By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will the Protests in Egypt change anything?

It will change how long I'll have to wait before I can go back there...

Around the Network

It looks like Egypt is sliding towards an Iran- or a Syria-like future. Both sound awful :(.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

it's even worse over here, where we are so close to egypt.

Tourism in egypt now is as good as doomed, and that was pretty big I believe.

No, because both sides are as bad as each other. The army ousted Morsi because he was corrupt and Islamist (which left unchecked would lead to tyranny). The Army is less Islamist but it's corrupt and tyrannical. The experts on the matter predicted bad things once the 2 leading candidates for president turned out to be a Mubarak flunky and an Islamist firebrand, And they turned out to be right.

The original Tahrir protest movement got swamped in the elections and neither of the main protagonists represent those people who were wanting real secular democracy. Even though he is a flawed person, El Baradai (SP?) would have been the best president as neither an image of the old order nor a pawn of Islamic fundamentalism. But not enough Egyptian vested interests wanted the sort of govt he'd bring.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

once a military dictatorship always a military dictatorship.

El Baradei's resignation is the scary sign, here. If the liberal elements flee in protest of the authoritarian tactics, then the last two years of progress are undone just like that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

When the military coup started, the common consent in media over here was "the egyptians got frustrated by Mursi and the muslim brotherhood government, the military just listened to will of the vast majority of the population."

Well why didn't they just solve the problem democratically then? Mursi and the muslim brotherhood were not against new elections. Back in february, they already announced new elections to take place starting the 27th of April. But then some court decided there were formal errors in the application and stopped the new elections process. So the elections were ultimately postponed to autumn - why didn't they just wait those few more weeks? The current chaos in egypt will probably last even longer anyway, the negative effects of the military coup and the current massacers will hurt egypt's tourism badly for years.

In my opinion, there's a rather simple explanation:
Because even in new elections, the muslim brotherhood would get the most votes, so new elections would in fact only legitimize the Mursi/muslim brotherhood government for a whole 4 years to come.

I therefor believe that ultimately, the muslim brotherhood and/or their most popular characters will simply not be allowed to be voted.

The main problem is that Egypt has no system to prevent Tyranny of the Majority... and more or less... that's what the majority want. Or are willing to have anyway.

The Muslim Brotherhood will win democratic elections, then slowly (or quickly) undemocratize everything and go against many basic human rights the more liberal part of Egypt wants.

Nations ripped with factional violence will usually end up with a dictator in the end.  Nations have to work out differences between their groups that sufficiently meet the demands of the groups, or you either never have peace or peace by a dictator.