By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony's best case scenario unfolded this year with the PS3, would you buy

Jandre002, tou shouldn`t SCARE them with PS3 domination. =))
Let them to rejoice all time they had left. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Assume 20% likely now for me, with no changes to PS3.

I would say maybe, but probably not until 2009 or so. Don't even have an HDTV yet.... Increases likely hood about 25-30% more... add another 10% if DVR option has no subscription requirement.

waron said:
no, cause there is only few games coming to ps3 i would like to play and huge amount of games on ps2 i would love to play(60 or more) so for 299$ i would get used ps2 and many good (used) games for this system.

lol, sorry, but this made me laugh my ass off... there are 60+ games on the PS2 you would love to play, and you don't own a PS2? It's $129 new. Less used.

If after 60+ games you want to play, you don't buy a PS2, nothing will convince you to buy a PS3, unless it played Nintendo games I guess.

@ Riot

Nope, sadly I do not own a PS3

Nope because it's mostly the same tired old games that have been on PS2 for years.

They would have to come up with some new ideas for me to want a PS3 and my son much prefers 'hardcore' style games on his PC now so he doesn't want a PS3 either.

Around the Network

For myself, I'm a very casual gamer, but my son is more hardcore.  Currently we only have a Wii.  He is interested in getting a 360 or PS3.  But specifically related to the points:

1. PS3 "Slim" was released with smaller design, bigger HDD, and software BC for only $299.

Both: Don't care about any of those except price.  $299 is an acceptable price point.

2. Home and In-Game XMB allowed for integration and achievements both on classic gamercard style and in the virtual home world with trophies.

Both: Don't care, not selling points.

3. HD DVD concedes victory to BD and all HD releases are on BD. DVR ability is released for reasonable price.

Both: We have an SDTV so not a selling point.

4. Sony store adds movies/music to downloadable content.

Me: Movies - maybe.

Both: Music? You mean PAY for music? Heaven forbid.

5. MGS4,LBP,KZ2,FF,GT5, InFamous, and White Knight Story all turn out to be as solid as they are hyped up to be. (ooops and Resistance) AND all made it within the 2008 calendar.

Both: None of these games are of any interest to either of us. 

6. Ports are equal on both the 360 and PS3.

Both: Not a selling feature, although it sure helps.

7. Came with rumble controller.

Both: Better.

8. And KH3 was announed for PS3 (maybe as exclusive, maybe not.)

Me: Don't care.

My son: Yes, if exclusive. 

Would this be enough to make you purhase a PS3? Or has Sony ruined any interest by releasing it initially at such a high price point? 

>Sony ruined interest by focusing on MS fan base. Price is another big factor.  Blu-ray was another deterent (don't want to be forced to play extra for a potentially dead format).  Game library is the biggest single deterent though.  All the games we want to play (aside from Wii games) are either on both HD systems or 360 exclusive.

However, until MS totally eliminates RRoD, purchasing a 360 is also not going to happen. 

^ If you don't like any of the games mentioned, I'd have to ask you if you like gaming at all.

Number 1 alone would be more than enough for me.

TheRealMafoo said:
waron said:
no, cause there is only few games coming to ps3 i would like to play and huge amount of games on ps2 i would love to play(60 or more) so for 299$ i would get used ps2 and many good (used) games for this system.

lol, sorry, but this made me laugh my ass off... there are 60+ games on the PS2 you would love to play, and you don't own a PS2? It's $129 new. Less used.

If after 60+ games you want to play, you don't buy a PS2, nothing will convince you to buy a PS3, unless it played Nintendo games I guess.

i just never thought about buying last gen console cause i wasn't interested in console gaming. i thought about buying both ps3 and wii, but now when i know that it doesn't have BC i would stick with ps2. 129$ for new ps2? maybe in america, in poland the ps2 price is near xbox arcade price which is about 240+$ so it's still not so great deal. i didn't buy ps2 cause i don't have time to play games at home(i will have ds probably next month) and i don't want to throw my money on system i won't use often.

llewdebkram said:
Nope because it's mostly the same tired old games that have been on PS2 for years.

They would have to come up with some new ideas for me to want a PS3 and my son much prefers 'hardcore' style games on his PC now so he doesn't want a PS3 either.

Im not here to defend anything but what you said there is just plain stupid. Yeah it might be the old games that have been for years, but seeing from your game collection it's not like you have all "original titles"
if we take any 360 game can we really say it's not the same games? Halo 3 is really innovaive... yeah... and so is Bioshock...
and what about the Wii? people say it is original while even they don't hae this such big originality, Mario Galaxy is the same Mario we are used to, Zelda is Ocrania of Time with better graphics...
and hey I love all of these games! and thats what generally makes us buy these consoles...
would you all buy a nintendo console knowing that there would be no Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Smash Brothers? Seriously...

Sometimes having the "same old games" is wonderful because these old games are good, and we want always more good