By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA

JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:

https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/370563647942438912

I guess yosp agrees with AMD.

Or with the previos question:  The emoticon is a recent boom?? (Lol)
As translated.

I don't even understand what you are meaning. Sorry.

His last comment is "Yes". 

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

Not to mention, AMD just retracted their statements for being inaccurate. 

But the Sony fanboys will just say MS paid them since they say that to anything.

I called it! What do I win?

ShinmenTakezo said:
Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
I think some people fail to understand what exactly is going on with this. The APU in the One is made by AMD. It is not MS' tech, it is AMD's. MS' apu was not built MS. MS had AMD make a custom apu. This is exactly the same thing Sony did. MS does not have HUMA or anything similar. Either you have it or you don't. There is no in between. You can't sort of have heterogeneous unified memory access. This isn't software. It isn't just hardware. It is a different approach to computing. A more efficient way that allows CPU and GPU to cancel each others bottlenecks out. With current architecture you have to communicate with the CPU and GPU seperately. When data needs to get passed between the two, it has to be copied. HUMA eliminates that so one algorithm can communicate with CPU and GPU at the same time. Impossible without HUMA.

You have software, code, in hardware.  If you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.  Both GPUs and CPUs have code associated with them that determines how they operate.  Microsoft or AMD could easily alter AMD's hUMA for Microsft's specific needs.  Hell, that's one of the reasons why Microsoft went with AMD in Gen7 for their GPU.  AMD would customize the processor based on their needs. 

Nothing you've said can substantially contradict what Microsoft has stated nor that the Xbox One APU doesn't have hUMA.  The development documentation states it.  Microsoft's Marc Whitten has said it.  So who are you to contradict it?  Because a guy from AMD who may not be aware of the design of Microsoft's APU?  Is there the distinct possbility that Microsoft may have a NDA agreement with AMD where AMD can't reveal any details about the APU before launch?  Which might just justify why AMD made a retraction with no comment instead of elaborating?  Seems entirely logical to me. 

No I do research, Which you obviously don't. I read up to try to understand the situation, you take what some talking head says as fact and run with it. There's a big difference there. HUMA is a hardware solution that can change the way you code. You can still code the classic way, but hUMA allows a new way previously impossible.

There are plenty of articles out there stating exactly what hUMA is, and what it means for computing, not just gaming. Please read some before you tell me I'm fooling myself. It is impossible for MS to have hUMA because of the archetecture they chose. They cannot implement it at a later time.

You can believe MS if you want, but I believe facts and science before talking heads.

I think I'm going to believe the hardware engineer who actually worked on the hardware they implemented.

Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:

As translated.

Yeah, what does that mean?

I wish you guys drinking MS' Kool-aid would just do some research. It really is very simple. It would also save you from eating a lot of crow come Dec when the consoles are out, and devs aren't so scared of pissing anyone off. I just don't understand why you wouldn't fact check what these companies are saying.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:

As translated.

My first thought was that no one will translate the previous guys statement, but they will his.  So, above you see the question of "Do you want to comment?" and him later saying "Yes".

Regardless, it leaves ambiguous as to what he's commenting on.

ShinmenTakezo said:
nightsurge said:
Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

But the Sony fanboys will just say MS paid them since they say that to anything.

A virtual high-five from me!  I laughed when I read it!  You did indeed call it...

Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
I think some people fail to understand what exactly is going on with this. The APU in the One is made by AMD. It is not MS' tech, it is AMD's. MS' apu was not built MS. MS had AMD make a custom apu. This is exactly the same thing Sony did. MS does not have HUMA or anything similar. Either you have it or you don't. There is no in between. You can't sort of have heterogeneous unified memory access. This isn't software. It isn't just hardware. It is a different approach to computing. A more efficient way that allows CPU and GPU to cancel each others bottlenecks out. With current architecture you have to communicate with the CPU and GPU seperately. When data needs to get passed between the two, it has to be copied. HUMA eliminates that so one algorithm can communicate with CPU and GPU at the same time. Impossible without HUMA.

You have software, code, in hardware.  If you think otherwise you're fooling yourself.  Both GPUs and CPUs have code associated with them that determines how they operate.  Microsoft or AMD could easily alter AMD's hUMA for Microsft's specific needs.  Hell, that's one of the reasons why Microsoft went with AMD in Gen7 for their GPU.  AMD would customize the processor based on their needs. 

Nothing you've said can substantially contradict what Microsoft has stated nor that the Xbox One APU doesn't have hUMA.  The development documentation states it.  Microsoft's Marc Whitten has said it.  So who are you to contradict it?  Because a guy from AMD who may not be aware of the design of Microsoft's APU?  Is there the distinct possbility that Microsoft may have a NDA agreement with AMD where AMD can't reveal any details about the APU before launch?  Which might just justify why AMD made a retraction with no comment instead of elaborating?  Seems entirely logical to me. 

No I do research, Which you obviously don't. I read up to try to understand the situation, you take what some talking head says as fact and run with it. There's a big difference there. HUMA is a hardware solution that can change the way you code. You can still code the classic way, but hUMA allows a new way previously impossible.

There are plenty of articles out there stating exactly what hUMA is, and what it means for computing, not just gaming. Please read some before you tell me I'm fooling myself. It is impossible for MS to have hUMA because of the archetecture they chose. They cannot implement it at a later time.

You can believe MS if you want, but I believe facts and science before talking heads.

I think I'm going to believe the hardware engineer who actually worked on the hardware they implemented.

Ummmmm there hasn't been a single MS hardware engineer to came out and say the One has hUMA. Even if one did say it, you should still do some research. Like I said earlier, you listen to talking heads and run with it as truth. Do you think a MS engineer is going to admit they have an inferior system?

Captain_Tom said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
nightsurge said:
Adinnieken said:
ShinmenTakezo said:

A virtual high-five from me!  I laughed when I read it!  You did indeed call it...

I'll take it, I was expecting hate and malice......

Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
JoeTheBro said:

As translated.

My first thought was that no one will translate the previous guys statement, but they will his.  So, above you see the question of "Do you want to comment?" and him later saying "Yes".

Regardless, it leaves ambiguous as to what he's commenting on.

All I see is a guy commenting "The emoticon is a recent boom?? (Lol)" and yosp replying yes.