By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

i am open to the concept of god but i am yet to be convinced by it. you're argument just doesn't seem right, assuming that just cause we all have DNA that go must be real

Around the Network

Here's another thing to think about when it comes to God. There are millions/billions of stars in our galaxy. There are millions/billions galaxies in the universe. Stars also usually have some planets. That's a lot of planets. Chances are that there is life on another planet, many other planets in fact. What about them? Did God create them too? What about their religion and God? Wouldn't they be right? What makes your view of God the right one and everyone else's view of God wrong?

DSLover said:
i am open to the concept of god but i am yet to be convinced by it. you're argument just doesn't seem right, assuming that just cause we all have DNA that go must be real

You should take a moment to thing about just how complex the DNA code is.  How could something like that come by accident?

If that is not good enough for you then study any part of the human body; the skin, the ear, the eye, your brain.  The human eye alone is so amazing in its design!  Study it out, then ask yourself,  "How does that happen by chance."  Furthermore how is it put into our body and all of these complex organs coincidently just happened to perfectly come together?  Life points to a designer and Creater; God.

If you think it could have evolved to the state it is in now, then someone please show me in the fossil record the countless millions of "mistakes" that you would have to have to finally produce the human being.  And don't point to genetic mutations, because that is not evolving that is devolving.  Furthermore someone please explain to me how a genetic mistake (let's say to the point that the mistake was so bad it did not permit the creature to live) somehow "learns from this mistake and produces different offspring?  So a toad jumps in the water dies, and somehow communicates to his dead young, that perhaps he never had in the first place, "Oh, crap guys don't just jump in the water, grow gills first."  Entirely stupid.

You should goggle and purchase a video series entitled Creatures that Defy Evolution.  There are three of them in the series.  Simply amazing.  I challange anyone that really thinks evolution could work to watch these videos.

veiam said:
Here's another thing to think about when it comes to God. There are millions/billions of stars in our galaxy. There are millions/billions galaxies in the universe. Stars also usually have some planets. That's a lot of planets. Chances are that there is life on another planet, many other planets in fact. What about them? Did God create them too? What about their religion and God? Wouldn't they be right? What makes your view of God the right one and everyone else's view of God wrong?

Actually the opposite is true, as has already been stated by others:  our universe is a very "hostile" place.  You should read the book or watch the DVD entitled "Priviledged Planet"  It is written by two Scientist, and furthermore scientist who in the DVD do not profess to be Christians.  The film does not talk about Christiananity or religion.

It is about two scientis that set out to prove the point that there must be many "earths" throughout our universe.  The more they studied and researched the more they came to the oppostie conclusion.  The fact that there is even an earth is a miracle, as the statistical odds and probability of something like that happening anywhere in our universe are beyond astonding.

It is a must watch.  WATCH IT!   WATCH IT, I dare you to watch it. 

God does exist for me, he's on the planet right now, starred in a 80's tv show with a talking car (who's an even greater god) and is the most watched person on the planet. David Hasselhoff FTW.

Around the Network
fagarcia75 said:
DSLover said:

You should take a moment to thing about just how complex the DNA code is. How could something like that come by accident?

If that is not good enough for you then study any part of the human body; the skin, the ear, the eye, your brain. The human eye alone is so amazing in its design! Study it out, then ask yourself, "How does that happen by chance." Furthermore how is it put into our body and all of these complex organs coincidently just happened to perfectly come together? Life points to a designer and Creater; God.

If you think it could have evolved to the state it is in now, then someone please show me in the fossil record the countless millions of "mistakes" that you would have to have to finally produce the human being. And don't point to genetic mutations, because that is not evolving that is devolving. Furthermore someone please explain to me how a genetic mistake (let's say to the point that the mistake was so bad it did not permit the creature to live) somehow "learns from this mistake and produces different offspring? So a toad jumps in the water dies, and somehow communicates to his dead young, that perhaps he never had in the first place, "Oh, crap guys don't just jump in the water, grow gills first." Entirely stupid.

You should goggle and purchase a video series entitled Creatures that Defy Evolution. There are three of them in the series. Simply amazing. I challange anyone that really thinks evolution could work to watch these videos.

I'm happy that you have found your faith, and I am sure it aids your life in many ways, makes you a happier person, gets through tough times easier, and so on.  But it's one thing to accept faith, yet another to clearly understand the arguments that you think are evidence of God.

This is exactly the kind of argument I am 100% against.  I am not against God in any way, but I am against these kind of arguments.  It shows utter lack of understanding.  I think some of the things you say also give atheists ammunition to make fun of people who genuinely believe in God, and it's a bad thing.

Oh well, I've never successfully convinced anybody about this.  I used to go to a Christian fellowship regularly, talk a lot about this, and I have exactly a 0% hitting percentage.  People would just keep saying the same thing no matter what.  For most of my life I was very receptive to get myself to "believe" in God but utimately never made the leap.  After all, the first 12 years of my education are done in either a Christian or a Protestant setting.

