RPG section makes me lol, 3DS is really dominating there with tons of original fantastic content, vs ps2 ports and mehware.

Your adventure section though, that's utter BS. Ragnarok and soul sacrifice are generally considered B tier games. Ragnarok and Soul Sacrifice are both just inferior monhun as far as I can tell, and metal gear solid collection is meh. Luigi's Mansion and Animal crossing are better than all the games on the Vita section of this, and then we have Mon hun, etc. This is laughable.