By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Thank you Sony ---> Xbox 180 ---> Internet 180

What now ?

Keep hating - we want moar ! 43 49.43%

Enough is enough ! 17 19.54%

It's never enough ! 27 31.03%

Total:87

I think you should thanks the "Non-buyers" instead....

Around the Network
Wright said:

75% of the people in this site that said "Paying for online sucks" are now in the bandwagon of "I don't mind paying! PSN+ is such awesome!", so yeah, you gotta thank Microsoft.

And they're right.

PSN+ is an awesome service, but to pay for online sucks.

To me... that was the biggest mistake from Sony.

Guys... Pre-orders are always potential sales... Never Guaranteed sales... Just cause one console has more preorders than the other doesn't mean they can't cancel it... So if you think that ps4 is gonna sell the most... well your wrong... Its gonna be the 3ds

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mmmfishtacos said:
Machiavellian said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Machiavellian said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
So now your also and expert in Sony's finances? Yeah didn't think so. My point still stands and what you know is irrelevant. 

Again, they don't have to match MS to have the service which only works with PS4 to be just as good as what MS is doing with Xbox one, that also works with everything else. Get off it.

Get ready for I told you so. 

Why do I have to be an expert in Sony finances when they are a public traded company that has to disclose their financial health.  You know this information is very easily obtainable?  There are plenty of articles on the health of Sony in all of the businesses they compete in.  You know their profits, revenues and losses.  There is no guessing about where Sony is at even for someone with no financial background.

Just as good only cut it for certain things but you cannot just be so so when it comes to providing a feature at a cost where everyone will use it.  You are really thinking Sony has money to just throw at any problem.  Anyway you are right I will be waiting on that "I told you so".  Lets see how long it takes if it ever happens.  Sony isn't in the business of selling servers so it should be very interesting.  I am sure, you will go into the knight if it doesn't happen.  

It will come faster than you think. Sony don'st need to sell server. You don't seem to get it. Also, look up gaikai heat map. They ARE already all over the place. 

So tell me how is Sony going to strike this great deal.  Are they going to eat the cost to make dedicated servers from Google, Amazon or one of the other big datacenters cheap enough for devs to want to do it on the PS4.  How many servers are going to be needed.  Will these servers be up all the time or spin up like MS is doing.  Spinning up a dedicated server require you already have an infrastructure in place.  How many countries will they support.  How much resources per 3rd party developer.  

You need to look at how many servers Gaikai support.  Last I remeber Giakai did not even own those servers, they rent them but I will did that bit of info up later as I am working.  heat map looks great  but capacity is the key.  Hell in my company we rent space all over the world and it looks great if you looking at a map of such.  What we do not have is the ability to server millions of users all over the world at the same quality level.  Either way, this will not be a conversation I expect to have about Sony doing what MS is doing any time soon.

Do you really think that Sony paid 380 million for them, with no hardware? Yeah, don’t think so. 

In 2011 I think it was Gaikai was named the largest Game steaming network in the world by Guinness world records. It's Large enough to support PS4 in the first few years, and you know Sony has been investing in it, they didn't just buy them and say "yep that’s it were good'. Fuck no, they are smarter than that.

You can forget about how large MS cloud is when they are only using one gear is used for live. This is what I’m getting at, The end user experience isn’t going to be noticeable by a large portion the population. 

Do you know what a dino queen is? A car the process a shit tone of power looks good on paper but has a car with less horse power keeping up with it in the real world. That how I see MS and Sony.  

Will Sony Chase to have the world’s largess sever farm? NO, why do they need to, they don’t. Will the chase the best gaming network, yes. 

Not sure what Sony bought, hofully they bought the contracts out that Giakai made with their other partners.  Here is a quote from Perry concerning such a deal

"Perry told Reuters that his company uses Limelight Networks' data centers to house itsservers. "When I was raising money for the company, the $1 million question was how to raise money for the servers and data centers," he said. "TriplePoint Capital (an early investor of YouTube, Facebook) signed up as an investor, so all the servers and hardware in the Gaikai network is bought by them." Perry added that he expects to double the number of Gaikai's data centers in the United States and Europe, to almost 50, in less than a year."

You can find the interview here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cloud-gaming-gaikai-david-perry-limelight-networks-earthworm-jim,13028.html.

Its kind of easy to be the top game streaming company when you only have to compete with one other company.  Cannot believe you are using that as some measurement of Gaikai capabilities.

You say people will not see the difference, well it really shows you do not know what you are talking about.  Having the most local resource to handle million of users makes a huge difference.  MS can deploy 5 times as many servers locally to where they matter and serve up millions of users.  They are doing it Now with COD and BF4, FIfa  and their other games.  If you are saying that Sony only have to worry about a few thousands users which is what Giakia did before they got purchase then you are right, Sony will be doing fine.  If you are talking about million of users around the world with not just one game but multiple MP games like COD or BF4 and the hundreds of other MP games that are coming down the pipe than what you are saying does not make sense.  

Sony is not giving dedicated servers to 3rp party developers because they did not plan on it and really they do not have the cash to make it happen.  As stated we will see if Sony can do something but the numbers doesn't show it.

Sony cannot fight in this space because they just do not have the cash.  Its not like Sony is making huge profits as a business.  Its not like they can focus all of their money on the PS4 and if a company has to sell their buildings to show a profit, that should tell you something.  Man I love Sony products and services but I that does not mean I am going to ignore that the company isn't in the same space on certain things as MS.

Well Sony should also thank Microsoft for the idea of pay-walling online. Now they are going make millions