By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics Showdown: The Rematch

CGI-Quality said:

Full-on, Spec-for-Spec comparison:

Manufacturer Sony Microsoft
Generation 8 8
CPU x86 8-core Amd Jaguar processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz x86 8-core Amd custom Microsoft processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz
Graphics AMD radeon. 1.84 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7870) AMD radeon.1.23 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7790)
Ram 8GB GDDR5 5500MHz 8GB DDR3 2133MHz
Optical drive Blu-ray / DVD Blu-ray / DVD
Storage space 500 GB built-in HDD 500 GB built-in HDD
Web connection Ethernet IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Ethernet, WiFi
Cloud Storage Yes Yes
Skype No Yes
Region-free Yes Yes
Internet connectivity restrictions No No
Used games & DRM No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the PS4 are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the Xbox One are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish
Video support HDMI Input . Optical Output with 4K Support HDMI Input and Output. Optical Output with 4K Support
Audio HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound
Controllers - PS4 DualShock 4 

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (3Mbps maximum speed)
include a clickable touch pad on the front
include a social-focused Share button, a built-in speaker, and a headphone jack.
- Xbox One controller

Wi-Fi Direct's (250Mbps maximum speed)
New Trigger Rumble Motors
Motion and voice control - PS Eye (1280×800 Pixel Cameras x2) (not included)
- PS4 Move (not included)
- Kinect 2 (1x 1080p HD Camera) (included)
Secondary Screen Playstation App
Game streaming from PS4 to PS Vita
Xbox SmartGlass
Back Compatibility No native Compatibility. Gaikai (requires additional purchase) No native Compatibility
Operating System PlayStation 4 OS Triple OS (Xbox OS + Windows 8 kernel + Virtualization OS)
Cloud computing No Yes
Online gaming Playstation Plus 
$50 - year / $18 - 3 months
Xbox Live Gold
$60 - year / $25 - 3 months / $10 - 1 month
Features - PS4 Will update while switched off

- Play digital titles as they download from the PS Store

- Immediately pick up any game from where you left off with "suspend mode"

- PSN Friend Limit Is Increasing

- PS4 Chargers your Controller while Sleeping

- Anytime remote play

- The ‘share’ button on the DualShock 4 controller offers a gamer the choice to share some of her recorded gameplay on social and video sites.

- You can invite an online friend to ‘watch’ or even ‘play’ your game in real time.
- Watch live TV from your cable or satellite set-top box through Xbox One

- The Xbox ONE's 'Snap mode' will allow multi-tasking, like watching a film and making Skype calls simultaneously

- The console will recognise you through the Kinect camera, and once it recognises you, it logs you in

- The Xbox has the ability to hold group video calls through the gaming console

- Stay on top of by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends

- The voice-activated software allows a user to scroll across applications, including games, tV and music. Switching from TV to gaming to music is just like changing a channel on your tv, just with the sound of your voice

If I have anything wrong, someone let me know, as long as it is confirmed, and I will adjust it. Truth is, these consoles aren't that far apart in capabilities, overall, but the PS4 will have some graphical advantages in the end.

Nice, CGI.

It troubles me how far people attempt to bend information. PS4 and X1 are very similar except the RAM and GPU; it's what sets them apart and clearly in PS4's favor. One common mistake is they think you can add bandwidths. I've said it earlier, this whole mess is pretty much saying that there is no difference between the 7790 and 7870, which is obviously false.

Also, (even though Sony denied this rumor) 4.5GB GDDR5 176GB/s > 5.0GB DDR3 68GB/s + eSRAM so not sure what Xbros are desperateky trying to cheer for.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
darkknightkryta said:
walsufnir said:
darkknightkryta said:
dsgrue3 said:

Is fachhochschule the equivalent of graduate school, more along the lines of a Master's degree or is University just 2 years there and then the next 2 are fachhochschule? 

It sounds like a similar curriculum from the standpoint of theory, but the way it was structured here was adding the practical aspect of coding the algorithms, programs, principles, and even maths with differential equations. Every bit of theory was related back to coding, except in physics/calc and the general university required courses.

I hated MIPS, I hated assembly. That low level stuff never seemed interesting to me. One thing I regret is not taking the lab for digital logic to play with the FPGAs and such. I imagine it would have been very beneficial to seeing more than just the theory, seeing the adders and MUXs and all that.

You didn't miss much, all you see is a bunch of lights light up to tell you your output.  The x86 assembly however, that was fun.

So yiu have no idea what FPGAs can do. Thanks for telling us.

