By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Jack Tretton: “The Battle for Next Generation’s Hearts and Minds is Being Waged in the West Right Now”

Incubi said:
bananaking21 said:
Incubi said:
But does Sony really have enough cash to outspend Microsoft in the marketing department?

dont worry about them, they will sell a building or two to fund the marketing

Post of the thread right here, hehe!

Another question: Now we know neither PS4 or XBone will release in Japan this year. Does that mean we'll see Media Create charts during december being completely dominated by Nintendo?

Well that would have happened anyway because of the 3DS. Sony will have some representation, but yeah it'll be mostly Nintendo.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
ktay95 said:
So wait is Europe a country? i mean if Japan is irrelevant according some of the guys on VGChartz where does that leave most countries in the world. Japan is one of the biggest markets for home consoles still, bigger than most of PS4's launch countries

It's not a country but a single market so it's not that hard to launch EU-wide anyway.

Plus there's more competition and more to gain in Europe.

try telling MSFT that

MS fucked up by not having enough units, it's not a logistical thing. If Sony have no problems with production then it's no biggie.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Sony lost japan to Nintendo so it will not be smart to launch there first. 3DS is king in Japan so much so the Playstation 4 wouldn't outsell it. Playstation 4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U, I am excited to see how it play out.

And this is why western games have become so prevalent over the previous gen... while the Japanese home console market has been shrinking, the western console market has been thriving and ever expanding.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

pezus said:
Japan is much more about handhelds now, but I'd still like to see them launch it there this year. Even if it's in limited quantities. Don't want to make Japanese devs angry

I think they are only more focused on handhelds now because that's where the JRPGs are, if the JRPGs moved to the PS4 then we would see a switch back to home consoles in Japan.

Around the Network

Lol, it's a long haul war, not a simple first run battle.

It does seem like not the smartest decision to me to ignore Japan. But Microsoft has it's own production issues. Seems like the battle will not really be underway till mid 2014.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
the2real4mafol said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
the2real4mafol said:
I love how it's being talked about like it's an actual war. I guess they want dominance again.

Well sony has to be cautious and determined. If a corporation entered the gaming industry solely to take your marketshare and build around it wouldn't you stand your ground as well? Microsoft halved sonys marketshare but they know the gamers they took are only loyal to third party and price.

True but i think it was a good wake up call for Sony to struggle like it did with PS3. On PS2, it delivered the games but it could've made more games and didn't really care about the smaller games back then. Partly, because they almost owned the industry single handedly and so didn't have to try so hard. But the competition this generation forced better and more unique games from Sony and so we win anyway. I suppose market share don't matter to much to me as long as they don't fail. 

Judging by their sales this gen, if Sony gets even at parity in sales with Microsoft next gen in the US they will sell a hundred million consoles. They are on the verge of 80 million right now.

That should be easy

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Incubi said:
bananaking21 said:
Incubi said:
But does Sony really have enough cash to outspend Microsoft in the marketing department?

dont worry about them, they will sell a building or two to fund the marketing

Post of the thread right here, hehe!

Another question: Now we know neither PS4 or XBone will release in Japan this year. Does that mean we'll see Media Create charts during december being completely dominated by Nintendo?

look at the charts this week, they already are. though, the vita should sell good as it already is. 

erm yeah europe and its small brother the usa

Pardon the "French" in this photo, but I swear there is no more accurate photo on the face of this planet that describes how Americans and Europeans see each other.

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"