By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Oh yes...I also hated the Clank parts...In fact I never liked them...

Around the Network

Overall I give this game a 9/10. It is a bit on the easy side especially when you upgrade all your weapons and acquire the kick ass Rhyno IV. I finished the game twice and generally I think they balanced the game fairly well between the shooting and platforming aspects.

I gotta say though Rocketpig you do bring up good points although I do think the game has more replay value. I would recommend this game to anyone and probably even more so to wii owners as they love fun games. And the fact that this game runs at 720p at 60fps doesn't hurt either :)

I would say 9/10

Having never really played a Ratchet before (but watched my brother play much of 3 and played a demo of 2) I found it quite fresh, especially as the only platformers I have played have been Jak games, at the moment Wii appears to be the best console for platformers, but I did really enjoy the gun play. I did not have problems with the reticule, since most of the time I fired without aiming properly, but still did the job. I did not really get bored of it at all until completeting it twice, but same with others, the space levels were a bit rubish, although I did play through one of the free roaming ones in an earlier Ratchet, and I though it was really good. I did not particually enjoy the clank sections but they did break it up a bit. The weapons were inventive and interesting, although the Alpha cannon (and then ryno) could basically destroy everything.

Oh, the space sequences aren't that bad. They're a tongue-in-cheek throwback to old-school 2D games, and the fixed camera position means the Y-axis shouldn't be a problem. Just keep circling around the screen slowly, take potshots when you can, and you get through easily. The mini-balance games were tolerable, only a couple were annoying.

I understand your critique of the platforming, but I don't think this is Insomniac's fault. Platforming had its heyday earlier in the console era, but videogaming today is much more broad-based. A pure platformer simply wouldn't sell enough copies to pay the bills, and Insomniac knows this. I think they needed an entree game to popularize the Ratchet/Clank universe to a broad audience, and will release more platform-oriented games once the install base increases.

Personally, I found the platforming and game elements mostly fun, the only thing a bit lacking was storyline and characterization -- Ratchet is still very much an adolescent figure who doesn't really undergo any changes, and this undercuts the epic feel Insomniac was aiming for.

That said, unlockables abound, and some moments - e.g. Qwark's narration during the tournament - border on genius. It's a title well worth owning, though if you're looking for more of a pure platformer, it's more of a rental.

My comment:

I liked the wandering and searching, because it often rewarded you.

Although that was a mixed bag, sometimes you would wander into an area that while hidden, was just not open yet due to story, so you'd have snuck and jumped around 4 corners only to be rewarded with a nonsensical glass wall.

The few times that happened took the joy out of all the others. Finding nothing is better than finding an area that is nonsensically closed. No "You need a different tool" warning either.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

I liked the space sequences, just not the damned bonus targets... those took forever to get. As far as shooting and platforming, I liked those too, though the platforming was a bit lacking.

Of course, like all the Ratchet and Clank games, the best part was easily the comedy. I love all the little jokes and puns Insomniac throws in, its a wonderful thing to be able to laugh at comedy in a video game, and its a nice break from more action-oriented games.

Thanks for the REview.
I really enjoyed the ps2 version
and i'm sure to enjoy the ps3 one too

The game looks fun.

Best game on the PS3 so far, in my opinion.

The average reviewer rating is 88.6% to whoever was saying this review is in line with others. Whoever has played former R&C games knows they never were pure platformers. This series has always been an action/shooter/platformer mashup. I thought the least interesting parts were the platforming ones (too easy, laid back) and the best parts were the parts with a lot of enemies to fight (action). Of course the best things in the game, like other R&C games, are the gadgets/weapons (dozens of them). 9.5 from me and much better than Uncharted which got better reviews and more attention. Edit: forgot to mention, I still think this is the best looking console game out there.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I played it in SD I would agree with the 7.5, but in HD its a different situation, it actually makes it seem like a much "funner" game.

I would say its better than call of duty 4, and give it as much as a 9.5/10.

In SD it looks dark and dull, HD it looks amazing. Best ratchet of them all in my opinion.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M