Nope XD.  I just remember what our final lab was and it was to program an eprom.  We had them hooked up the the boards and the only way we knew what was programmed right was a light indicator to let us know our bits were right.  We had to draw up a lot of designs for boolean circuits though.  But that was for the other portion of the class.

To me it was one class. You had to code in VHDL, you had to write down graphs, data-paths and stuff (until we found out there is a tool for it in the tool-chain by Xilinx :D), we had to do reports, clock analysis... It was very intense, like all labs at my university.

We had a lot of classes on boolean circuits leading into assembly.  Our Discrete Math class started out with boolean circuits.  Our circuitry class was split into a lab and lecture.  The lab course was an engineering course where we programmed VHDL, we had to use Sparc machines for that one.  It's also where we had to program that eprom.  Though the eprom lab was optional so I didn't do it (But I went in with everyone else who did so we could look at them).  That entire class we merged into one computer class, so vhdl programming and all that fancy was removed.  You had to make digital circuits instead.  The following class was an introduction into assembly.  We programmed 6809 assmembly for CISC and I believe we had to learn... maybe it was an arm processor for RISC.  I can't rememebr.  Then was the final x86 assembly class.  I also took advance organization which dealt with more theory on stuff like caches and programming languages.  That stuff was more theory though.  It was interesting to compare execution speed of different processors though, the emulation layer for CISC processors are killer.  But the hardware classes got slimmed down for whatever reason; the x86 class was removed all together, though it was the most fun of them all.

There's this guy that plays know-it-all and most of the time he seems quite coherent. But as time passes I see he gets super biassed. I tend to get annoyed by his biassed arrogance.

Ex Graphics Whore.

RazorDragon said:
Since the CPUs are the same, there'll be no major graphical difference. Think PS3 vs 360, but maybe even less. Anyone thinking the two consoles will have major differences graphically-wise is fooling themselves, specially after the upgrades XOne received.

Please for the love of all things right in this world, please don't do stuff like this. You don't know this stuff yet you are speaking like you do.

Let's look at the GPU upclock in the Xbox One, since you mentioned it as saying the gap has narrowed. That upgrade increased the GPU flops by roughly 70 gigaflops. Now the difference between the upgraded xbox one GPU and the PS4 GPU is around 540 gigaflops. If you think that small upclock of the xbox one GPU made a difference, you have to admit the power advantage of the PS4 will make a much much larger difference.

If you're talking about the esram upgrade, then the same logic applies. GDDR5 bandwidth advantage becomes more valuable. This also might not even be real since Microsoft hasn't sad anything official about it and the article is full of holes.

Difference between launch games will of course be small. Almost everyone agrees on that. Your reasoning though, that's pretty unique.

JoeTheBro said:
RazorDragon said:
Since the CPUs are the same, there'll be no major graphical difference. Think PS3 vs 360, but maybe even less. Anyone thinking the two consoles will have major differences graphically-wise is fooling themselves, specially after the upgrades XOne received.

Please for the love of all things right in this world, please don't do stuff like this. You don't know this stuff yet you are speaking like you do.

Let's look at the GPU upclock in the Xbox One, since you mentioned it as saying the gap has narrowed. That upgrade increased the GPU flops by roughly 70 gigaflops. Now the difference between the upgraded xbox one GPU and the PS4 GPU is around 540 gigaflops. If you think that small upclock of the xbox one GPU made a difference, you have to admit the power advantage of the PS4 will make a much much larger difference.

If you're talking about the esram upgrade, then the same logic applies. GDDR5 bandwidth advantage becomes more valuable. This also might not even be real since Microsoft hasn't sad anything official about it and the article is full of holes.

Difference between launch games will of course be small. Almost everyone agrees on that. Your reasoning though, that's pretty unique.

I'm just saying that a 540gflops difference won't be anything major in the graphic department. Of course PS4's GPU is more powerful, but, really, it's like playing a PC game at 60fps and then, at the same settings, playing it on a lower framerate or turning down shadow quality. Nothing major.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Generation 8 8
CPU x86 8-core Amd Jaguar processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz x86 8-core Amd custom Microsoft processor. CPU frequency 1.6GHz
Graphics AMD Radeon. 1.84 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7870) AMD Radeon.1.29 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7790)
Cloud Storage Yes Yes
Skype No Yes
Region-free Yes Yes
Used games & DRM No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the PS4 are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish No restrictions. Any game discs that you buy for the Xbox One are yours, and can be shared in whatever way you wish
Video support HDMI Input . Optical Output with 4K Support HDMI Input and Output. Optical Output with 4K Support
Audio HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound HDMI and S/PDIF optical. 7.1 surround sound

include a social-focused Share button, a built-in speaker, and a headphone jack.
- Xbox One controller

