By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA

maximrace said:
Lol msft supported Amd for so long and now they fuck with them

As someone else said, this is AMD trying to sell their product.

I don't think this is an issue for Microsoft.  Microsoft uses it's own technology.  Some of that technology it owns, some of that technology it developed in association with AMD or other companies.  The memory in the Xbox One is hybrid, not just heterogeneous or using "hUMA".  The CPU and GPU can access the same memory, but the GPU can also access the eSRAM.

AMD can't afford not to promote itself or the features of its processors.  It's a company that's on the brink of collapse.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:
Dark_Feanor said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Dark_Feanor said:
This is AMD selling its products.
It´s the same thing with Nvidia pushing their Physx processing or the anciante 360´s Tesselation.
They are just sets of H/S fuctions that are suposed to improve performance in a way or another.

.......uh the One's apu is also their product

Not exactly. Microsoft spent a lot hell of money customising the APU, for any reason they didn´t want to implement  hUMA, may be they using a better or simpler (or cheaper) solution.

He was pushing the hUMA tech, this is a big selling point of AMD´s APUs. So, no suprise he praised PS4 for using a regular AMD solution.

Are you really trying to imply that Sony didn't spend a crap ton of money customising the APU? I don't want to come off as a deuche, but your comment is laughable.

If MS came up with a better solution, why isn't MS or AMD touting it? Why isn't AMD putting that solutin in all of their apu's?

How loud do I have to say this; XBOX ONE CONTAINS AN AMD APU. Its a custom apu, just like the PS4 contains a CUSTOM AMD APU. So why would AMD have any reason to say one is better than the other, unless its true?

LOL at regular AMD solution. PS4 contains the 1st AMD apu with hUMA, but its a regular AMD solution? Flawed logic much?

because theyre trying to sell huma?

The good old trivial tech jargon thrown in the mix to give people something to talk about.
What is it gonna do next? Decode a nuclear bomb like PS3 was supposed to?
Let's see how they implement it before you say in your face MS.

Adinnieken said:

Sorry, it isn't.

Tiled Resources is a thing only two existing companies have worked on and have patents for, one of them is Microsoft.  None of them is AMD or NVidia.  The other is PowerVR owned by Imagination Technologies.  Neither AMD nor NVidia are licensees for PowerVR's patent technology.

You're mistaking Tiled Resources with Megatextures.  They are not the same.

Tiled Resources are akin to Paint-by-Number.  Where a letter represents a texture image used.  A tiled resource is made up of multiple small texture tile images, 32x32p, 64x64p, or whatever ratio the final image requires.  Tiled resources looks at the entire geometry of a scene and only applies a texture to the visible area.  Ultimately this requires fewer resources, making tiled resources both GPU and memory efficient.

Megatextures require a very large, final image to act as the texture.  Up to 128000x128000.  These textures are then overlaid, one on top of the other.  So as you move, the texture that offers the infocus terrain is more visible.  While this is less GPU intensive, it is heavily memory intensive.     

The Xbox One doesn't use hUMA because the Xbox One uses eSRAM.  The GPU and the CPU in the Xbox One, as in the Xbox 360, can access the same memory but the GPU also utilizes the eSRAM. 

Not true AMD's GCN has native support for tiled resources they called it Partially Resident Texture you can read about it here http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Partially%20Resident%20Textures%20on%20Next-Generation%20GPUs.v04.pps (The implementation in DX 11.2 is the same) and Meagexture is actually a tiled bassed system implemented in software http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/03/megatextures-in-rage/.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

We haven't seen many games running on both consoles to compare them.

Around the Network

Thanks! :p

tres said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Dark_Feanor said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Dark_Feanor said:
This is AMD selling its products.
It´s the same thing with Nvidia pushing their Physx processing or the anciante 360´s Tesselation.
They are just sets of H/S fuctions that are suposed to improve performance in a way or another.

.......uh the One's apu is also their product

Not exactly. Microsoft spent a lot hell of money customising the APU, for any reason they didn´t want to implement  hUMA, may be they using a better or simpler (or cheaper) solution.

He was pushing the hUMA tech, this is a big selling point of AMD´s APUs. So, no suprise he praised PS4 for using a regular AMD solution.

Are you really trying to imply that Sony didn't spend a crap ton of money customising the APU? I don't want to come off as a deuche, but your comment is laughable.

If MS came up with a better solution, why isn't MS or AMD touting it? Why isn't AMD putting that solutin in all of their apu's?

How loud do I have to say this; XBOX ONE CONTAINS AN AMD APU. Its a custom apu, just like the PS4 contains a CUSTOM AMD APU. So why would AMD have any reason to say one is better than the other, unless its true?

LOL at regular AMD solution. PS4 contains the 1st AMD apu with hUMA, but its a regular AMD solution? Flawed logic much?

because theyre trying to sell huma?

Show me an example of a company purposely lying about one of their own products to make another of their own products look superior, because that is exactly what you are suggesting.

BTW with or without hUMA the PS4 already have the advantage in RAM POWER.

That's not AMD fault... MS that choose and asked AMD to create a APU with these specs.

I think the biggest part of this is that this is going to fundamentally change the way we write code (I think that would be the proper term). hUMA allows a single algorithm to communicate with both the CPU and GPU at the same time. Something completely impossible until now. I don't have any clue what that can translate to in the real world, but it seems very impressive, and groundbreaking. I can't wait until November so I can officially own the first retail device with a hUMA apu. This next gen is going to be insane! I mean wait until PC's start adopting hUMA. My head is going to explode just thinking of the PC games we're going to see in a few years. By the time hUMA is in wide use in PC's then developers should have a pretty good grasp of it.

The best looking game a system can throw at me can't even beat Ocarina of Time IMO. When did everyone become obsessed with how a game looks instead of how it plays? Isn't that backwards?