By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii Party U be a bigger smash hit than Pikmin 3 has been?

i would think so, and if it doesnt then something is really wrong. Really I think it should help. I honestly dont see Mario Kart 8 and especially the new Super Smash Bros. for WIi U doing THAT much for WIi U of the bat.

Around the Network

Seems likely.

I don't understand the reason for Wii Party when there's Mario Party, which im looking forward to a new Mario Party for the Wii U

If it is a big hit, Wii U will be in good shape. I think it really depends on the marketing.

Gamerace said:
It will outsell Pikmin 3 but that's a very minor accomplishment.

IT would have decent sales (not great) many 2-3m tops except for the inclusion of the wiimoteplus. While this is a great value for wiimote/game, I really question how many people need yet another Wiimote? Vertually anyone who would buy a WiiU, had a Wii and no doubt had 2-4 wiimotes for that.

It's also unintuitive. WiiU sales on the gamepad yet this game comes with a wiimote. That is confusing to casuals because if anything you'd expect it's come with a second gamepad.

Flingsmash and WiiPlay Motion both floundered when packed in with a wiimoteplus late in Wii's life. I don't think this will fair much better. It should be offered without the wiimoteplus.

Just because someone's not a core gamer doesn't mean they're stupid. The "casuals" easily figured out computers, smartphones and tablets. I see no reason why they shouldn't figure out the Wii U works with two different controllers. "What? I can use both my finger and a keyboard to type on this tablet? I don't get it! That's way too complicated!" It's the mass market that's actually showing intelligent consumer behavior. The oh-so-intelligent hardcore gamers are the ones who are going to swallow quite everything the industry throws at them.

Gamerace said:
It will outsell Pikmin 3 but that's a very minor accomplishment.

IT would have decent sales (not great) many 2-3m tops except for the inclusion of the wiimoteplus. While this is a great value for wiimote/game, I really question how many people need yet another Wiimote? Vertually anyone who would buy a WiiU, had a Wii and no doubt had 2-4 wiimotes for that.

It's also unintuitive. WiiU sales on the gamepad yet this game comes with a wiimote. That is confusing to casuals because if anything you'd expect it's come with a second gamepad.

Flingsmash and WiiPlay Motion both floundered when packed in with a wiimoteplus late in Wii's life. I don't think this will fair much better. It should be offered without the wiimoteplus.

I cannot speak for everyone but I never owned a Wii so I didnt have any Wii remotes sitting around.

Yeah I am sure a lot of people would expect a 50 game to come with a 150 game pad../s

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
It's less of a reason than Pikmin 3 to buy the console itself, but it makes a lot more sense to pick up as a complimentary game in addition to the games you are buying the system for.

@Gamerace: There are plenty of people who don't have a full set of Wiimote+ controllers and even in the worst case, you can just sell it and make some money back. Thus the bundled controller is value either way.

Also, the whole "casuals are going to be confused" thing is getting old. Apparently people are able to figure anything, but as soon as it comes to Nintendo products, nobody is going to have a clue.

Completely agree. The whole casuals will be confused thing is just a reason to hate. Actually saw a guy earlier on the Pikmin3 sales suggest that plugging in a USB was far too complicated but they could totally plug in an SD card in the 3DS...

Also having never owned a Wii before I didnt start out this gen with a lot of Wii remotes sitting around. Ive bought 1 M+ new and one older one for Dolphin for games I am not paying 100.00 to play.

I think sales for it will be good. I already have 2 remotes but it wouldnt hurt to have a 3rd if the game is good. Some shops near me sell remotes for 14.99 though

spurgeonryan said:
curl-6 said:
Have you been drinking again dude? :P

interesting how wonderful 101 and bayonetta doom threads  have people go crazy, but when a wii u game is going to do well...

shows the sites true colors

Wait, you're accusing ME of being anti-Nintendo? XD

Oddly enough, I've been getting that a bit lately, despite the fact that since Pikmin 3 came out I've been much more kind to Nintendo.

I think people misunderstood my point.

Obviously there's no way Nintendo would pack-in a gamepad with WiiParty U but if it was affordable to do so, and Wii Party U supported multi-gamepad play then people would definitely buy this, even if they weren't that interested in Wii Party - just like I'm sure a lot of people bought the Wii Play bundle even though they weren't that interested in Wii Play. It was $10 extra and worth at least that so why not?

While of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, considering Wiimote+ has been out for years now, and logically it'll be far and away Wii owners upgrading to WiiU (not PS360 owners) the need for another WM+ will be no where's need the need for a 2nd controller when Wii Play did this. Which is why I bring up Fling Smash and Wii Play Motions poor sales. There's simply not much remaining demand for another WM+.

Will someone need/want/be willing to get another WM+? Of course! And I'm assuming this game will easily quadruple if not more Pikmin's sales. How is this hating?

My point, is that Wii Party U would sell more copies if it was availabe for $25 or $30 without the WM+ (obviously if it was the same price anyone would get it with and resell the WM+ controller) as well as the bundled version. Probably an additional million or two.

I think it could happen...
They just need to market it...

Have a nice day...

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:
spurgeonryan said:

interesting how wonderful 101 and bayonetta doom threads  have people go crazy, but when a wii u game is going to do well...

shows the sites true colors

Wait, you're accusing ME of being anti-Nintendo? XD

Oddly enough, I've been getting that a bit lately, despite the fact that since Pikmin 3 came out I've been much more kind to Nintendo.

Yeah, you are a hater. You've been bashing The Wonderful 101 24/7 and you keep reinforcing how well the Vita will do while the Wii U won't. I don't get it, you can predict Vita success in Japan all you want, but even if it somehow matches the PSP in the end (20m), that still leaves a big amount of sales that has to come from somewhere. That somewhere is not going to be North America where 10m is already out of the question.

Predicting something won't sell well isn't necessarily bashing it, and I never said the Wii U won't pick up; I firmly believe that one the big games arrive Wii U will recover.

And I think with PS4 connectivity Vita will do okay in Europe.