By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics Showdown: The Rematch

Adinnieken said:

What I think is interesting to note is that the PS3 had only 20% of the memory bandwidth that the Xbox 360 had, yet it was still able to offer similar levels of game quality to the Xbox 360. Yet there are people who want to doom and gloom about the supposed significant difference of the Xbox One's bandwidth to the PS4's. With the Xbox One and PS4 we're talking about an even smaller relative percentage difference in bandwidth.

Is that adding things up again?

Xbox 360 512Mb GDDR3 bandwidth is 22.4Gb/s
Xbox 360 10Mb EDRAM is 256Gb/s

PS3 256Mb XDR main RAM 25.6Gb/s (3.2Ghz)
PS3 256Mb GDDR3 vRAM 22.4Gb/s (700Mhz)

vs

XBox One 8Gb DDR3 68 Gb/s
XBox One 32 ESRAM 102 Gb/s

PS4 8Gb GDDR5 176 Gb/s

The unified memory pool together with the blazing fast EDRAM buffer did give 360 an advantage in framerate stability.
This time the xbox one's 'fast' ram is slower then it was on 360 and the entire ps4's memory pool is faster then both. Plus the Xbox 1 still has to make an extra step to fill the 'fast' memory.

We could do something as equally rediculous as adding bandwidth up together, let's look at a weighted average by memory size
360 : ps3 = 26.8 : 24
xb1 : ps4 = 68.1 : 176

We're talking about a much larger relative percentage this time.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:

What I think is interesting to note is that the PS3 had only 20% of the memory bandwidth that the Xbox 360 had, yet it was still able to offer similar levels of game quality to the Xbox 360. Yet there are people who want to doom and gloom about the supposed significant difference of the Xbox One's bandwidth to the PS4's. With the Xbox One and PS4 we're talking about an even smaller relative percentage difference in bandwidth.

Did you just add the bandwidth together for each consoles RAM? Considering your earlier posts, surely you know better than this?

The memory bandwidth is fairly similar in the PS3 & 360 (around 22-24Gb/s). The 10mb eDRAM does have a high bandwidth of 256Gb/s, but was only useful for a small subset of tasks so is not all that useful for comparison. Then there's the different memory architecture which makes direct comparisons problematic.

Any advantage is theoretical until we see it affect a game. I just don't see the benefit of the sheer volume of discussion about this.

Seriously, a more meaningful discussion is Forza Motorsport 5's graphics in comparison to Driveclub's graphics. Of course I'm sure bias disguised as personal preference would even affect those discussions.

This is really going to be an annoying gen for the forums ...

Scoobes said:
Adinnieken said:

Did you just add the bandwidth together for each consoles RAM? Considering your earlier posts, surely you know better than this?

The memory bandwidth is fairly similar in the PS3 & 360 (around 22-24Gb/s). The 10mb eDRAM does have a high bandwidth of 256Gb/s, but was only useful for a small subset of tasks so is not all that useful for comparison. Then there's the different memory architecture which makes direct comparisons problematic.

360's EDRAM was connected to the GPU by a 32gb/s bus, so while it operated internally at 256gb/s, that wasn't the "full" bandwidth it actually had.

RazorDragon said:
Scoobes said:

360's EDRAM was connected to the GPU by a 32gb/s bus, so while it operated internally at 256gb/s, that wasn't the "full" bandwidth it actually had.

True, I forgot about that little bit of info.

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
Any advantage is theoretical until we see it affect a game. I just don't see the benefit of the sheer volume of discussion about this.

Seriously, a more meaningful discussion is Forza Motorsport 5's graphics in comparison to Driveclub's graphics. Of course I'm sure bias disguised as personal preference would even affect those discussions.

Forza wins. DriveClub is doing way more real time stuff that technically is better, but who cares what the numbers say. It was smart for Forza to bake and fake a lot of things. Looks amazing!

JoeTheBro said:
Darth Tigris said:

Forza wins. DriveClub is doing way more real time stuff that technically is better, but who cares what the numbers say. It was smart for Forza to bake and fake a lot of things. Looks amazing!

Until you see the sun setting in DriveClub while you drive(Atleast I hope they have that).