Feel free to keep spreading your faith though--I'm generally happier if more people actually stick to one faith or another.  I do think most people benefit from actually believing in God for whatever reason they like, be it revelation, faith, comfort, etc etc.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Those arguments are all pretty pathetic. It's a tipicall case of " if I can't explain it, God did it" and what's stupid is your logic is so absolutely ignorant, narowminded and shortsighted its just sad. First off I believe in God and the soul and all that jazz, but I do not believe a single word from the church or some one time philosophers who fail to see the big picture and who's only means of being philosphers at the time was to contemplate God, or the church's God, giving it a depth and complexety it simply did not have. Second, lets view your arguments in short succesion:

1. The Existence of the DNA CODE

Simple, just because you can't explain doesnsn't mean it's the hand of God. It's not science that creates order in the Universe, rather it is the Universe that reveals its order. Both science and especially religion are miles away from explaining the Universe, the moment science tells me that something as simple as knowing your being watched is impossible, or religion tells me oh so many absurdities that it would take several thousand pages to write them down, is the moment I realise any explanation from these two about higher things should be takes with a grain of salt, in the case if science, and just downright dismissed in the case of religion.

2. The Existence of Objective Moral Standards

Huh? Morality is simply a more advanced form of animal social conduct, it's partially hardwired and partialy culturally influenced, you don't see animals tareing each other appart for no reason, only humans do lol. First off its clear that humans are capable of anything when their hardwired morality is bipassed, ie nazi and comunist atroceties, in any religion, race , culture etc. Second, the hardwired morality is purely animal in origin, and that is so obvious only an ignorant fool could think otherwise.

3. The Existence of Rationality

This one is just stupid. First off, reality is pure perception, no one sees reality for what it is, it is fundemantally impossible, thus no one sees the whole truth of anything, rather they see their own version of the truth. The arguments used in that section are just pure philosophical garbage. Who the hell says that the human mind has anything to do with the truth? The world and science isnt created by truth, rahter it is created by the perceived truths that we have managed to naroow down as to serve our own interests, it doesnt matter if that perceived truth is a lie or not as lonmg as tis continues to serve its asiggned function.

4. The Existence of Consciousess/Mind

Big mistake, first off you're implying that the conscious mind is exclusive to humans and absolute in its definition, dolfins, dogs ,cimpanzies and every animal has a certain form of consciousness, just because you cant detect is or measure it , is prooth of this arguments ignorance, its like saying that if a man is paralised completely, and doesnt show any sign of activity he is brain dead, simple fact of the matter is, its just your preception of waht is concscous and what isnt. Not to mention that animals have emotions and can be reflective and all that stuff that we atribuite to humans, which we regard as being the basis of consiousness.

5. The Existence of the Universe

Ok, the Universe is something we are not even close to explaining in any way shape or form, so what youre saynf is that if science doesnt have the answer, then religon does so its made by god, first off, religion is the one that thouh the wolrd was flat, that it was the center of the universe etc, until science came along and undoubtebly proved them wrong, same case here, science will one day explain the universe, and prove tha religion is wrong. I'd give a longer ecxplanaton but that would take too long .

6. The Universe is fine-tuned delicately

True! it is very fine tuned, not as fine as you would expect, since its not like there is life on every inch of its of all tis planets or anything like that, so its rahter inefiecient. But there is a force at work here, gravity anyone, atoms andsome other energies that we have yet to discover, maybe even GOD. But to imply that the judeo christian church has anything to do with it all is just stupid. So unless ypu plan to completely redifine God as something completely separate from humans and religion, then this arguemnt is false.

ChichiriMuyo said:
That Guy said:
Love induced by chemicals?

Isn't that called Chloroform?

No, it's called Ecstacy or MDMA.

There you go. I just saved scientists what? 10 years and like a billion dollars of research.

___O_o______ said:
i don't get why people are still arguing.....

100 year from now, agnostic/atheist will be the dominant "religion" of Europe, east asia, and america/canada.

i mean, just look at france. it's history is deeply rooted in catholicism. However, in various polls, around 33% view themselves as either agnostic/aethiest on average.

a 100 years ago, this would be an INSANE amount of agnostic/aethiest people to predict. Yet, it happened.

our generation and our children will be the last generations living in a majority-christian society in the West.

My country is already a culturalhotspot with various believes and people from all over the world (Netherlands).

With 16.6 million people living here (all Christian from origin) there are now well over 2 million Moslims and more then 5 million foreign inhabitants. (I don't mind the cultural diferences though, you can buy anything from all over the world here).

The time of the mostly Christian Western world is since long gone. But i don't mind really, im an atheist and im not going to join this arguing because some people believe in god and some don't, and you can't change that! And i respect that!

THE NETHERLANDS

The proof for the existence of God is as valid as the proof that he(?) doesn't exist.

While most people had funny responses to why they think the original post was wrong, that does not prove that God doesn't exist. The strongest thing that the anti-God crowd have is Occam's Razor, but that is just what it is, a razor not a theory or fact.
The main component in the argument of the pro-God crowd is that when you can't explain the system, there must be something out of this system to make it work. Could be true, but does not necessarily prove it.
To me atheism is a religion, so everyone who quotes Marx when he says that religion is the opium of the masses are hypocrites.

Oh and by the way, DNA is a code just like the codes we have in electrical engineering. We have much much more compicated codes too. Anyone that says otherwise should take a course in information theory.