By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Microsoft and Sony killing Inovation" says industry vet Mitch Lasky

Stillwell said:
I don't agree. PSN and Arcade gives plenty of room for innovative titles and so does Wii, DS and PC.

^Agreed.

But seriously hasn't this article come up like 80 million someodd times -_-; I don't see how Darwins law doesn't apply to this industry >_>; If they keep making these games that don't sell, at some point in time, they have to stop making them. Yet still, they make them, people buy them, and the world keeps spinning. Besides, if they get to the point where they really are low on budget, can't they just make more Wii shovelware? :P (I kid I kid!) I guess the promise of a 3rd party game selling like Assassins Creed or COD4 is just too massive?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

No , the one to blame is MS ... untill they came , game development costs where under 1 million ... than came big budget games like Halo , Brute Force , Advent Rising , and if Sony wouldent respond with the same card , they would be lost ...

Also , dont tell me that all Wii games are inovative , because thats just a lie ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Stillwell said:
I don't agree. PSN and Arcade gives plenty of room for innovative titles and so does Wii, DS and PC.
 apperently its a lot of money to put things on XBLA, don't really know about PSN, plus its said you have to jump through some major whoops just to get your game up, which makes it difficult for smaller developers.  The Budget issue concernes me a lot, simply because i am in the process of creating my own independant dev company along with some friends of mine, but we do not have a budget of £50,000- £100,000 to put  in a game, its too much for such a small group, thus folks like us are left out in the cold, when we want to put our work on consoles (especially the PS3 and 360). Not saying it was ever easy but, danm is even more hard now. We are currently trying to get feedback for Wiiware and the requirements to be a wiiware developer. A lot people prefare to just start thier own thing simply because joining a big coorperation like EA, can make you loose all the love you have for this industry, i have seen it too many times with some of my friends.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

kingofwale said:
>so i am guessing you don't agree or see where he is coming from?

of course no, innovation costs money, that's why big companies are on the cutting edge of innovation, Microsoft, Apple... so on, you don't see a company of 5 people come up with a new product nowaday, do you?

as for big budge production, you see this at hollywood all the time, Big-production might not always translate into great result, but at least they have the resources to bring in the best of the best. Sure some will fail (Lair), but more will win (CoD4, FFXII, Halo3, AC....)

if the guy's so bitter, go make a cutting edge game with small budge them. You don't think companies want that? It's just highly undoable.

But then again, the guy works for bloody Mobile games, what right does he have to do to criticize console games?

FF12 was shockingly boring and mediocre. worst in series. the only one I didnt bother to finish. Even Blue Dragon was far better.

hunter_alien said:
No , the one to blame is MS ... untill they came , game development costs where under 1 million ... than came big budget games like Halo , Brute Force , Advent Rising , and if Sony wouldent respond with the same card , they would be lost ...

Also , dont tell me that all Wii games are inovative , because thats just a lie ...

You dont know much? FF7 was the first big budget game

Around the Network

>Even Blue Dragon was far better.

you are the only one bro. :P, reviewers tend to agree with me on this one. lol

>Also , dont tell me that all Wii games are inovative , because thats just a lie ...

Wii does have some innovation, Wiimote's pretty cool, but by no mean perfect and precise, that's why 2 of the biggest games this year (SSBB and Mario Kart), most people will still play them on GC controller. I know I will.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

People will play SSBB with the GC controller not because the wiimote isn't precise.. It's just because that game seems perfect on that controller.

Microsoft and Sony should do what Valve did with portal to help innovation past the high production costs.

kingofwale said:
>Even Blue Dragon was far better.

you are the only one bro. :P, reviewers tend to agree with me on this one. lol

>Also , dont tell me that all Wii games are inovative , because thats just a lie ...

Wii does have some innovation, Wiimote's pretty cool, but by no mean perfect and precise, that's why 2 of the biggest games this year (SSBB and Mario Kart), most people will still play them on GC controller. I know I will.

All my mates in real and on WOW hated ff12. Im an avid Jrpg player. And anime watcher. If you thught FF12 was good then theres something not right. Most reviews are biased to Long running series.

^graphics arent everything

hunter_alien said:

Actually the Wii has a ton of innovative games. Even games like No More heroes change up the usual getting bored melee combat that's been used since PS1 games. Of course 360 has some innovative games too... PS3 will as well. Like Valkrie. The thing is, those games will be niche games that don't sell but hey, that's what happens. Most Innovative games are niche games that don't sell and review bad because they screw with convention.

So the big bugdet games will take less risks, but to those who aren't OMG it must have an 80+ on metacritic snobs there will be plenty of innovation to be had.