Secondary Screen PlayStation App
Xbox SmartGlass
Back Compatibility No native Compatibility. Gaikai (requires additional purchase) No native Compatibility
Operating System PlayStation 4 OS Triple OS (Xbox OS + Windows 8 kernel + Virtualization OS)
Cloud computing Yes  Yes
Online gaming PlayStation Plus 
Xbox Live Gold

- Anytime remote play

- The ‘share’ button on the DualShock 4 controller offers a gamer the choice to share some of her recorded gameplay on social and video sites.

- You can invite an online friend to ‘watch’ or even ‘play’ your game in real time.

- The Xbox ONE's 'Snap mode' will allow multi-tasking, like watching a film and making Skype calls simultaneously

- The console will recognise you through the Kinect camera, and once it recognises you, it logs you in

- Stay on top of by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends

- The voice-activated software allows a user to scroll across applications, including games, tV and music. Switching from TV to gaming to music is just like changing a channel on your tv, just with the sound of your voice

If I have anything wrong, someone let me know, as long as it is confirmed, and I will adjust it. Truth is, these consoles aren't that far apart in capabilities, overall, but the PS4 will have some graphical advantages in the end.

Very nice table.

The Xbox One Wireless Controller does not use Wi-Fi Direct.  It uses a proprietary RF-based wireless technology. (Confirmed by Microsoft's Marc Whitten and Larry Hyrb).  Most likely, this is a UHF-based wireless technology based on a relatively recent patent awarded to Microsoft.

The OS names are technically Orbis (PS4) and HyperV (Xbox One).

Xbox One's network connectivity is the same as the PS4's as listed except it also includes Wi-Fi Direct.

The Xbox One can do the following too:

- Xbox One will update while switched "off"

- Xbox One will play digital titles as they download from the Xbox LIVE.

- Xbox One will immediately pick-up any game from where you left off.

- The Xbox LIVE friend limit Is Increasing

- Xbox One charges your controller while sleeping.

- Xbox One can share recorded gameplay on social and video sites using the Upload center.

- With Xbox One you can invite an online friend play your game in real time.

Also, RAM is R A M, not Ram.  It's an acronym for Random Access Memory.  The Xbox One also has 32MB of ESRAM. 

What I think is interesting to note is that the PS3 had only 20% of the memory bandwidth that the Xbox 360 had, yet it was still able to offer similar levels of game quality to the Xbox 360. Yet there are people who want to doom and gloom about the supposed significant difference of the Xbox One's bandwidth to the PS4's. With the Xbox One and PS4 we're talking about an even smaller relative percentage difference in bandwidth.

Adinnieken said:
CGI-Quality said:

Generation 8 8
Graphics AMD Radeon. 1.84 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7870) AMD Radeon.1.29 TFLOPS (very close to the Radeon HD 7790)
Cloud Storage Yes Yes
Skype No Yes
Region-free Yes Yes

- Xbox One controller

Secondary Screen PlayStation App
Xbox SmartGlass
Cloud computing Yes  Yes
Online gaming PlayStation Plus 
Xbox Live Gold

- Anytime remote play

Very nice table.

The Xbox One Wireless Controller does not use Wi-Fi Direct.  It uses a proprietary RF-based wireless technology. (Confirmed by Microsoft's Marc Whitten and Larry Hyrb).  Most likely, this is a UHF-based wireless technology based on a relatively recent patent awarded to Microsoft.

Xbox One's network connectivity is the same as the PS4's as listed except it also includes Wi-Fi Direct.

- Xbox One can share recorded gameplay on social and video sites using the Upload center.

Also, RAM is R A M, not Ram.  It's an acronym for Random Access Memory.  The Xbox One also has 32MB of ESRAM. 

The PS4 OS isn't Orbis, it's like Dynamic or something.

JoeTheBro said:
Adinnieken said:

Very nice table.

The PS4 OS isn't Orbis, it's like Dynamic or something.

Ok.  I've seen it listed as Orbis OS, so I assumed that was it.

CGI-Quality said:
TimCliveroller said:
There's this guy that plays know-it-all and most of the time he seems quite coherent. But as time passes I see he gets super biassed. I tend to get annoyed by his biassed arrogance.

Um.....huh? D:

That narrows it down to about 20 people.

Feeling paranoid?