By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics Showdown: The Rematch

JayWood2010 said:

Developers have been saying for months and months that these two consoles have been nearly identical(which could change down the road). So does this article(Whether it has any merit is a different story) but the fans are the ones making it a war. And it is the fans that understand little about hardware, optimization, and the operating system. It is a little annoying to have people arguing about this for months and months when they are not certified (Majority) in Engineering or developing.

I think we are going to be in it for a long haul. They didn't stop arguing about the 'power of the cell' vs Xbox 360 until the PS4 was revealed. Even in December I remember hearing "Developers haven't unleashed the power of the PS3 yet!"

They are going to be arguing about this until the PS5 / Nextbox comes out. There is also some E3 issue that haven't been discussed much yet.  I'm sort of hoping they get solved, or we will find out all about them come November.

But I'm good at making popcorn - even kettle corn - it you want to join me while they duke it out and we play games.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
walsufnir said:
Aside from all specs-talk I am looking forward to first head2head-comparisons. By now I don't *see* an advantage PS4 has over Xbone graphically. But some games *should* show advantages, even big ones, if PS4 is overall so much stronger as some believe.

I wouldn't say it's "so much stronger", but spec-for-spec, it's the more powerful machine.

You know that some fantasizing about 50% more performance... I am taking them for an example. Hell, there are even people on this forum who think PS4 can compete with high-end PC gpus... That's why I said "as some believe". I repeated several times that system-performance is dependant on so many things, spec-by-spec-comparisons never tell you the "real" story.

"192 GB/s (eSRAM) + 68 GB/s (DDR3) = 260 GB/s overall"

Lol. No. Those 2 don't add up like this. xD

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

walsufnir said:
CGI-Quality said:
walsufnir said:
Aside from all specs-talk I am looking forward to first head2head-comparisons. By now I don't *see* an advantage PS4 has over Xbone graphically. But some games *should* show advantages, even big ones, if PS4 is overall so much stronger as some believe.

I wouldn't say it's "so much stronger", but spec-for-spec, it's the more powerful machine.

You know that some fantasizing about 50% more performance... I am taking them for an example. Hell, there are even people on this forum who think PS4 can compete with high-end PC gpus... That's why I said "as some believe". I repeated several times that system-performance is dependant on so many things, spec-by-spec-comparisons never tell you the "real" story.

PS4 GPU has  modifications which solves some of the bottlenecks the PC has, so it gives better results due to the tweaks and optimization done at the hardware level which was explained by Mark cerney itself.

I meant that PS4 GPU can match High end GPU tier, and we need only 60FPS in Consoles where High End GPU's can do more than 60FPS but PS4 can do upto 60FPS without sacrificing much compared to High End GPU.

Read my post for details about modifications: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=164584&page=1

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

walsufnir said:

Yes the PS4 has a more powerful GPU. But what happens with the software will be rather significant too. 

But it is worthy to note that this same author is revising an earlier one where he thought the PS4 would have the advantage. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
walsufnir said:
CGI-Quality said:
walsufnir said:

Can't really balme the select few who compare it to high-end machines when some devs have said the same. I, myself, would disagree, but still get where the thoughts originated.

Yeah, some devs... I don't know where this comes from. I don't want to blame Sony but some statements seem "bought". But even if or if not, this just confuses people and doesn't do any good in the already brutal we already have. "But dev xyz said...!"

Personally I enjoyed better multi-plats this gen on 360 but I think I would have had as much fun with them as on 360, if I could use my 360-controller on PS3 ^^.

biglittlesps said:
walsufnir said:
CGI-Quality said:
walsufnir said:

PS4 GPU has  modifications which solves some of the bottlenecks the PC has, so it gives better results due to the tweaks and optimization done at the hardware level which was explained by Mark cerney itself.

Read my post for details about modifications: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=164584&page=1

We already had a talk about your comparison of PS4 and high end PC GPUs and I already told you it is wrong. No need to get this talk again in this thread. I know of these optimizations but they don't make the 1.8TF any higher.

CGI-Quality said:

Funnily enough, the PS3 proved itself to be the more powerful machine. However, based on your article, you have some things quite wrong. But, by all means, enjoy your snack.

Wait, what? oh, lol. 

But hey, what do you develop on?  Care to enlighen us?

Tell me a funny joke!

Without going into any specifics that reads as though the author has set out to prove a point and has unsurprisingly only found 'facts' to support their preferred point of view.

Even if the PS4 is a full 50% faster (or whatever other number is quoted) than the Xbone, I suspect it is only going to matter for a very small number of 1st party games. Even then, a 50% advantage in power will only result in graphics that are slightly better on a technical front, not 50% better. Both system will end up with fantastic looking games and ultimately the quality of the graphics will have more to do with the skill of the developers than the power of the box.

CGI-Quality said:
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:

As a dev, I know more than you think. Am I allowed to disclose all, nope, but then, I don't need to when other devs, both Indie and Commercial, say what I've said. The machines aren't worlds apart in power, but the PS4 is, overall, more powerful.

So from my understanding some are saying there is a difference and some are saying they are identical.  I guess you guys can argue about it.  Ill play the games and leave that to you all.  Whether I play Ryse or Killzone they both look beautiful to me. Im not going to complain either way.

All fun in the console wars, yippee.