By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS has "fundamentally different" strategy than PS Vita, says Nintendo

teigaga said:
Ermm, not really. Sony and Nintendo visions were initially the same but suspiciously all of the contributors to the PSP (capcom, square enix) magically vanised and become 3DS exclusive. Can you say money hat?

I don't know what you're talking about, yo.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Ermm, not really. Sony and Nintendo visions were initially the same but suspiciously all of the contributors to the PSP (capcom, square enix) magically vanised and become 3DS exclusive. Can you say money hat?

Less money hat and more bigger install base and cheaper to develop/support.

The PSP had a clear cut technological mile on the DS, the Vita only has a block or two, hence less Vita exclusives aside from those they can port from existing PS3 software or digital stuff that probably from their mobile game division.

NoirSon said:
teigaga said:

Less money hat and more bigger install base and cheaper to develop/support.

The PSP had a clear cut technological mile on the DS, the Vita only has a block or two, hence less Vita exclusives aside from those they can port from existing PS3 software or digital stuff that probably from their mobile game division.

Monster Hunter 3G, MH 4, Resident Evil Revelavtions and Kingdom Hearts 3D were all  in development before the 3DS and Vita were even out and they're all specifically 3DS exclusive.

it would be easier to achieve their ambitious visuals (especially in the case of RE+MH) on the Vita hardware then it would the 3DS, so I'm not sure of the cost arguement. The 3DS and Vita are not worlds apart graphically, 3DS games just undergo far more compromises.

I don't think its given though, I'm just very suspicious. 

teigaga said:

it would be easier to achieve their ambitious visuals (especially in the case of RE+MH) on the Vita hardware then it would the 3DS, so I'm not sure of the cost arguement. The 3DS and Vita are not worlds apart graphically, 3DS games just undergo far more compromises.

What makes you think they have visual ambitions?

Nintendo and PC gamer

teigaga said:

Ermm, not really. Sony and Nintendo visions were initially the same but suspiciously all of the key contributors to the PSP (capcom, square enix) magically vanised and become 3DS exclusive. Can you say money hat?

I can indeed say money hat, but I don't know why I would. If Monster Hunter exclusivity was acquired through such means, it would suggest that Nintendo was actually good at coercing third parties to develop for their platform. So tell me, if Nintendo is in the practice of buying exclusives, and are good enough at it to get Capcom and Square Enix to abandon Sony handhelds for their own, where are all the third-party money hat efforts on Wii U?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

Ermm, not really. Sony and Nintendo visions were initially the same but suspiciously all of the key contributors to the PSP (capcom, square enix) magically vanised and become 3DS exclusive. Can you say money hat?

Nintendo secured Monster Hunter exclusivity to cripple growth for the Vita's installed base. Resident Evil: Revelations was probably a part of a deal as well, but that's about it. Square-Enix hasn't done anything that suggests incentives from Nintendo (Kingdom Hearts has been on Nintendo handhelds before), they are simply obsessed with mobile. There's hardly anything they have in development for the 3DS right now and they couldn't even be bothered to localize Bravely Default.

Thats enough really lol

But I guess we can point fingers at sony for being so reliant on 3rd parties. Nintendo moved most of their core development towards 3DS between for at least a year or 2. Sony simply outsourced projects and left the Vita clamouring for a hit. 

Galaki said:
He's wrong. There's no strategy for PSV.

You're back!!!

well the fundamental difference in their strategies is that nintendo's strategy is to support their console with games. Sony on the other hand dont

the_dengle said:
teigaga said:

I can indeed say money hat, but I don't know why I would. If Monster Hunter exclusivity was acquired through such means, it would suggest that Nintendo was actually good at coercing third parties to develop for their platform. So tell me, if Nintendo is in the practice of buying exclusives, and are good enough at it to get Capcom and Square Enix to abandon Sony handhelds for their own, where are all the third-party money hat efforts on Wii U?

hhmm, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate and Dragon Quest X? Beyonetta 2 and Sonic Lost Worlds. Mayb more to be announced, monster hunter 4 was revealed 9 months after the 3DS came out.

Anyway handhelds and Consoles are different environments, so whether or not they've actually engaged that practice on the Wii U isn't a huge consideration of mine. 

osed125 said:
teigaga said:

What makes you think they have visual ambitions?

Because MH and RE are always very graphically intensive games that push whatever hardware they're on. This is true for every entry in the series!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.