Unless each RAM have a dedicated bus and the APU can access them and load and use their data simultaneously, their speeds shouldn't be added together, but the actual overall speed will be their weighted average, using as weights their respective use percentages, so the theoretical maximum speed will be in ideal conditions the highest of the two speeds, not their sum.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:
CGI-Quality said:

Full-on, Spec-for-Spec comparison:

Manufacturer Sony Microsoft
Generation 8 8
CPU x86 8-core Amd Jaguar processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz x86 8-core Amd custom Microsoft processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz
Graphics AMD Radeon. 1.84 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7870) AMD Radeon.1.29 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7790)
Ram 8GB GDDR5 5500MHz 8GB DDR3 2133MHz
Optical drive Blu-ray / DVD Blu-ray / DVD
Storage space 500 GB built-in HDD 500 GB built-in HDD
Web connection Ethernet IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Ethernet, WiFi
Cloud Storage Yes Yes
Skype No Yes
Region-free Yes Yes
Internet connectivity restrictions No No
Used games & DRM No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the PS4 are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the Xbox One are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish
Video support HDMI Input . Optical Output with 4K Support HDMI Input and Output. Optical Output with 4K Support
Audio HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound
Controllers - PS4 DualShock 4 

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (3Mbps maximum speed)
include a clickable touch pad on the front
include a social-focused Share button, a built-in speaker, and a headphone jack.
- Xbox One controller

Wi-Fi Direct's (250Mbps maximum speed)
New Trigger Rumble Motors
Motion and voice control - PS Eye (1280×800 Pixel Cameras x2) (not included)
- PS4 Move (not included)
- Kinect 2 (1x 1080p HD Camera) (included)
Secondary Screen PlayStation App
Game streaming from PS4 to PS Vita
Xbox SmartGlass
Back Compatibility No native Compatibility. Gaikai (requires additional purchase) No native Compatibility
Operating System PlayStation 4 OS Triple OS (Xbox OS + Windows 8 kernel + Virtualization OS)
Cloud computing Yes  Yes
Online gaming PlayStation Plus 
$50 - year / $18 - 3 months
Xbox Live Gold
$60 - year / $25 - 3 months / $10 - 1 month
Features - PS4 Will update while switched off

- Play digital titles as they download from the PS Store

- Immediately pick up any game from where you left off with "suspend mode"

- PSN Friend Limit Is Increasing

- PS4 Chargers your Controller while Sleeping

- Anytime remote play

- The ‘share’ button on the DualShock 4 controller offers a gamer the choice to share some of her recorded gameplay on social and video sites.

- You can invite an online friend to ‘watch’ or even ‘play’ your game in real time.
- Watch live TV from your cable or satellite set-top box through Xbox One

- The Xbox ONE's 'Snap mode' will allow multi-tasking, like watching a film and making Skype calls simultaneously

- The console will recognise you through the Kinect camera, and once it recognises you, it logs you in

- The Xbox has the ability to hold group video calls through the gaming console

- Stay on top of by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends

- The voice-activated software allows a user to scroll across applications, including games, tV and music. Switching from TV to gaming to music is just like changing a channel on your tv, just with the sound of your voice

If I have anything wrong, someone let me know, as long as it is confirmed, and I will adjust it. Truth is, these consoles aren't that far apart in capabilities, overall, but the PS4 will have some graphical advantages in the end.

Very nice table.

The Xbox One Wireless Controller does not use Wi-Fi Direct.  It uses a proprietary RF-based wireless technology. (Confirmed by Microsoft's Marc Whitten and Larry Hyrb).  Most likely, this is a UHF-based wireless technology based on a relatively recent patent awarded to Microsoft.

The OS names are technically Orbis (PS4) and HyperV (Xbox One).

Xbox One's network connectivity is the same as the PS4's as listed except it also includes Wi-Fi Direct.

The Xbox One can do the following too:

- Xbox One will update while switched "off"

- Xbox One will play digital titles as they download from the Xbox LIVE.

- Xbox One will immediately pick-up any game from where you left off.

- The Xbox LIVE friend limit Is Increasing

- Xbox One charges your controller while sleeping.

- Xbox One can share recorded gameplay on social and video sites using the Upload center.

- With Xbox One you can invite an online friend play your game in real time.

Also, RAM is R A M, not Ram.  It's an acronym for Random Access Memory.  The Xbox One also has 32MB of ESRAM.

The PS4 OS isn't Orbis, it's like Dynamic or something.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/159476-ps4-runs-orbis-os-a-modified-version-of-freebsd-thats-similar-to-linux

darkknightkryta said:
JoeTheBro said:
Darth Tigris said:

Until you see the sun setting in DriveClub while you drive(Atleast I hope they have that).

Xbox fans don't have to be jealous, Forza Horizon is already doing it.